You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

21 minutes ago, TK421 said:

That's a fair point. I'm just off for a dip in the pool. 

There are over 120 thousand children in temporary accommodation, that's just the tip of a big iceberg, you can add thousands upon thousands of children living in homes of cramped facilities with garden or green space.  A child that suffers that type of constraint for a long period of time could suffer permanent physical and psychological damage compared to a child who is fortunate enough to live in a suburban area with a garden.

I see no reason  why the government couldn't give passes to children in social housing access (as long as with an adult who sticks to distancing) to britains parks, beaches and green areas for a couple of hours every other day. 

59 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

The constancy of mentioning these kids on the 8th floor and contrasting them with people who have swimming pools in their houses, as a reason for people’s movement not to be curbed, is like a reverse version of saying “Cut benefits as a small percentage fiddle the system/there’s a Somalian refugee with 2 kids in a 19 bedroom mansion in Knightsbridge on YOUR tax dollar”. 

It’s wrong-headed, emotive claptrap purely to try and top trump an argument, because oddly there are nuances and a whole mass of people in the middle of those two polarised examples, who are going out and about much further than they need to for essential items or daily exercise. And not just here, all over the world until legal enforcement is being laid down, because yes, it’s fucking tough to do it and virtually nobody would choose to.

I live in a small one bed flat with no outside space and will be here indefinitely, not even allowed out the front door. Outdoor exercise is rather important in my personal situation. It is not marvellous. I can still get a bit of fresh air without jumping in my car and driving to the Pennines, or I can suck it up for a while because I don’t fancy dying of a virus or passing it on to someone else who might.

Have a link on me

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/50631620

21 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

There are over 120 thousand children in temporary accommodation, that's just the tip of a big iceberg, you can add thousands upon thousands of children living in homes of cramped facilities with garden or green space.  A child that suffers that type of constraint for a long period of time could suffer permanent physical and psychological damage compared to a child who is fortunate enough to live in a suburban area with a garden.

I see no reason  why the government couldn't give passes to children in social housing access (as long as with an adult who sticks to distancing) to britains parks, beaches and green areas for a couple of hours every other day. 

The reason is the virus and how infectious it is.  Your policy would expose the people you want to protect to more harm and far more deaths.  

8 minutes ago, TK421 said:

The reason is the virus and how infectious it is.  Your policy would expose the people you want to protect to more harm and far more deaths.  

No it wouldn't. With an adult and correct distance the draconian measures wouldn't be necessary.

I've no personal truck in the argument, I'm comfortable and my kids have grown up. However I remember what it's like and I know people who work with social services and its grim, dont take it from me take it from the kid speaking at the end of this link, he could speak for many thousands. 

They are more like prisons than homes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/50631620

Just now, Gnasher said:

No it wouldn't. With an adult and correct distance the draconian measures wouldn't be necessary.

I've no personal truck in the argument, I'm comfortable and my kids have grown up. However I remember what it's like and I know people who work with social services and its grim, dont take it from me take it from the kid speaking at the end of this link, he could speak for many thousands. 

They are more like prisons than homes.

It absolutely would.  More exposure would lead to more infections.  People should be indoors for the next three months at least to the maximum extent possible.   Then asses matters from there.    

2 minutes ago, TK421 said:

It absolutely would.  More exposure would lead to more infections.  People should be indoors for the next three months at least to the maximum extent possible.   Then asses matters from there.    

Children of key workers still go to school, correct decision; dont you think?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I think it's very important that you lose this current argument, Gnasher.  Very very important.  Posters have returned to the forum especially to win arguments like this one, at a time like this.

1 minute ago, skaro said:

Thank goodness you don't live in Australia, lads - our PM thinks "anyone with a job" is a key worker.

Is there no lockdown Down Under?

9 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I do think you raise some valid points Gnasher but for me the most important thing is to save lives and beat the virus. Once it has peaked and cases are decreasing and everyone is wearing masks it will be safer to go outside, that's my view.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TK421 said:

I do think you raise some valid points Gnasher but for me the most important thing is to save lives and beat the virus. Once it has peaked and cases are decreasing and everyone is wearing masks it will be safer to go outside, that's my view.

Surely if the numbers reduce and people go outside again, the numbers will go up again?

Just now, skaro said:

Smart arses in this country still defiantly trying to go to the beach.

My fiancee's cousin lives in Bondi Beach with her partner and baby. Her aunt and uncle are visiting at the moment, or are supposed to be - they've been quarantined in their Airbnb for weeks.

Guest Alex_K
4 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Latest graph stats for people interested. I’d recommend following the fella on twitter who posts them as well. 

"US deaths doubling every 3 days". US deaths also represent a 1.6% fatality rate of those explicitly tested positive. That fatality rate assumes everyone with corona in the US has tested positive. They won't (i.e. asymptomatic carriers - the majority aged under age 40). Assumes everyone who has died with Corona infection would have lived for a prolongued period anyway. They wouldn't. Assumes China numbers were accurate. They won't have been.

Meanwhile Imperial College (who have been a key source on worst + best case estimates over the past months) today estimated UK Corona-deaths will be less than those from seasonal flu. There's a time to be negative and a time to be positive.