You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Tub of lard would be at 40% right now.

Actually 55%

However, our latest figures show there has been a shift in public approval, with over half (55%) now having a favourable opinion of the Prime Minister and just over third (35%) having an unfavourable opinion. This leaves him with a net score of +20, his highest rating by some distance since becoming leader.

17 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

In the UK, maybe - doubtful, but maybe.

Worldwide there are definitely countries that will suppress information. They have been doing for a long, long time, why would they stop now?

Why doubtful? We have a system open to scrutiny. There are thousands who have access to the clinical coding metadata (which is, usually, published about 3 months after a period - will likely take longer for this period).  There will be major studies to review cases potentially not captured (most obviously those not tested) and those captured who may have died for unrelated reasons (a much smaller number).

It boggles my mind why people want to engage in hysterical conspiracy rather than look at the obvious need to keep up the pressure for testing, contact tracing and availability of PPE.

Similarly with the modelling, numbers have dropped massively because we are now observing social distancing (Professor Ferguson was quoting 400,000 as a possibility a month ago - don't believe he was an exponent of the herd immunity bollocks - which really needs an inquest when all is said and done). Due to the incubation period we know there will be AT LEAST a two week period before genuine new cases likely level off, let alone drop. Even then testing will take time to catch up with the curve of actual cases. Numbers rising does not mean it isn't working.

• Upvote 3

@Pidge

It boggles my mind why people want to engage in hysterical conspiracy rather than look at the obvious need to keep up the pressure for testing, contact tracing and availability of PPE.

I wouldn't say questioning the reporting at this time is a hysterical conspiracy theory and I imagine the vast majority of anyone questioning that would also be advocating to keep up the pressure. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

@Pidge

I wouldn't say questioning the reporting at this time is a hysterical conspiracy and I imagine the vast majority of anyone questioning that would also be advocating to keep up the pressure. 

Fair enough but I think it splits and undermines focus on things that actually need it, personally.

37 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Why doubtful? We have a system open to scrutiny. There are thousands who have access to the clinical coding metadata (which is, usually, published about 3 months after a period - will likely take longer for this period).  There will be major studies to review cases potentially not captured (most obviously those not tested) and those captured who may have died for unrelated reasons (a much smaller number).

Similarly with the modelling, numbers have dropped massively because we are now observing social distancing (Professor Ferguson was quoting 400,000 as a possibility a month ago - don't believe he was an exponent of the herd immunity bollocks - which really needs an inquest when all is said and done). Due to the incubation period we know there will be AT LEAST a two week period before genuine new cases likely level off, let alone drop. Even then testing will take time to catch up with the curve of actual cases. Numbers rising does not mean it isn't working.

I think when something so out of the normal happens some people find comfort in having a ‘baddie’ to blame and focus on. 

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah cheers bro. We've been doing a weekly shop and the missus suggested we go into lock down ourselves after doing ours next week.

Im thinking of going no sooner than next Wednesday then after that, stay in for as long as we can. Food wise we'd be ok and when the milk runs out, we'd just have to drink plain tea. You just dont want to get to a position where you have little food left so when you need to go shopping, there's fuck all left.

Stay safe.

Although my daughter was able to go the corner shop because her lockdown finished last weekend, today is the 1st time I've been the shops for just on 2 weeks due to family isolation. The big Asda by us was mental and I drove to a little one we have, which was ok. I was quite surprised how well stocked the shelves were. I couldn't get everything, but it was way better than 2 weeks ago. For milk I got a 6 Pinter and it had a date of 9th April on it.l, so it'll do me for a while. You're right, you don't want to leave nothing in your cupboard, but I am hopeful the mentalness of the empty shelves is coming to an end. 

Fuck me, 260 deaths just announced today. It's increasing exponentially. And still you have tits turning up at places going on 'holiday.'

Being a bit of a drama queen I know but Im starting to drift between states of 'it'll be ok' and being scared. Trying not to show it to the missus and my lad who lives with us.

I suggested to the missus that only I go out and do the shopping this coming week. It cuts the risk of exposure to just one of us and I can whizz around Asda quicker than she can because she spends a fucking age pondering to buy this brand or that, whether we need or like it or whether it's the best cut of meat she can find.

Worrying fucking times.

Nothing wrong at all in any of that. It's a sensible approach

So just talking to a mate who is involved in some aspects of the planning. He thinks London is likely to go on further lockdown on Monday. Some issues ahead down there. He told me they're out of ventilators and 2 hospitals are now out of capacity and the new hospital won't be usable for staffing reasons in time. When the additional lock down is in place, the army will be providing street checkpoints. So take that as you will. 

It's interesting just listening to this update. The guy covering the NHS was very careful with his words, saying things like there are ICU beds in London. No mention of equipment though. No mention that some hospitals are full. 

This is a text from an NHS worker As of tomorrow, do not leave home for bread for anything! Because the worst begins tomorrow as the incubation date is met and many people that are positive with the virus start to peak!! It’s at this time other people are most vulnerable! so it is very important to stay home and not to be in contact with anybody, even members of your family if possible!! Being very careful is very important and very crucial at this time!! As from tomorrow we are going to see the start of the peak of those that are positive, then there will be two weeks of calm and then two weeks where it decreases. * What happened in Italy is that they neglected the contagion period and that is why all the cases turned out together and so badly, plus they didn’t know what they were dealing with *. * And finally, please do not receive visits from anyone, not even from the same family. This is all for the good of all. * WE WILL BE IN THE MAXIMUM STAGE OF INFECTION.

Fuck me, 260 deaths just announced today. It's increasing exponentially. And still you have tits turning up at places going on 'holiday.'

Being a bit of a drama queen I know but Im starting to drift between states of 'it'll be ok' and being scared. Trying not to show it to the missus and my lad who lives with us.

I suggested to the missus that only I go out and do the shopping this coming week. It cuts the risk of exposure to just one of us and I can whizz around Asda quicker than she can because she spends a fucking age pondering to buy this brand or that, whether we need or like it or whether it's the best cut of meat she can find.

Worrying fucking times.

Do you have a Bexley’s near you? They have decent meat at reasonable cost.

18 minutes ago, Butch said:

As from tomorrow we are going to see the start of the peak of those that are positive, then there will be two weeks of calm and then two weeks where it decreases. * What happened in Italy is that they neglected the contagion period and that is why all the cases turned out together and so badly, plus they didn’t know what they were dealing with *. 

This part is irresponsible horseshit.  We are no different to Italy. We are no different to Spain, either. There is nothing to distinguish the UK from either country. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

So just talking to a mate who is involved in some aspects of the planning. He thinks London is likely to go on further lockdown on Monday. Some issues ahead down there. He told me they're out of ventilators and 2 hospitals are now out of capacity and the new hospital won't be usable for staffing reasons in time. When the additional lock down is in place, the army will be providing street checkpoints. So take that as you will. 

It's interesting just listening to this update. The guy covering the NHS was very careful with his words, saying things like there are ICU beds in London. No mention of equipment though. No mention that some hospitals are full. 

I recall seeing one of the London hospitals declare a critical event last week saying they were having to turn patients to other hospitals. I don’t think it’s secret information.