You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Yeah. 209 the day before. Still not good though.

I see this as really fucking good. Where deaths are growing exponentially at this stage normally, any kind of reduction, or tempering of that upward curve is great news.

The last weeks numbers are...

23rd - 54

24th - 87

25th - 43

26th - 113

27th - 181

28th - 260

29th - 209

30th - 180

Like the 25th, although better news, 1 day in isolation doesn’t really tell a story. It could be the start of a (hopefully) downwards trend (most likely) an anomaly. 

I saw a report this morning saying the UK was over the worst of it but I doubt that would be true. 

When would we start to see the impact of the lockdown? Would that be at the end of the initial 3 weeks?

7 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

23rd - 54

24th - 87

25th - 43

26th - 113

27th - 181

28th - 260

29th - 209

30th - 180

Like the 25th, although better news, 1 day in isolation doesn’t really tell a story. It could be the start of a (hopefully) downwards trend (most likely) an anomaly. 

I saw a report this morning saying the UK was over the worst of it but I doubt that would be true. 

When would we start to see the impact of the lockdown? Would that be at the end of the initial 3 weeks?

I’ve read all kinds of different things. Boris Johnson has tested positive and he’s saying he’ll be out of isolation after a week. I read something from Italy saying that the time between catching the virus and dying can be as much as five weeks. 

13 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

They reckon up to 14 days incubation period, but that 30 days after getting it is when most people would be critically ill. So the lockdown period would kick in between 14 and 30 days I would guess.

2 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

They reckon up to 14 days incubation period, but that 30 days after getting it is when most people would be critically ill. So the lockdown period would kick in between 14 and 30 days I would guess.

Which would suggest the numbers now probably aren't very indicative of anything regarding a prediction about the next few weeks.

4 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

This lockdown will be at least 6 weeks, won’t it? Probably 9 or 12.

Just now, Scott_M said:

This lockdown will be at least 6 weeks, won’t it? Probably 9 or 12.

Driving test centres were shut down for up to 3 months and a week later theory test centres at least 3 months.

33 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

23rd - 54

24th - 87

25th - 43

26th - 113

27th - 181

28th - 260

29th - 209

30th - 180

25th was the result of the change in the recording. Was the deaths only recorded from 9am - 5pm.

78 average for both 25th and 26th combined, with a weighting of that on 26th.

We won't see a result of the lockdown for another 2 weeks.

If you look at both Italy and Spain, their numbers have plateaued to a certain extent. That is itself a small ray of light.

The only caveat to all of this is that these number are all recorded deaths at hospitals. How many deaths are not being recorded from people that don't make it hospital?

There have been many reports of care homes being completely wiped out in both Spain and Italy. Add to that there have been some families that have chosen not to admit loved ones to hospital as that it means they will never see them again.

I know the above extremes are not going to apply to the UK, but there will be a number of unrecorded deaths.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TK421 said:

Prof Neil Ferguson is at it again with some more propaganda. Cosy little relationship he has with the Tories. 

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-early-signs-outbreak-slowing-in-uk-says-imperial-college-professor-11965624

He's no Tom Dr William Professor Pike. He's just a pale, shallow imitation.

I bet sky couldn't even afford to get him on the cheap bastards.

43 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

So, if I read this correctly

Lesser Number>Greater Number

If we want to see a downward trajectory of people dying, then I’d say it’s an absolute necessity. Unless you know of some way that more people dying is likely to see us get to zero people dying, as I can only see that happening if everyone dies and then there will be nobody left to die. I’m going to go out on a limb and say I don’t think that latter scenario is the way forward.

16 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

He's no Tom Dr William Professor Pike. He's just a pale, shallow imitation.

I bet sky couldn't even afford to get him on the cheap bastards.

Well Tom Dr William Professor Pike is no Captain Christopher Pike.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Which would suggest the numbers now probably aren't very indicative of anything regarding a prediction about the next few weeks.

Hmm, well to some extent they are. Like, anything closer to horizontal at any stage is better than anything towards vertical, but yes, you can also say that the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Hospital admissions now will be from people infected prior to the 16th you'd estimate - so next weekend should start to see this work its way through.