You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

10 hours ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

We’re loons, he’s an out and out fucking sociopath.

I know he's a sociopath or a psychopath, just thought I'd call him a loon too.

And Bolsonaro is really doing my fucking head in now. He's going to be reponsible for mass death soon and he's such an ignorant, fascist fucking cunt. Maybe he should consider himself lucky that people aren't able to gather for mass protests right now because if they could he'd probably be in serious trouble.

No idea how they're ever going to start clearing up cases with him as leader. From Guardian :

As Brazil’s far-right president Jair Bolsonaro calls on people to return to work despite the advice of medical experts, his government is rolling out a propaganda video with the hashtag Brazil Can’t Stop (#OBrasilNãoPodePara).

The clip, which shows beaming Brazilian workers and professionals, has been shared on Bolsonarista WhatsApp and the president’s son, senator Flávio Bolsonaro, posted it on his Facebook.

Bolsonaro has been widely condemned for his response to the crisis, which he has dismissed as a fantasy and a “media trick”. In a Facebook Live broadcast on Thursday night, Bolsonaro pointed to rising unemployment in the United States – which has overtaken China as the country with most cases of coronavirus – as the reason Brazil needed to get back to work.

“This problem has already started here,” he said, comparing lockdown measures to “that chemotherapy equipment” treatment for cancer.

“They are killing the patient to combat the virus,” he said. “Without money I am dying of hunger, man, dying of hunger. Suicide. Violence comes next.” Bolsonaro also shared a video on Facebook of a parade of cars demonstrating for a return to work in Balneário Camboriú in Santa Catarina state, southern Brazil.

Santa Catarina state will allow restaurants, bars, gyms, shopping centres and shops to open from 1 April, the Estado de S.Paulo newspaper said. Mato Grosso and Rondônia states – also run by rightwing governors – have announced similar measures.

But Brazilian coronavirus cases continued to rise – to 2,991 cases and 77 deaths. And a researcher for the government research institute Fiocruz said hospitalisations for respiratory problems had exploded since the first coronavirus case was confirmed, the Folha de S.Paulo newspaper reported. There were 2,250 cases from March 15-21, nearly 10 times the norm.

Here’s a separate report from colleagues Tom Phillips and Caio Barretto Briso in Rio de Janeiro. Bolsonaro's anti-science response to coronavirus appals Brazil's governors

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/27/coronavirus-live-news-update-us-infections-outnumber-china-uk-deaths-europe-global-cases-number-500000-latest-updates?page=with:block-5e7e11088f081e5eda238044#block-5e7e11088f081e5eda238044

1 hour ago, TK421 said:

Yeah but flattening the curve aren't they...

They could be. The percentage increase of cases has either been steady or descending in the past few days and that's with more testing. The people dying now are the people who got sick around the time of the lock down or just after.

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

They could be. The percentage increase of cases has either been steady or descending in the past few days and that's with more testing. The people dying now are the people who got sick around the time of the lock down or just after.

The most reliable number is the deaths because most of them are recorded. They're still going up.  

5 minutes ago, TK421 said:

The most reliable number is the deaths because most of them are recorded. They're still going up.  

Deaths lag weeks behind. It takes about 3 weeks for this thing to kill people with the incubation period and the progression. Those deaths are reflective of what was going on 3 weeks ago, not now. So in theory, the percentage increase of cases going down or being steady right now is a good sign for the future. 

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Deaths lag weeks behind. It takes about 3 weeks for this thing to kill people with the incubation period and the progression. Those deaths are reflective of what was going on 3 weeks ago, not now. So in theory, the percentage increase of cases going down or being steady right now is a good sign for the future. 

If someone dies tomorrow can we report it today though? 

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yes and no. It depends how much you can test. Worst affected countries mostly test symptomatic people.

The chippy is still open by ours. Not sure I fancy going in and standing in a queue though. 

Still unsure on takeaway food. They say just take it out the packaging and wash your hands before and after you eat, however what if some diseased cunt has coughed on it before they wrapped it?

Hope your fish and chips are nice @A Red

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think it's too early to make that presumption. 

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

I said "in theory". No one knows shit. Everything is a presumption. 

Not everything, I disagree.  For example, we know for certain that confirmed cases and deaths will increase significantly in the UK in the coming weeks.  The data speaks for itself in that respect.  

Whereas you are presuming that the curve will flatten in Italy when there is insufficient data, at present, to support that view. 

1 hour ago, No2 said:

But it's not part of a conspiracy, I don't think anyway. Maybe time will prove other wise but I would take this figures at face value give or take 10%.

That rather depends what you call a conspiracy. If the figures published are just the figures or if the figures are the figures the government want you to see. If they're massaging the numbers, you're probably right it's not a conspiracy. Just governmental fraud. If you're alright with that, good for you. 

2 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

The chippy is still open by ours. Not sure I fancy going in and standing in a queue though. 

Still unsure on takeaway food. They say just take it out the packaging and wash your hands before and after you eat, however what if some diseased cunt has coughed on it before they wrapped it?

I wouldn't be touching it to be honest. It's not just a question of them coughing on it. If it's something they're likely to touch, which they almost always do with chips, well that's a risk. When I was being careful when on chemo I was advised if I was to eat anywhere but home have something like a lasagne that's cooked in an oven and unlikely to be touch by hand because it's too hot. We had to order something the other night (long story) so we did pizza, then put it back in the oven to make sure it would kill anything off. 

I get where he’s coming from here. There are far more important things going on now than peoples jobs where people work for “the man”.

Working in mortgage collections, I’m already dreading when things get back to normal, especially as I’ll be a voice on how stuff gets restarted...

BB6E02D5-0F79-408C-B3B0-79D6B1550C66.png

16 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Read today, I think on the BBC website (could be wrong), that whacking it in the microwave for a bit should kill the virus if it's there.

*checks*

Yeah, BBC.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52040138

The risk of packaging contamination can be minimised, Prof Bloomfield advises, by "emptying the contents [into a clean dish], disposing of the packaging into a refuse bag and washing your hands thoroughly before you eat".

"Take food out of a container with a spoon and eat it with a knife and fork - not your fingers."

It might be better in the current circumstances to order hot, freshly cooked food, rather than cold or raw items. The Food Standards Agency does stress that the risk from food is low and that "there is no reason to avoid having ready-to-eat food delivered if it has been prepared and handled properly".

For the most cautious and the most vulnerable though, careful preparation and cooking may be reassuring. "With a pizza for example, if you wanted to be really safe, you could even pop it into the microwave for a couple of minutes," Prof Bloomfield adds.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

That death figure is horrible (all deaths horrible obviously but that figure is really bad, thought it would've lessened by now) from Italy, hopefully that's the worst daily figure they see and it starts getting better from here on out.

Cuomo during his presser said today that an infected patient could be on a ventilator for 20-30 days. 

He also said a normal patient would be on a ventilator for 3-4 days. 

If a patient is on a ventilator for 20+ days, would have imagine that they have no chance of recovery.