You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

59 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Cheers Stig , turns out one of the under-reported symptoms of the virus is that it can cause heart palpitations similar to a mild heart attack, but the paramedic she spoke to didn't want to take any chances so she had to go in for an ECG and blood tests. Feels a lot better today and hopefully the meds will help further over the next few days.

At least that sounds positive for a full recovery.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

When our new moee caring and sharing society emerges from the coronavirus recovery, we shouldn't forget people like Toby Young. Get their heads on spikes. 

EUcFVxgX0AEx6qo.png

You really have to hope this massive cunt gets it, gets trapped in his own attic, and spends his last few minutes on the planet being shat on by rats.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

48 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I'm suggesting that they might be quite happy about being on target to achieve what they are aiming to. Not that I am happy.

Well, we have to get through this somehow. The minimum impact to the economy, you could argue, is to get through this as quickly as possible, without the collapse of society. If that is the case, you want to be operating at maximum capacity as soon as possible, for as long as possible until everyone who is going to die is dead.

It's my belief that this is the government objective, and while on the face of it, it is heartless, it may have some logic behind it. The longer this goes on, the more other people will suffer with mental health issues, urgent suspected cancers, general ill health. Social isolation will lead to issues with children's development,supply of food, water, power and strain on the threads of society etc.

The Observer just over a week ago ran some numbers and a similar article called The Hammer and The Dance was doing the rounds, showing that suppression was not possible, and trying to supress things would in the long term be more damaging. I'm not qualified to know what the best path is, but I can guarantee you that there are no good ones.

Some good points made there.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, TK421 said:

Prof Pike of Imperial College said the daily toll would peak at 260.  That was a few days ago. These people are advising the government.   It's unacceptable for the government to continue to be advised by Imperial College.  Sir Patrick Vallance should do the decent thing and resign, if he doesn't he should be sacked along with Chris Whitty.  A new approach is needed because the existing one isn't working. 

Depends on what the governments real model was/is.

12 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Its probably going to be a lot longer than that. You've still got dickheads like those lot who turned up to see that medical ship turn up in New York. Completely missing he whole point either selfishly or through being ignorant fucking idiots. Only last week two bastard women who live opposite each other on our road were sat outside next to each other on deck chairs while their kids were playing in the street. 

5Ydx.gif

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

You are our resident American Political Correspondent, are you not?

Ah, not really, I think people from the US that are on here would be better at that. I just get a bit obsessed during elections and when they're doing the latest coup/warmongering episode.

And yeah for some reason Trump thinks it's fine to openly state stuff then deny he's ever said it like that clip showed, crazy that he's now doing it during this. At the rate he's going Biden might actually have a good chance in November.

14 minutes ago, No2 said:

The figures in Ireland point to a flattening of the curve. We are a good week ahead of the UK in actual terms and appear to be a country mile ahead in terms of adapting to social distancing. 

Not adapting any better,  more decisive, definitive, no grey area decisions and instructions. All this from a lame duck government really should put into focus the dithering mess from the uk government. Maybe that’s the point Leo knows he will not be in power soon and will not have to put up with the aftermath. However have to say he will get quite a bit of kudos for his response to the crisis.

and all this with a completely broken healthcare system before covid

26 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Remember the other posts where you claimed to have 'debunked' the whole thing? You know when you were using daily statistics to prove we weren't on the same trajectory as Italy? 

Clown. 

Er, what? You've just posted an example of me talking about several weeks' worth of figures. On what planet is that picking a single day's figures?

Quite obviously, you can't use a single day's statistics to prove trajectory. And indeed, we're still way behind Italy, as I already proved weeks ago.

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Someone from Tesco in Litherland  posted this on Facebook. Basically bellends just going out to the shop because they are bored and dont want to sit in the house.

FB_IMG_1585667456278.jpg

I went out to the chemist and to Tesco earlier and I asked one of the workers (from a safe distance) where I could find celery salt and another one where the custard was. Does this make me a cunt?

They didn’t even have custard. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Er, what? You've just posted an example of me talking about several weeks' worth of figures. On what planet is that picking a single day's figures?

Quite obviously, you can't use a single day's statistics to prove trajectory. And indeed, we're still way behind Italy, as I already proved weeks ago.

Ok SD. 

24 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Social distancing even today is still not being adhered to. All you need to is look for pics on Twitter, particularly those on public transport and supermarkets.

All I can say is that that doesn't reflect my experiences. The train was virtually empty this morning, as was Liverpool city centre. Supermarkets are tightly regulating numbers of customers at any one time.

18 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Someone from Tesco in Litherland  posted this on Facebook. Basically bellends just going out to the shop because they are bored and dont want to sit in the house.

FB_IMG_1585667456278.jpg

14 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Sounds like a job for Indian police.

• Upvote 1

I tested positive for the virus but am out of hospital now. Just feel light-headed as fuck due to the blood thinners.

There wasn't many young people in hospital with the virus, I was only in there due to the blood clots in my lungs. The 'younger' people tended to be fat, conversely I saw very old people with the virus that appeared to be dealing with it okay, their main issues were the complete inability to care for themselves such as incontinence, feeding, etc but that's probably their general level of independence.

Fortunately I did not get close to the ICU, so can't comment on the demographic in there.

There appeared to be plenty PPE available for staff and enough beds but this is just the tip of the iceberg.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 23

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

The Observer just over a week ago ran some numbers and a similar article called The Hammer and The Dance was doing the rounds, showing that suppression was not possible, and trying to supress things would in the long term be more damaging. I'm not qualified to know what the best path is, but I can guarantee you that there are no good ones.

That article is one I've had bookmarked for a while and have gone back to it a few times. He's not saying suppression isn't possible and would be more damaging (maybe The Observer gave that impression or something), he wants us to fight it.

If some of you can remember I linked a clip from channel 4 news a while back where a guy was on screen being interviewed with his head in his hands at the herd immunity thing (where the clip got removed from twitter and then it was edited after being posted again). He couldn't believe what we were doing and said we needed to lockdown fast. That's the same guy who wrote the article. He concludes with this :

On one side, countries can go the mitigation route: create a massive epidemic, overwhelm the healthcare system, drive the death of millions of people, and release new mutations of this virus in the wild.

On the other, countries can fight. They can lock down for a few weeks to buy us time, create an educated action plan, and control this virus until we have a vaccine.

Governments around the world today, including some such as the US, the UK or Switzerland have so far chosen the mitigation path.

That means they’re giving up without a fight. They see other countries having successfully fought this, but they say: “We can’t do that!”

What if Churchill had said the same thing? “Nazis are already everywhere in Europe. We can’t fight them. Let’s just give up.” This is what many governments around the world are doing today. They’re not giving you a chance to fight this. You have to demand it.

4 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Do I get his head for my spike before or after he's dead? 

I'm afraid it'll be remaining where it is for the forthcoming series next year of "Slash in my attic", where various members of the public get the opportunity to piss on his cold, dead body.

1 minute ago, Elite said:

I tested positive for the virus but am out of hospital now. Just feel light-headed as fuck due to the blood thinners.

There wasn't many young people in hospital with the virus, I was only in there due to the blood clots in my lungs. The 'younger' people tended to be fat, conversely I saw very old people with the virus that appeared to be dealing with it okay, their main issues were the complete inability to care for themselves such as incontinence, feeding, etc but that's probably their general level of independence.

Fortunately I did not get close to the ICU, so can't comment on the demographic in there.

There appeared to be plenty PPE available for staff and enough beds but this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Good to hear you’re feeling better and up and about.

• Upvote 1