You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Guest Pistonbroke
19 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Great to see you back-are you all mended?

Cheers mate, I hope you and yours are coping well? We're all still full of cold with other symptoms, but in the big scheme of things it isn't anything that bad, especially when you see and here what others are having to put up with. Still waiting for a date for the second test I have to undergo and the result of the CT scans on my thorax. Just lots of rest and hammering the streaming services. Having a garden is a also something you appreciate at times like these. Sitting in there yesterday whilst reading a book, and you kind of take more notice of the wildlife and beauty which is around you. It was spoilt by some neighbours in an adjacent street having a rave with some real shite music, but the police turned up and I'm certain their bank balances won't be so healthy in the coming weeks, the idiots. 

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

Hope you are all doing ok TLW.

We have Covid19 in our household. It's a bastard virus and you don't want to catch it. 

Hope all recoveries are quick. Thoughts and prayers.

I was in a zoom call with my mate who's on assignment in New York.

He has about a dozen colleagues who have tested positive. One of them was told by their physician he estimates there is another 140,000 infected in New York alone.

2 hours ago, Mr T said:

Hope you are all doing ok TLW.

We have Covid19 in our household. It's a bastard virus and you don't want to catch it. 

Fingers crossed for all of you.

Looking on the bright side nobody is likely to force you onto a plane for the foreseeable 

• Upvote 2

Talking of planes, what a shower of bastards Easyjet have turned out to be. Deliberately waited until 6 days before our flight to Turkey to cancel it and while happy to change flights or offer a voucher online,  you have to actually speak to their call centre for a refund.The phones are extremely difficult to get through to even in normal times never mind with hundreds of flights being cancelled and staff sickness likely to be at an all time high , oh and it is closed on a Sunday.

Friend explained the 'six day' thing to us as it means for the great majority it will make you phone at least twice as the second flight will not be cancelled by the time you are due to fly on the first one.

5 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I think we should just let it spread rampantly becuase the UK government sold some arms to Saudi Arabia. 

Let's keep it in perspective.  People like a slow agonising death, let's have more of it. 

Deliberately missing the point is not big or clever 

• Upvote 1

There's been some discussion on fatality rates but the only correct answer is we don't know. As I heard one epidemiologist say you don't figure out the fatality rate during a pandemic you figure it out way after. 

There are going to be major problems with both the numerator and the denominator in any such calculation and the only way to get it remotely accurate is in deep retrospect. 

When things are uncertain it is always best to hedge towards caution. 

• Upvote 1

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/29/the-observer-view-on-government-failure-in-the-coronavirus-crisis

now I know we all know the gov response was late and indecisive. Have a read in this piece about the ventilators and how they dropped the ball.this is not incompetence to do what they did suggests they had totally different plan (herd immunity ?).

for those busy working out excel worksheets of who would have died anyway and how many will die due to a 6% drop in the economy , whatever your beliefs , it has taken a minister from Ghana today to put all the arguments to bed  for the short term “ we know how to fix the economy, we don’t know how to fix death”  . Well said that man

edit can’t get link to embed

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Surely if the numbers reduce and people go outside again, the numbers will go up again?

This is the main thing for me. What if a cure isn't found ? Are we then in a vicious circle where this virus is always out there and has a high infection period like seasonal flu ?  

18 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

This is the main thing for me. What if a cure isn't found ? Are we then in a vicious circle where this virus is always out there and has a high infection period like seasonal flu ?  

Especially as it’s so new nobody is yet able to definitively say the majority of people can only catch it once, as it is, let alone if it mutates.

Guest Alex_K
3 hours ago, clockspeed said:

Sweden the outliers in terms of approach

https://flip.it/zqeocg

Yes it will be interesting to see what the impact is: they are also a bit of an outlier in terms of circumstance. Median age of around 40 - compared to northern Italy where median age can be as high as 48 / 49. One of the very lowest obesity rates in Europe (embarassingly, the UK has one of the very highest). A more robust social-welfare/healthcare system. If any country is built for a long-haul approach, its probably Sweden. That said, Norway was one of the first countries to take a hard lockdown stance I think, so clearly not a united point of view across the Nordics.

Andrew Neil on twitter suggesting the reason Germany are doing better at dealing with this pandemic is because of their private insurance based healthcare system in comparison to the NHS. He has yet to explain why the US are really struggling though.. eek.

18 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Andrew Neil on twitter suggesting the reason Germany are doing better at dealing with this pandemic is because of their private insurance based healthcare system in comparison to the NHS. He has yet to explain why the US are really struggling though.. eek.

They watched Italy like a hawk and acted accordingly unlike the UK/U.S who pretty much did nothing in terms of planning.

Guest Alex_K
12 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

They watched Italy like a hawk and acted accordingly unlike the UK/U.S who pretty much did nothing in terms of planning.

Not quite true. Germany response differed across States - there was not a completely unified view. Despite it escalating more quickly than in the UK nightclubs in cities like Berlin and Hamburg -- for example -- were still open until relatively recently, whereas some States went into much quicker shut down. Berlin - again for example - was trying to hold Bundesliga games open to the public as late as w/e 15th March, against recommendations. Nothing is ever black/white.