You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

56 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

"US deaths doubling every 3 days". US deaths also represent a 1.6% fatality rate of those explicitly tested positive. That fatality rate assumes everyone with corona in the US has tested positive. They won't (i.e. asymptomatic carriers - the majority aged under age 40). Assumes everyone who has died with Corona infection would have lived for a prolongued period anyway. They wouldn't. Assumes China numbers were accurate. They won't have been.

Meanwhile Imperial College (who have been a key source on worst + best case estimates over the past months) today estimated UK Corona-deaths will be less than those from seasonal flu. There's a time to be negative and a time to be positive.

A lot of US deaths might not have been reported : Doctors And Nurses Say More People Are Dying Of COVID-19 In The US Than We Know

And even if the death rate ends up being low we can clearly see that medical staff around the world are having massive problems with this. Adding a new virus like this on top of what medical staff already had to deal with isn't something that they're able to cope with properly. But that's of no concern to right wingers. They just want their saviours to come out of this looking good (their leaders and/or the holy economy.) They don't give a fuck about hospitals being overrun or all of the deaths that could be prevented. Instead they make out like the holy economy has to be saved because more deaths could result from that if it isn't immediately back up and running.

Even though the central banks could just type more numbers into accounts to help anybody instead of bailing out the rich, and throwing a few morsels out to the poor to keep most of them alive so they can slave away for the economy again when it's back up and running.

And even if this whole thing has been a big conspiracy to say, transfer wealth to the rich in one of the most psychopathic events in the history of humanity and/or some other insane reason(s), medical staff around the world still can't cope with these massive influxes, people at risk of dying don't deserve to be exposed to it, and there's still no vaccine. Holding out for another month or two in the hope that we can get this under control is still the best thing to do.

Guest Alex_K

@Red Phoenix- its a long post so I won't quote it, but your link is to BuzzFeedNews. Do you know what you get if you type BuzzFeedNews into google? The screenshot attached. The article has no named-sources in hospitals. Its important to refer to facts at times like this, or at least to try and look closely at information sources.

I don't think this is a conspiracy. This is putting huge burden on hospital services - clearly. I also think the ramifications go far beyond the immediate view - and it warrants a complex discussion. By and large, this event has actually spoken very well of humanity - the majority of communities have really pulled together, social-contributions have gone way up & people the world-round are abiding by the guidance of their governments.

Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 03.18.14.png

21 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

@Red Phoenix- its a long post so I won't quote it, but your link is to BuzzFeedNews. Do you know what you get if you type BuzzFeedNews into google? The screenshot attached. The article has no named-sources. Its important to refer to facts at times like this, or at least to try and look closely at information sources.

I don't think this is a conspiracy. This is putting huge burden on hospital services - clearly. I also think the ramifications go far beyond the immediate view - and it warrants a complex discussion.

I think Buzzfeed is shit, but get the feeling that this isn't all just made up fictional medical characters. The US has fucked up almost everything so far so I think a lot of deaths won't have been reported either. And I really doubt that buzzfeed will be the only ones to have reported on this subject by the time we're done dealing with this virus.

The conspiracy thing was what I added in at the end and not meant to refer to anything you said. The point was that no matter what the situation is with this virus we still have these problems : medical staff can't deal with this big influx on top of what they already had, people don't deserve to be exposed to and then left to die to this, and we still have no vaccine. So a lot of things might not turn out to be as bad as we first thought, like the death rate for example, but I don't think there's much of a reason to be positive about what's happening either.

Our governments could've avoided so much of this turning out like this (China included) but of course they haven't so we have to deal with it for the time being.

33 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

@Red Phoenix- its a long post so I won't quote it, but your link is to BuzzFeedNews. Do you know what you get if you type BuzzFeedNews into google? The screenshot attached. The article has no named-sources in hospitals. Its important to refer to facts at times like this, or at least to try and look closely at information sources.

I don't think this is a conspiracy. This is putting huge burden on hospital services - clearly. I also think the ramifications go far beyond the immediate view - and it warrants a complex discussion. By and large, this event has actually spoken very well of humanity - the majority of communities have really pulled together, social-contributions have gone way up & people the world-round are abiding by the guidance of their governments.

This from WaPo backs up part of what they said in the Buzzfeed article too (I thought Buzzfeed had linked to this at first but can't find it there now after going back to check) :

Because testing was slow to begin in the United States, health officials agree that the number of confirmed cases is much lower than the actual number of people who have the disease, and even the count of deaths is probably low because of differences in reporting by overwhelmed local jurisdictions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/coronavirus-us-cases-deaths/

I think the NYTimes might back them up as well here, but I'm not making an account just to read it https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/15/us/united-states-coronavirus-response.html

So, in the space of a few days we gone from relaxing restrictions, to quarantining the whole of New York and New Jersey, to not quarantining them.

5h ago 00:35

Trump withdraws quarantine proposal

Donald Trump has now said there will be no need to enforce a regional quarantine on New York and neighbouring states.

A few minutes ago the president tweeted that he would instead have the CDC issue “a strong travel advisory”.

10 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

It's still frightening. 

So swivel. 

Erm,  not trying to downplay the seriousness of the situation but lets keep a bit of perspective, the worst affected country in the world Italy has seen approx 10 thousand deaths, a large percentage had underlying health problems.  The war in Yemen has seen approx 85 thousand children under the age of 5 die of starvation in the past 3 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/21/yemen-young-children-dead-starvation-disease-save-the-children

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Nor will they.

People will be at home for most of April, then probably again next winter for another month.

If we are making randomn predictions can I have a go?

Poor and disadvantaged people in this country are probably the people who will pick up the tab for fighting this virus.  A perfect excuse for massive sovial cuts and job losses plus more draconian police and state power and the erosion of human rights. 

People staying "in next winter for a month" as you casually describe it will in my opinion be irrelevant has there will be little in British life to leave the house for if you are indeed allowed.

I’ve been going out every other day for a 20/30 minute walk round my local streets. It’s not that pretty but I feel better for the exercise and fresh air. 
I’d be very upset if I lived a 5 minute walk from a beach and got shouted at for walking along there! However I bet many of those beaches are not that busy in March usually.  Ridiculous pictures last weekend of crowds by the sea but some perspective is needed, I read somewhere that someone walked 10 minutes to their local seafront and turned around again as it was crowded when they got there.

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

If we are making randomn predictions can I have a go?

Poor and disadvantaged people in this country are probably the people who will pick up the tab for fighting this virus.  A perfect excuse for massive sovial cuts and job losses plus more draconian police and state power and the erosion of human rights. 

People staying "in next winter for a month" as you casually describe it will in my opinion be irrelevant has there will be little in British life to leave the house for if you are indeed allowed.

You did predict Brexit would be the beginning of the demise of the Tory party, so forgive me for taking your predictions with a bucket full of salt. 

9 minutes ago, suzy said:

I’ve been going out every other day for a 20/30 minute walk round my local streets. It’s not that pretty but I feel better for the exercise and fresh air. 
I’d be very upset if I lived a 5 minute walk from a beach and got shouted at for walking along there! However I bet many of those beaches are not that busy in March usually.  Ridiculous pictures last weekend of crowds by the sea but some perspective is needed, I read somewhere that someone walked 10 minutes to their local seafront and turned around again as it was crowded when they got there.

Yeah live by seaside . Last weekend beaches were packed this weekend very few I would say just locals.  Just like everywhere there are knobs about make you think wtf. Was in supermarket everything marked out buying milk at checkout heard someone with bad cough looked around and some knob standing a foot behind me plenty of space to keep away just an arsehole. Said my bit but thought wtf cretin. By the look on his face He probably thought the markings on the floor were rumble strips designed to keep him awake whilst doing weekly shop.

On an aside I trying to avoid supermarkets now local shop is well stocked with what I need and they seem to be making a effort with elderly . That minus the madness of queues has made me realise I will pay an extra 10p a litre for milk there .

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, aRdja said:

You did predict Brexit would be the beginning of the demise of the Tory party, so forgive me for taking your predictions with a bucket full of salt. 

Whoa whoa whoa. Most of my predictions were  proved correct   Not least hpe our of touch this forum was compared to the rest of the country. The Tories lost 2 prime minister's and a former prime minister over Brexit, it was saved by the pro European right wingers in the labour party plus the bbc who both brutally destroyed the reputation of the leader of the opposition whilst giving the government a free pass, an example is the Corbyn interview with Andrew Neil, the only time Johnson was challenged was when a local Nottingham journalist broke through the lines and asked a few relevant questions about the nhs (kid lying on the floor)and surprise surprise the prime minister was fucked. 

The lib dems with the help of Tom Watson (seen his fawning tweet wishing the pm well?) forced the election instead of letting the tories implode,  a hung parliament was on the cards. The bogus anti semitism guff engineered by the labour friends of Israel didnt help.  

Corbyn had imo a balanced view on the pros and cons of the eu but didnt stand a chance. I make no apologies whatsoever for being against the European capitalist cunts club who once again during this crisis has proven itself to be little more than fucking useless.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Anubis said:

B&M are.

I didn't know that, but only got to Asda yesterday and that's the only shopping I've done in 2 weeks. 

16 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I think you're being a tad overdramatic Barry, although your comment about stretching police resources did make me smile.

Overdramatic to you. Or the government and scientific advice to the rest of us. 

16 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Although I am spending the vast majority of my time couped up in my house, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to go to a petrol station when it's quiet to refuel and buy some essentials. Obviously travelling miles to have a social or go shopping/exercise isn't a good thing but going for a 5/10 minute drive or walk doesn't seem inappropriate at all.

Maybe I'm reading that comment out of context?

A 5 min drive is not quite "driving out to the countryside", although personally I am only using my car to shop. Last weekend Snowdon national park had one of its busiest days on record. I'm sure plenty of people think it's great. Personally I think it's fucking stupid and completely defeats and undermines everything else we're doing. 

As for topping up food in the petrol station, in an ideal world you should be shopping as little as possible to cut down on contact.  I had to get petrol yesterday at Asda (it's an unmanned station) as I'd got down to the bottom of the red and was single figure miles left in the tank. I had a pair of rubber gloves with me, which I used and paid at the pump, throwing the gloves away when I was done. While I was there, there were 3 other people using the pumps. An old lady just in front of me who also wore gloves. And 2 young lads who turned up and used the pumps without gloves or cleaning the pump or chip and pin. This virus lasts for 3 days on those type of surfaces, you can be almost certain this type of contact will cause the virus to be spread. Unless you take the correct precautions, getting petrol is probably one of the worst things you can do.

16 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

Went to Tesco today as we are running out of food & cleaning stuff. The queue went around the car park with people respecting the two metre distancing. It was one in and one out with staff cleaning the handles of the trolleys before you went in. There was also an exclusion zone for the tills. A little late, but good to see anyway.

Maybe I need to change supermarkets! I do have a Tesco just up the road, but didn't go there as I can never get my weekly shop there at the best of times, so figured I'd come home without enough stuff to see me through the week. 

15 hours ago, Gnasher said:

You seem to live in a fairytale world where british police do not or will not abuse the powers given. Good for you.

Society has cunts. There's no reason to think the police are any different, so of course there will be some police who will abuse their new powers. It's just the same as the general population. There is an expectation at this time you follow the rules. Plenty of people aren't because they believe they know better, so they just follow their own selfish path. Then there's what's happened in the charity shop down the road from me last night. Some cunt has broken in and just trashed it. People are cunts. Police are people, so there will always be bad ones. 

Guest Pistonbroke
53 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Hope you are all doing ok TLW.

We have Covid19 in our household. It's a bastard virus and you don't want to catch it. 

Hope you all make a speedy recovery mate, take care. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Weather isn't helping. Yesterday we had 18°C, probably more like 21 in the Sun. Today it is 2.3°C at the moment and trying to snow! 

Edit: Now it is snowing. 

11 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Weather isn't helping. Yesterday we had 18°C, probably more like 21 in the Sun. Today it is 2.3°C at the moment and trying to snow! 

Edit: Now it is snowing. 

Great to see you back-are you all mended?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Erm,  not trying to downplay the seriousness of the situation but lets keep a bit of perspective, the worst affected country in the world Italy has seen approx 10 thousand deaths, a large percentage had underlying health problems.  The war in Yemen has seen approx 85 thousand children under the age of 5 die of starvation in the past 3 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/21/yemen-young-children-dead-starvation-disease-save-the-children

Our government sold 5 billion quids worth of arms to Saudi, the result is a death upon death upon death.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/28/revealed-1bn-of-taxpayers-cash-to-help-foreign-countries-buy-british-arms

• Upvote 1