You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

6 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Power corrupts once the powerful enjoy the taste. Dont take civil liberties for granted 

Cops and the military will die from this too. I don't think they're very much enjoying being outside, coming in contact with people who may be infected. 

7 minutes ago, J-V said:

I've got absolutely no issues with being paid to sit in my house for the next 6months or so.

Yeah but not every one will, the report showed a man and wife fighting with police because they were trying to get to family members for money and were being prevented from doing so, then showed reports of supermarkets being looted, like I say, massive problems ahead.

33 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The people worried about these lock downs being the first step toward some kind of long term martial law or police state situation couldn't be further from the point and are weirdos. 

Hmmm. It strikes me that if anyone was planning a more permanent rollback of freedoms, that this would be the perfect situation for seeing how far you could go. Certainly we're finding out which individuals can be relied upon to toe the government line unquestionably, mentioning no names. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Yeah but not every one will, the report showed a man and wife fighting with police because they were trying to get to family members for money and were being prevented from doing so, then showed reports of supermarkets being looted, like I say, massive problems ahead.

Some people will be unruly dickheads, no doubts there.  The rest will have to tough it out until a vaccine arrives. 

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Hmmm. It strikes me that if anyone was planning a more permanent rollback of freedoms, that this would be the perfect situation for seeing how far you could go. Certainly we're finding out which individuals can be relied upon to toe the government line unquestionably, mentioning no names. 

Right, you got me down to a tee. I'm a big government guy. 

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

4ee.gif

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

You seem to live in a fairytale world where british police do not or will not abuse the powers given. Good for you.

Listen squire, I have lived enough to know exactly what the Police are like. I've done and seen things you can only dream about. I've fought alongside and against many forms of authority. The closest you've been to having any sort of real life is wanking over Police Academy 2 in your mums box room. 

4 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

This shit supposed to be funny? How old are you?

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I couldn't agree more. It's a perfect dress rehearsal.  As for the mentioning of names I'd say approximately 90% of this forum, although that may be down to the prevalent herd mentality that exists here 

5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

From memory Gnasher is getting on for 60.  Maybe he should be allowed to do whatever he wants.  What’s the worst that could happen? 

I dont want or advocate people doing what they want. I'm simply asking for a bit of perspective in the hysteria.

Just now, Gnasher said:

I couldn't agree more. It's a perfect dress rehearsal.  As for the mentioning of names I'd say approximately 90% of this forum, although that may be down to the prevalent herd mentality that exists here 

There's no easy answers, though.  By encouraging people to go out and with your laissez-faire attiutude more people will die from the virus. 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Listen squire, I have lived enough to know exactly what the Police are like. I've done and seen things you can only dream about. I've fought alongside and against many forms of authority. The closest you've been to having any sort of real life is wanking over Police Academy 2 in your mums box room. 

You know fuck all kid.

1 minute ago, Captain Howdy said:

Agree in principle but a vaccine is what, 12 to 18 months away? It is simply impossible to enforce lockdown for anywhere near that length of time.

Right, but it's either stay at home or more people die.  It's up to us how we respond as a society collectively. 

I think one of the main problems is that a lot of countries have been fine with the idea of locking down but many of them haven't done the other half of what made this work in the East : mass testing and contact tracing. If you're only testing cases in hospitals for the most part it's not doing the job of stopping new cases. And if countries eventually lockdown but didn't do the testing early on then things are already in a bad state like we're seeing all over Europe and in the US.

If we could get that other half of it sussed we could actually solve this, but without it I can't see how it works out very well. Maybe governments around the world will eventually start working this out. If we're to get this sorted fast and prevent a lot of the unrest that could be starting up shortly as people are sick of being isolated they might have to move quickly on it too.

It's ok saying they're too authoritarian in the East as well but look at the US now (Guardian updates) :

From police roadblocks in the Florida Keys, national guard troops knocking on doors in Rhode Island in attempt to “hunt down” New Yorkers, and city leaders nationwide threatening fines for residents found out in the open, the effect of the coronavirus pandemic on personal freedoms was becoming clearer on Saturday, as the death toll continued to rise.

Measures in Rhode Island attracted harsh words from the American Civil Liberties Union, which criticized what it saw as the “blunderbuss approach” of state troopers stopping vehicles from New York and ordering occupants into quarantine.

According to researchers at Johns Hopkins University, New York state led the nation with more than 46,000 confirmed cases by Saturday morning, compared to Rhode Island’s 203.

“Under the Fourth Amendment, having a New York state license plate simply does not, and cannot, constitute probable cause to allow police to stop a car and interrogate the driver, no matter how laudable the goal of the stop may be,” Steven Brown, executive director of the Rhode Island’s ACLU chapter, said in a statement.

“The ACLU recognizes that strong measures are needed to address the public health crisis but giving the state police the power to stop … cars that are merely traveling through the state is a blunderbuss approach that cannot be justified in light of its substantial impact on civil liberties.”

So things are already getting authoritarian. We need to be mass testing and tracing though by the looks of it to start clearing this up. Otherwise we might just have authoritarian for ages and no let up any time soon because new cases aren't being cut down.

23 minutes ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

It’s really hard on extroverts; one of my former colleagues is losing her mind- she cannot stay still unless she is socializing and is always going here and there and knows everyone.

I like a party etc as much as the rest of them.  If it means keeping myself and family safe I'll chose the staying in option rather than being an absolute cunt.