You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

8 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

So without repeating stuff already in this thread about how the Corona figures are being massaged, I'll give an example of NHS staff manipulating them in other issues without putting the patients care 1st. This is my 1st hand experience. 

In June 2018 I was diagnosed with cancer. It's a long story why, but the initial diagnosis was done privately in London. The consultant told me to immediately get into the NHS system and I should be directly on the 14 day programme, this means my next follow up (a scan) should be within 14 days. He sent me all of the medical evidence of the diagnosis, which I then shared with the GP over email. The GP logged me into the system while I was on the phone to her. So far so good.

I was then given a call 10 days later from a nurse, explaining to me that they didn't want to accept my initial diagnosis because it hadn't been done on their hospital (royal Liverpool) and I would need to undertake the original procedure again - and she was even stupid enough to say when I argued with this I knew the next step was scan, she said "we can't get you a scan appointment for 3-4 weeks anyway". I brought up again the 14 day rule, and she said this clock had not started ticking because they don't accept the diagnosis. Now I didn't get this procedure done in some fucking 3rd world shit hole with no proper equipment. I got it done in the Edward VII hospital where they treat the royal family. This also presented a new issue for my care. As well as the 14 day rule not counting, there is a 60 day rule for treatment to start from initial diagnosis and the clock wasn't ticking on that either. 

So, 2 weeks after this call I repeated what I'd done a month before. We obviously got the same result, my cancer had grown by another month. I then 2 weeks later (to the day) got my scan, 1 month after that was supposed to happen. They then needed a further scan, missed their 14 day deadline on this, before eventually giving me my prognosis and treatment plan. I got this over a month late. 

Now this wasn't some minor cancer and easily treatable (as those in the cancer thread know) and the month delay on providing my treatment risked my life even more. But did a get marked as missing the service levels? Did I shite. Everyone was in on this, the nurses, the surgeons, radiography, oncology and it goes on. When I raised this all I got in return was "we're busy, what do you want us to do". 

I could list another bunch of ways from my own experience and I am sure there's plenty of people on here who could also share similar issues. So all this idea the doctors aren't doing exactly what their hospital administrators are asking of them is fanciful. They do it every day.

I'm sorry to hear that story and I'm sure there are thousands more like it, just like the police will have used every trick in the book at times to.massage their figures.

However you're comparing apples with oranges here. A live person arriving in a hospital and leaving via the morgue is a death, its neither here nor there to the hospital how they ended up there, the end result is the same and no one pats them on the back or provides more funding because they died from x rather than y.

1 minute ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Cuomo saying they are looking to build 4 temporary hospitals in NY, primarily 1 to cover every borough (ish)

Not surprising I was talking to a mate of mine yesterday who works in NYU Hospital he told me they are rapidly running out of beds 

16 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I hate to go again, but you seem to be very invested in your negative outlook without actually making an effort to interpret the numbers you link to. 

These figures are not entirely (or very I should say) reliable but UK had 64,621 tests carried out when it had 3,269 cases on 19 March, Italy had, by 20 March, 206,886 tests on 41,035 confirmed cases. If I am not mistaken, this would suggest UK had tested wider at that stage of infection.

• Upvote 1

They’re 100% fudging the figures.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/chloe-middleton-death-21-year-old-not-recorded-nhs-covid-19-related

Chloe Middleton: death of 21-year-old not recorded as Covid-19

Source says coroner linked death to coronavirus but hospital took different view

The death of 21-year-old Chloe Middleton – the UK’s youngest coronavirus victim, her family believe – has not been recorded in the official toll because of confusion about how she died, the Guardian can reveal.

Middleton was taken to Wexham Park hospital in Slough last weekend after she had a heart attack. Attempts to resuscitate her failed and she was pronounced dead soon after arriving, a source said.

A Berkshire coroner said the death was related to Covid-19 after being told Middleton had a cough, the source said. But this surprised medics at the hospital, who have not recorded it as coronavirus incident.

As result of the hospital’s view, the death has not been recorded among the NHS tally of UK coronavirus deaths.

A Facebook post by Middleton’s aunt claiming she had no underlying health issues has since been deleted. Her family has been subjected to online abuse and accusations of spreading alarmist news about her death.

An NHS source said this was unfair. “They have been given the information officially from the coroner that this is [a] Covid death,” they said. “And that’s their understanding of it.” But the source said the coroner’s move “raised eyebrows” at the hospital because she had not tested positive for the disease.

Middleton’s mother, aunt and boyfriend have not responded to the Guardian’s requests for an interview. Berkshire’s three coroners have also not responded to requests for comment.

The youngest official victim in the UK is thought to be 28-year-old Adam Harkins Sullivan, a painter and decorator from Camden, north London, who died at University College hospital in London on Tuesday.

A spokeswoman for the hospital confirmed that a 28-year-old man had died on 24 March after testing positive for the virus. “He died with Covid-19. I cannot tell you whether that was the reason he died,” she said.

He was being treated in an isolation ward with other patients who had also tested positive for the virus. Speaking to the Camden New Journal, his mother, Jackie Harkins, said: “We are all just in shock because he was only a young man. He was healthy – you didn’t have to tell him to eat his greens, he was always like that.

“He went into hospital with viral pneumonia, but other than that he was healthy. People have got to start taking this seriously.”

She said her son was taken to hospital in an ambulance last week when he reported breathing difficulties and a temperature of 39.9C.

She said: “He was ringing us that day and at night. Then he rang at 1.15am and said [they] wanted to put him into an induced coma, they wanted to help him breathe.”

She added: “Before Adam died I did get to see him, because it was the end and his last moment. He was in a room with other people with coronavirus. They come and put gloves and an apron on you. He was virtually dead and it was just a machine keeping him alive. I was talking to him, telling him: ‘You’re at UCH. You need to fight.’ He flatlined. He flatlined again, and then again. And I knew there’s no coming back.”

Last Sunday the NHS suggested an 18-year-old male had died from coronavirus, but it has since emerged the teenager had tested positive for the disease in a hospital in Coventry but died from an unrelated condition.

18 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I hate to go again, but you seem to be very invested in your negative outlook without actually making an effort to interpret the numbers you link to. 

These figures are not entirely (or very I should say) reliable but UK had 64,621 tests carried out when it had 3,269 cases on 19 March, Italy had, by 20 March, 206,886 tests on 41,035 confirmed cases. If I am not mistaken, this would suggest UK had tested wider at that stage of infection.

The data is insufficient to prove your strongly made assertion. Either way, neither country is testing enough.  

I'll admit to having a negative outlook. I think this is going to be fucking grim.

34 minutes ago, No2 said:

I'm sorry to hear that story and I'm sure there are thousands more like it, just like the police will have used every trick in the book at times to.massage their figures.

However you're comparing apples with oranges here. A live person arriving in a hospital and leaving via the morgue is a death, its neither here nor there to the hospital how they ended up there, the end result is the same and no one pats them on the back or provides more funding because they died from x rather than y.

But we have evidence on this forum alone of someone dying with a respiratory problem in hospital and they didn't test and my understanding is no post mortem testing. If you weren't diagnosed with covid 19 before you die, you're not in the numbers. 

@SasaS

Here are some more numbers for you. As of 9th March Italy had tested 1,005 per million of their population.  UK was on 387 per million.  These are official stats from each countries respective health services. 

I'll look forward to reading your own unique spin on these numbers. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/covid-19-testing/

• Downvote 1

Just now, TK421 said:

@SasaS

Here are some more numbers for you. As of 9th March Italy had tested 1,005 per million of their population.  UK was on 387 per million.  These are official stats from each countries respective health services. 

I'll look forward to reading your own unique spin on these numbers. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/covid-19-testing/

I don't provide "unique spins" TK, I simply look at numbers you keep providing to support your points and keep finding that they don't support what you are arguing.

And then when I say that numbers are unreliable but the specific ones you link to don't seem to support your point, I get "your strong assertions" and "spin". I will look at that link now.

1 hour ago, Moo said:

Have Italy and Spain both closed their borders?  That would potentially make a huge difference. 

The sick joke being that we have a racist Tory government wanting greater border controls to stop certain people entering the country, but they don't want to use the controls they do have to stop a killer virus.  It's almost like they want certain people, certain demographics, to suffer and die. 

I don't think they are racist, and like many other countries they do want to stop certain people coming in, is RSA racist? They don't want other African nations in, there's limits of how many a country can take surely. 

Wanting  certain people to die is absurd, you can't have other Nationals just flooding in, its a recipe for disaster, as we now know. It doesn't make sense economically or socially for whatever country

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I don't provide "unique spins" TK, I simply look at numbers you keep providing to support your points and keep finding that they don't support what you are arguing.

And then when I say that numbers are unreliable but the specific ones you link to don't seem to support your point, I get "your strong assertions" and "spin". I will look at that link now.

Your head is so far up your own arse that you're not capable of interpreting the numbers correctly yourself, the very thing you're accusing me of. 

• Downvote 2