You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

2 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Depends on what the governments real model was/is.

Quite.

From that Hammer v Dance article, I’m now in no doubt the UK and US were of the opinion to ride it out as quickly as possible, regardless of how many died & keep the economy on track-ish. 

I’d hope the penny dropped when the “science changed” and they realised the death rates would be more than expected. In reality, I think it was peer pressure from the public & other countries etc which made them change their tune.

The Hammer v Dance article says we won’t see a benefit from the lockdown says we won’t see a slow down in cases for 12 days (which is Saturday) before they start to calm down. Slow down in deaths is another 7+ days after that.

Realistically, I don’t think we’re going to see many improvements until the mid-end of April, by which time, unfortunately, death rates will be significantly higher than they are today. 

Below graph is Italy. We’d tacked similar, deviated away and are now tracking similar to them again (we’ve also changed how our deaths were recorded). I believe Italy initiated their lockdown 7/3. So it’s take 3 weeks to see a stabilisation of deaths....and it’s still a huge figure dying each day. Another 3/4 weeks of lockdown until they can think about lifting it?

My view on this has changed significantly since being in a pub outside Vicarage Road a month ago. On that day I was absolutely if the view of “Its only flu”, fast forward 10 days to Atletico going to the game thinking it didn’t feel right and now literally not knowing how bad it could get. I appreciate it’s not a great look but then again, I’m not a paid government official / health expert paid to make these decisions. 

D8386D67-A15C-483C-B4EC-373D2D73922D.jpeg

I don't quite understand, why is the comparison with Italy in particular so important, other than the fact it has worst cumulative numbers? There are very few similarities. Every country in the EU has its own trajectory and specific situation.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 hour ago, Mudface said:

Of course. Being colourblind myself, we're either doing really well or we're completely fucked.

'For those watching in Black and White, the UK is the dark line. There now follows a Corona Political Broadcast, except for viewers in Scotland.' 

BTW, so sorry to hear of all you folks affected by this in one way or the other, glad to see you are on the mend 'Elite.' 

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Of course I do. I still think the worst of this thing will be nowhere near as bad as the direst predictions.

Oh only it was just a throwaway comment last week you said?  

You stand by a comment saying people will be embarrassed about it all when today the death toll has passed 41,000 people..... 

Scumbag. 

15 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I don't quite understand, why is the comparison with Italy in particular so important, other than the fact it has worst cumulative numbers? There are very few similarities. Every country in the EU has its own trajectory and specific situation.

It's useful data to predict roughly where we'll be two weeks down the line.  Each country will follow its own curve, but there will be similarities too and particularly in the early stages before health services are overwhelmed. 

3 minutes ago, TK421 said:

It's useful data to predict roughly where we'll be two weeks down the line.  Each country will follow its own curve, but there will be similarities too and particularly in the early stages before health services are overwhelmed. 

What are the similarities between Italy and UK?

23 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Of course I do. I still think the worst of this thing will be nowhere near as bad as the direst predictions.

I'd like to know how what has happened so far can not be seen as nowhere near as bad as the direst predictions. Entire businesses have stopped, goverments shut down, people ordered to stay at home, thousands around the world dying every day, hundreds of thousands getting infected, emergency workers being attacked and suffering infection too and that's only at the end of March when it really only started in tiny numbers in January!

4 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

These whole government should be fucked off and an emergency government formed asap.

The only thing I hope for is that after all of this is over, that they are brought to account for their horrific handling of this crisis.

As much as I can't stand the cunt, put Jeremy Hunt (I appreciate the irony of saying this, but he's the only one that has questioned what the fuck we've been doing thus far) in charge of this mess as he seems to have a grasp on this.

I'd imagine there are quite a few Cuntservative MP's and supporters that are regretfully looking back on voting for Boris as leader now over Hunt.

The Tories are fucking made up and the dickhead electorate think they're doing a good job. Don't you worry, they'll come out of this smelling of roses, no doubt about it. 

2 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Sam Coates on Sky just said NHS England and NHS Wales were bidding against each other for buying tests. Obviously NHS England won.

What the actual fuck?

Cuomo was complaining yesterday of the same issue in the US where states were bidding against each other rather than the federal government. 

54 minutes ago, Anubis said:

This fucking cunt has run away to Florida. I hope the prick gets eaten by an alligator.

Isn't Florida pretty much running wild? Very little testing or lock down? 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SasaS said:

He has about as much chance of catching the virus in Florida now anyway.

5 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Isn't Florida pretty much running wild? Very little testing or lock down? 

Come on Howie. Get it sorted.