You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

832 new deaths in Spain.

From what I've heard and seen from there today, it's grim as fuck.

Figures could be the tip of the iceberg as below suggests:

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_news/2020-03-28/coronavirus-death-toll-in-spain-reaches-5690-but-real-figure-could-be-higher.html

Underreporting of deaths

A document by the Carlos III public health institute which EL PAÍS has seen took recent civil registry death records and compared them with the average number of deaths in Spain’s regions since 2008, finding significant surges in deaths in Madrid, Castilla-La Mancha and Castilla y León during this month of March. Yet many of those deaths, even when coronavirus symptoms were present, did not get added to the national tally because no formal test was ever conducted on the victims.

Regional governments only notify the Health Ministry about a coronavirus death if the patient was previously tested and the test came back positive, said two health officials at two regional governments. “This leaves out many people who died in residences or in their own homes, and who were never tested,” said one of these sources.

This means that the figures offered daily by Fernando Simón, the head of Spain’s health emergency coordination center, are only providing a partial picture of the true extent of the pandemic.

“We already knew that the real number of infections is much higher than what is being detected. Now we are discovering that the number of deaths is also much higher,” said Daniel López Acuña, a former official at the World Health Organization (WHO) who currently teaches at the Andalusia School of Public Health.

4 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Prof Neil Ferguson of Imperial College, who developed the modelling used by the government, says it takes time before any measures, such as social distancing, have an effect.

This arsehole needs holding to account when this is all over. 

Our own government can't adhere to social distancing, let alone the poor fuckers who have no choice as they are trying to feed their families.

Can you tell I'm on the warpath today?

1 minute ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Our own government can't adhere to social distancing, let alone the poor fuckers who have no choice as they are trying to feed their families.

I like it. We need a warpath because there is so much dangerous misinformation coming out from Government lapdogs the BBC, Torygraph etc.

Does anyone actually have any figures or estimates how much higher the death toll goes if you add suspected Corona deaths (not tested, not died in hospitals)? For example, Italy alone had about 660,000 deaths last year, which would suggest some 55,000 people would have died during the pandemic in the past 30 days without Corona virus, when Corona deaths are listed at over 9,000.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

It's a fair point. 

I've seen numerous dickheads over the past days who are dressed like an extra from Contagion but are walking past people at distances closer to six inches rather than six foot. 

I walked in the main road earlier (it wasn't busy) as people on the pavements aren't making the effort to keep a distance from each other. 

33 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Prof Neil Ferguson of Imperial College, who developed the modelling used by the government, says it takes time before any measures, such as social distancing, have an effect.

This arsehole needs holding to account when this is all over. 

I think you have the perfect qualifications to take the Professor (of Imperial College) to task.  I mean, there’s a chance he’ll be wrong, but why didn’t they approach you? You were obviously the man for the job.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Does anyone actually have any figures or estimates how much higher the death toll goes if you add suspected Corona deaths (not tested, not died in hospitals)? For example, Italy alone had about 660,000 deaths last year, which would suggest some 55,000 people would have died during the pandemic in the past 30 days without Corona virus, when Corona deaths are listed at over 9,000.

Saw this yesterday. Very insightful.

• Upvote 1

On 27/03/2020 at 21:21, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Hat, moustache and a fag on even when his picture's taken - you're grandad looks like a legend. The slightly disheveled collar only adds to the charm.

Really hoping I age like that.

Cheers for that.

I met him when he was 75 and I was 8.

He was uncomplicated.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

This is more baseless propaganda for me. The guy even said "hazarded a guess" and this makes the cut for the news?  Hazarding a guess just isn't good enough. Throwing around numbers like 20,000 on a whim just isn't good enough.  It downplays the seriousness of the situation. 

38 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

You mean like an actual lockdown unlike the sham one we're currently in?

Hmm.You may be right, herd immunity by stealth, however lockdowns have consequences, it can very quickly escalate to a big brother situation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-derbyshire-52055201

Got to be careful the cure dosnt do more damage than the virus. The red cross are predicting unrest in major European cities as the poor have little income or escape. 

It's ok to preach restraint and the stay at home for 3 month mantra if you're an Ian Duncan Smith type with tennis courts and swimming pools in your garden, bit different if you live on the tenth floor of a high rise with a couple of kids and no money.

Also its humane to protect the old and vulnerable but it's the youngsters who are going to foot the bill. Youngsters who already have a bad rap economically. Maybe the government should float the idea a 50% inheritance tax, see how generous and appreciative the older generation are.

29 minutes ago, TK421 said:

This is more baseless propaganda for me. The guy even said "hazarded a guess" and this makes the cut for the news?  Hazarding a guess just isn't good enough. Throwing around numbers like 20,000 on a whim just isn't good enough.  It downplays the seriousness of the situation. 

To be fair, the only thing we can do is guess as no one has a clue as we have not been testing or contact tracing.

Germany are testing 500k a week.

On 18th March, we said we'd be doing 25k a day. That was 10 fucking days ago.

I'd be amazed if we're even hitting 5k.

We're clapping our NHS workers, but still failing to give them the PPE they need or testing them.

Matt Cuntcock said everyone would receive latest by last Sunday at the latest, yet frontline staff, chemists and careworkers are still risking their lives due to little or no protection.

I know today the government announced that they are now going to test NHS, but it's like everything else done so far, far too late.

Be interesting to see if Italy and Spain start hitting 1k+ death tolls daily in the next couple of days.

As we all know instead of being pro-active, they are doing exactly the opposite after seeing primarily data from Italy, forcing them to deviate from the moronic plan they seem to be on.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

That's interesting but does not really answer my question. I see more an more people questioning the official death figures everywhere, without actually looking at any figures (total deaths, corona attributed deaths etc).

Head of the German Koch Institute said a week ago that the number of unrecorded Corona deaths (died at home, died but not tested, positive but death attributed to other conditions) would not significantly alter German death numbers.

If Italy recorded 64,000 deaths in the last 30 days (I am working with statistical average only here), that would suggest official numbers are correct in showing 9,000 excess deaths, as they are called in the Sky video. If Italy had for example, over 70,000 deaths, it would suggest they have many more Corona deaths than they are admitting. The problem is, nobody seems to care to analyze this.

Which is all extremely baffling given how many people have seemingly expert opinions on that in the media alone, not to mention us on forums and on social media.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Same in Italy. Probably the same in many other countries.

Was watching an interview with some fella saying that everything is pointing towards people actually really wanting technocratic style "do this" governments. Even if just in moments like these.