You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Terry Waite just been on Sky News giving advice on staying in. 

I had the Fall riff going in my head as soon as he appeared obviously. 

If anyone knows how to while away the hours in a confined space then it's Tezza. Is he still sporting a beard?

I was running those numbers through my head again last night; that we should now or soon be seeing a reduction in admissions due to the lockdown, but then I thought that we've got an unoccupied 4000 bed hospitals and 2 more 1000 bed hospitals being built. So admission are clearly not going to ramp down.

I'm not sure if I can make any sense of the projections now.

• Upvote 1

Prof Pike of Imperial College said the daily toll would peak at 260.  That was a few days ago. These people are advising the government.   It's unacceptable for the government to continue to be advised by Imperial College.  Sir Patrick Vallance should do the decent thing and resign, if he doesn't he should be sacked along with Chris Whitty.  A new approach is needed because the existing one isn't working. 

1 minute ago, TK421 said:

Prof Pike of Imperial College said the daily toll would peak at 260.  That was a few days ago. These people are advising the government.   It's unacceptable for the government to continue to be advised by Imperial College.  Sir Patrick Vallance should do the decent thing and resign, if he doesn't he should be sacked along with Chris Whitty.  A new approach is needed because the existing one isn't working. 

We need someone with a degree in Ecology to run the numbers. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TK421 said:

These numbers are a relic of up to a month ago though. 

Their modelling is obviously wrong, but we don't know how effective or ineffective the actions taken recently are, because there is a delay in their repercussions. 

It's clear that we are still working on flattening the curve and herd immunity/survivor immunity. Everything since the original honest communication can basically be dismissed.

19 minutes ago, TK421 said:

These whole government should be fucked off and an emergency government formed asap.

The only thing I hope for is that after all of this is over, that they are brought to account for their horrific handling of this crisis.

As much as I can't stand the cunt, put Jeremy Hunt (I appreciate the irony of saying this, but he's the only one that has questioned what the fuck we've been doing thus far) in charge of this mess as he seems to have a grasp on this.

I'd imagine there are quite a few Cuntservative MP's and supporters that are regretfully looking back on voting for Boris as leader now over Hunt.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

If you have to get to work and the train network is on a skeleton service , I am not sure how you social distance on the platform / train.

I don't understand this measure, everywhere, surely you should leave the same number of trains or shut them down completely, not reduce them and then have people crammed into them. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Spy Bee said:

These numbers are a relic of up to a month ago though. 

Their modelling is obviously wrong, but we don't know how effective or ineffective the actions taken recently are, because there is a delay in their repercussions. 

It's clear that we are still working on flattening the curve and herd immunity/survivor immunity. Everything since the original honest communication can basically be dismissed.

But Prof Tom Pike published his numbers a few days ago. A lay person like me could easily spot that he was wrong.  Therefore the government should no longer rely on his advice nor the advice of Prof Neil Ferguson.

We're not flattening the curve, it continues on an exponential path.  The death rate will steadily increase like it has in Italy and Spain.  

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I don't understand this measure, everywhere, surely you should leave the same number of trains or shut them down completely, not reduce them and then have people crammed into them. 

Public transport free for all key workers only. Passes for key workers, everyone else stay at home. Furlough the population with a decent living wage.

54 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

He mustn't have said "Two metre, you!" when walking past people. 

YOU NICKED THAT OFF TWITTER. 

48 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Sorry am tired and have been on the PS4 for most of the last 12 hours, then saw this but not sure why you linked it to me? Maybe my brain is too gone at the moment to realise why.

You are our resident American Political Correspondent, are you not?

Just now, Spy Bee said:

I was running those numbers through my head again last night; that we should now or soon be seeing a reduction in admissions due to the lockdown, but then I thought that we've got an unoccupied 4000 bed hospitals and 2 more 1000 bed hospitals being built. So admission are clearly not going to ramp down.

I'm not sure if I can make any sense of the projections now.

The wife had to attend Fazakerley Hospital  A&E last night on a coronavirus-linked issue and it was a scary experience. They have basically split the hospital in half and one half is totally Covid focused. We had to wait on the forecourt until an A&E nurse came out in full space suit garb to take the details and then took my wife through and I wasn't allowed in. She was treated brilliantly and was out within 6 hours but said there were a load of beds all taken with Covid victims and it had the feel of a field hospital. The staff who attended her definitely felt it was going to get worse not better in the short term.

The only light-hearted episode was a middle-aged bloke in a tracky who barged past me and 3 paramedics with a bloke on a trolley when the wife was giving her details, to demand a massage from somebody as his back was killing him and he hadn't slept properly for 2 weeks. The looks on the nurse and paramedics faces was brilliant.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, TK421 said:

We're not flattening the curve, it continues on an exponential path.  The death rate will steadily increase like it has in Italy and Spain.  

It depends. If their aim is to administrate the maximum number of deaths per day to enable us to get to the other side of this situation as soon as possible. they're probably quite happy with progress. We're clearly nowhere near the envisaged capacity yet. If you add another 15000 hospital beds (the private hospitals and the makeshift hospitals) then what does your death toll extrapolate out to?

3 minutes ago, sir roger said:

The wife had to attend Fazakerley Hospital  A&E last night on a coronavirus-linked issue and it was a scary experience. They have basically split the hospital in half and one half is totally Covid focused. We had to wait on the forecourt until an A&E nurse came out in full space suit garb to take the details and then took my wife through and I wasn't allowed in. She was treated brilliantly and was out within 6 hours but said there were a load of beds all taken with Covid victims and it had the feel of a field hospital. The staff who attended her definitely felt it was going to get worse not better in the short term.

The only light-hearted episode was a middle-aged bloke in a tracky who barged past me and 3 paramedics with a bloke on a trolley when the wife was giving her details, to demand a massage from somebody as his back was killing him and he hadn't slept properly for 2 weeks. The looks on the nurse and paramedics faces was brilliant.

Hope she is ok fella 

And the fellas back obviously 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Hope she is ok fella 

Cheers Stig , turns out one of the under-reported symptoms of the virus is that it can cause heart palpitations similar to a mild heart attack, but the paramedic she spoke to didn't want to take any chances so she had to go in for an ECG and blood tests. Feels a lot better today and hopefully the meds will help further over the next few days.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

It depends. If their aim is to administrate the maximum number of deaths per day to enable us to get to the other side of this situation as soon as possible. they're probably quite happy with progress. We're clearly nowhere near the envisaged capacity yet. If you add another 15000 hospital beds (the private hospitals and the makeshift hospitals) then what does your death toll extrapolate out to?

Also, you should look at death numbers in slightly longer periods, there was a big jump in the UK seven days ago, so a lag in weekend numbers may be an influence. The bad news is that that jump las Tuesday was to 87 deaths.

5 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I can scarcely believe what I'm reading. "Quite happy with progress". Fucking hell.