You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

12 minutes ago, SasaS said:

True, but it has come at a time when you would, at least looking at it from outside, conclude he has been found wanting as never before in his mandate. As in, at his lowest point as a leader, rating is the highest.

I am not sure that everyone has come to that conclusion.

The bump is for the stimulus plan, not the handling of the early stages of the virus.

Fuck me, 260 deaths just announced today. It's increasing exponentially. And still you have tits turning up at places going on 'holiday.'

Being a bit of a drama queen I know but Im starting to drift between states of 'it'll be ok' and being scared. Trying not to show it to the missus and my lad who lives with us.

I suggested to the missus that only I go out and do the shopping this coming week. It cuts the risk of exposure to just one of us and I can whizz around Asda quicker than she can because she spends a fucking age pondering to buy this brand or that, whether we need or like it or whether it's the best cut of meat she can find.

Worrying fucking times.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

I am not sure that everyone has come to that conclusion.

The bump is for the stimulus plan, not the handling of the early stages of the virus.

It seems to be the predominant view outside the US. 

The things that worries me about this pandemic is that the richest nations are already stretched and it hasn't even started yet in full scale. Extra hospitals being built by us and the U.S.

How the fuck are the poorest nations going to cope?

India, 1.3 billion population, a shitload living in atrocious conditions. Africa, South America.

It's quite frightening.

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Fuck me, 260 deaths just announced today. It's increasing exponentially. And still you have tits turning up at places going on 'holiday.'

Being a bit of a drama queen I know but Im starting to drift between states of 'it'll be ok' and being scared. Trying not to show it to the missus and my lad who lives with us.

I suggested to the missus that only I go out and do the shopping this coming week. It cuts the risk of exposure to just one of us and I can whizz around Asda quicker than she can because she spends a fucking age pondering to buy this brand or that, whether we need or like it or whether it's the best cut of meat she can find.

Worrying fucking times.

Mate, you're right to be afraid. This could get any of us at any time. I went shopping today and bought a full weeks supply so I don't need to go out to the shops again this week, I'm actually hoping with the bits in the cupboard I might be able to stretch a day or two more. When I went today, I cleaned the trolley before I started and I had to get petrol and did the same with the pump too. Hopefully any of us who catch it get the virus get mild symptoms, but who knows what will happen? We've all got to be careful and cut down on all our contacts. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Not sure what that would have to do with his approval rating tbh.

Our impression outside of the US, based on reading US media, was that he has completely failed as a leader so far. Majority of Americans thought his reponse to the crisis was good, and his approval rating was best ever. My point is that in a crisis (most) people would rally around their current leadership, because in a crisis, people our desperate for leadership, any leadership. So at first, any leader would enjoy incresed support. 

4 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Mate, you're right to be afraid. This could get any of us at any time. I went shopping today and bought a full weeks supply so I don't need to go out to the shops again this week, I'm actually hoping with the bits in the cupboard I might be able to stretch a day or two more. When I went today, I cleaned the trolley before I started and I had to get petrol and did the same with the pump too. Hopefully any of us who catch it get the virus get mild symptoms, but who knows what will happen? We've all got to be careful and cut down on all our contacts. 

Yeah cheers bro. We've been doing a weekly shop and the missus suggested we go into lock down ourselves after doing ours next week.

Im thinking of going no sooner than next Wednesday then after that, stay in for as long as we can. Food wise we'd be ok and when the milk runs out, we'd just have to drink plain tea. You just dont want to get to a position where you have little food left so when you need to go shopping, there's fuck all left.

Stay safe.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SasaS said:

Our impression outside of the US, based on reading US media, was that he has completely failed as a leader so far. Majority of Americans thought his reponse to the crisis was good, and his approval rating was best ever. My point is that in a crisis (most) people would rally around their current leadership, because in a crisis, people our desperate for leadership, any leadership. So at first, any leader would enjoy incresed support. 

I imagine alot would have to do with which media you have chosen to read.

My guess is the majority of governments response is thought to be wanting and this may come back to haunt him in November.

People have rallied around him, you were the one who pointed out the ratings bump. As I said, that bump is not near what past Presidents have enjoyed in similar crisis'.

40 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

The stat is "patients who tested positive for coronavirus" that have then died. So what suggests she isn't included? She clearly fulfils both criteria.

Furthermore, the clinical records will have encoded the positive test, her medical record will contain both the result and the fact she later passed away. 

Fully tracking this is not easy. It will take time. It does not mean information is being suppressed.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah cheers bro. We've been doing a weekly shop and the missus suggested we go into lock down ourselves after doing ours next week.

Im thinking of going no sooner than next Wednesday then after that, stay in for as long as we can. Food wise we'd be ok and when the milk runs out, we'd just have to drink plain tea. You just dont want to get to a position where you have little food left so when you need to go shopping, there's fuck all left.

Stay safe.

Milk is one of the few things that didn't seem to be in short supply when the initial panic buying set in. If you do run out of anything stick it on here. Someone will always help out if we can.

• Upvote 1

I imagine alot would have to do with which media you have chosen to read.

My guess is the majority of governments response is thought to be wanting and this may come back to haunt him in November.

People have rallied around him, you were the one who pointed out the ratings bump. As I said, that bump is not near what past Presidents have enjoyed in similar crisis'.

And I imagine we are arguing the same thing, but if it helps, I am willing to concede defeat.

1 minute ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Milk is one of the few things that didn't seem to be in short supply when the initial panic buying set in. If you do run out of anything stick it on here. Someone will always help out if we can.

Cheers bud. Yeah milk seems to be one thing that's good. We go through a shit load as we like a cuppa virtually every hour!

1 minute ago, SasaS said:

And I imagine we are arguing the same thing, but if it helps, I am willing to concede defeat.

I am not really arguing anything -- the comment was on the "best ever" rating being a little misleading.

He is two tenths of a percentage point above what he was the day he was sworn in.

I am not really arguing anything -- the comment was on the "best ever" rating being a little misleading.

He is two tenths of a percentage point above what he was the day he was sworn in.

True but at the time he was "riding high" and now, the impression is he is at the lowest point of his presidency, due to the government response, and yet he has the best rating ever, as the result of people rallying around the leader, any leader, in a crisis. Tub of lard would be at 40% right now.