You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

41 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Yes it will be interesting to see what the impact is: they are also a bit of an outlier in terms of circumstance. Median age of around 40 - compared to northern Italy where median age can be as high as 48 / 49. One of the very lowest obesity rates in Europe (embarassingly, the UK has one of the very highest). A more robust social-welfare/healthcare system. If any country is built for a long-haul approach, its probably Sweden. That said, Norway was one of the first countries to take a hard lockdown stance I think, so clearly not a united point of view across the Nordics.

Other Swedish commentators.saying they will have to go full lockdown next.week we will see

I don't think it has much to do with demographic factors, Sweden has much higher mortality rate than Norway and they are testing much less. Iceland was testing like crazy, they have the highest cases per capita in the world I think, and a low mortality rate. Germany's mortality rate is going up, as they said it would, now they are unable to catch most cases by testing. 

1 hour ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Especially as it’s so new nobody is yet able to definitively say the majority of people can only catch it once, as it is, let alone if it mutates.

Most scientists believe once you catch it you will not catch it again which is probably why Cummings and co flirted with heard immunity but as you say it's a new virus so nothings written in stone.

9 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Most scientists believe once you catch it you will not catch it again which is probably why Cummings and co flirted with heard immunity but as you say it's a new virus so nothings written in stone.

I’ve read that too and it certainly provides a lot of hope in that regard. Let’s hope they’re able to confirm it ASAP.

On the subject of catching the virus twice,

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/the-big-question-over-coronavirus-can-a-person-get-it-twice

Unlikely; which is probably why the Chinese have re opened the infected areas.

Although children over Yemen, Iraq, Syria and the middle east can catch a British made warhead time and time again, the only immunity is death.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

I’ve read that too and it certainly provides a lot of hope in that regard. Let’s hope they’re able to confirm it ASAP.

Yeah let's hope so but as you say its early days so fingers crossed.

18 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I explained to you that was a throwaway remark, a stab at humour and you seemed to except. It's over there go take another look you disingenuous little cunt.

You take things far too seriously. Oh and call me a cunt to my face and I’ll boot you back up your mums grotty black magic fanny. 

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

On the subject of catching the virus twice,

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/the-big-question-over-coronavirus-can-a-person-get-it-twice

Unlikely; which is probably why the Chinese have re opened the infected areas.

Although children over Yemen, Iraq, Syria and the middle east can catch a British made warhead time and time again, the only immunity is death.

And the Middle East? 

18 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Agree in principle but a vaccine is what, 12 to 18 months away? It is simply impossible to enforce lockdown for anywhere near that length of time.

Surely to god it can't last that long. 

The Spanish flu didn't last that long and that killed millions and they never got a vaccine for it either. 

But I do predict we'll be stuck indoors for the guts of 6 months. Unfortunately. 

17 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You take things far too seriously. Oh and call me a cunt to my face and I’ll boot you back up your mums grotty black magic fanny. 

Is that offer open to everyone? 

2 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Surely to god it can't last that long. 

The Spanish flu didn't last that long and that killed millions and they never got a vaccine for it either. 

But I do predict we'll be stuck indoors for the guts of 6 months. Unfortunately. 

I think they are hoping the test kits that show if you have had the virus will sort it out, a herd immunity by stealth maybe? Although I'm guessing.

51 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

What exactly is going on there? 

The government ordered a 21 day curfew. Migrant workers in Delhi and other big cities have been left without homes and any way to get back to their towns or states. They are having to walk, in some cases, half the length of the country. Not even provided transport as everything is shut down. Been watching it on the Indian news channels, it's shocking.

I don't normally do conspiracy theories and it's probably just a coincidence but it's strange timing that the public faces of the government's coronavirus campaign - Johnson, Whitty and Hancock - are all likely to be out of the public eye at the time that we're due to hit the UK's peak of coronavirus cases and while all the right leaning press publications seem to be taking a blame China/blame the faceless British public stance. 

14 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I don't normally do conspiracy theories and it's probably just a coincidence but it's strange timing that the public faces of the government's coronavirus campaign - Johnson, Whitty and Hancock - are all likely to be out of the public eye at the time that we're due to hit the UK's peak of coronavirus cases and while all the right leaning press publications seem to be taking a blame China/blame the faceless British public stance. 

It is interesting that their "symptoms" and positive tests all came at the same time.  They say these things come in threes.  Nice mild symptoms for BJ, too.

24 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Pastie head should still be able to do his shite updates from Mordor surely