You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

16 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Their lockdown was as shit as ours apparently. Hotels and public transport still open. Initially people having regular get togethers.

Maybe so, but there are so many factors to consider from our side.

Airports - Potentially infected people flying into the country not being tested/checked.

London - Workers coming into London driving in/using public transport spreading the virus and then going home in/outside of London.

Cunt employers - No social distancing in actual workplaces.

Supermarkets - No social distancing up until 2 days ago or maybe even yesterday.

Health care workers - Insufficient protection to due shite/no PPE whatsoever.

Others - All selfish cunts that still don't get it that have been carrying on like nothing has happened.

Considering how savage this virus spreads in terms of all the above, I dread to think what's coming round the corner.

Heard today that care homes in some cases where Covid-19 in both Spain and Italy, where it's has wiped out pretty much the entire care home population in several instances. Spain had a care home where 38/42 had died.

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

It's clearly not blind optimism, is it. I know several people who have not seen another soul in weeks. That means they can't catch it. This has an impact on the number of people who can catch it. There will also be many people who will have had it and are now immune. 

Blind optimism is just a hope, based on absolutely nothing.

The data from Italy and Spain shows that it's blind optimism.  They both still have exponential growth, there's nothing to suggest the UK will be any different.  On the contrary, our response has been slower and not as stringent.  

7 minutes ago, No2 said:

I don't believe in the conspiracy theory but doctors wouldn't need to be in on it for it to work. If 500 hospitals all report 2 deaths each but the figure released is 800 then the doctors haven't been part of anything. 

Indeed. 

Plus if it ain't confirmed by a test then a doctor can't/won't sign off a death certificate that says Covid-19. 

Doctors don't have to have done anything wrong or immoral in order for government to have a hand in the number of confirmed cases. 

3 minutes ago, TK421 said:

The data from Italy and Spain shows that it's blind optimism.  They both still have exponential growth, there's nothing to suggest the UK will be any different.  On the contrary, our response has been slower and not as stringent.  

Not from what I hear speaking to mates in Spain. Not from what I have read about Italy. 

London is fucked. We know that now,l but I expect some flattening of the curve in large parts of the country.

2 minutes ago, Moo said:

Indeed. 

Plus if it ain't confirmed by a test then a doctor can't/won't sign off a death certificate that says Covid-19. 

Doctors don't have to have done anything wrong or immoral in order for government to have a hand in the number of confirmed cases. 

They will. Spoke to my GP mate about it, and they will put it on death certificate, but it won't be reported unless a positive test has been taken.

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

Not from what I hear speaking to mates in Spain. Not from what I have read about Italy. 

London is fucked. We know that now,l but I expect some flattening of the curve in large parts of the country.

Have Italy and Spain both closed their borders?  That would potentially make a huge difference. 

The sick joke being that we have a racist Tory government wanting greater border controls to stop certain people entering the country, but they don't want to use the controls they do have to stop a killer virus.  It's almost like they want certain people, certain demographics, to suffer and die. 

27 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Their lockdown was as shit as ours apparently. Hotels and public transport still open. Initially people having regular get togethers.

After their initial lockdown the news was running footage of Italians sat outside cafes drinking coffee.

To limit the spread of the new coronavirus that causes COVID-19, at least 27 countries on every inhabitable continent have closed their borders to certain foreign nationals.

Cases of infection have surpassed 150,000, and the outbreak shows no signs of slowing down. As cases increase across the globe, countries have amplified their mitigation and containment measures to limit exposure risks, including reducing large gatherings, implementing quarantine restrictions and prohibiting people from entering.

Some countries, including South Africa and the Czech Republic, banned foreign nationals from high-risk areas, and Kenya imposed a ban on foreign nationals traveling from any country with reported cases. Kenya had only one case as of Sunday, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), and along with banning foreign nationals, all citizens and those with valid residence permits who enter the country must self-quarantine for 14 days.

Save for a few exceptions, El Salvador, India, Israel, Denmark, Poland, Ukraine, Croatia, Norway and Slovakia banned all foreign nationals from entering the country. Foreign nationals from Europe or Asia were also prohibited from entering Colombia, where there have been 24 cases, and officials closed the border with Venezuela.

The WHO criticized countries that implemented blanket travel bans, and Dr. Mike Ryan, director of the WHO's Health Emergencies Program, said during a Friday press conference that they will do "nothing to protect individual states."

"Many countries that had imposed bans ended up importing more cases anyway and may have reacted later than they should because they assumed travel bans would protect then," Ryan added.

New cases in China, where the virus originated, appear to be waning, but the country still has more reported cases than every other nation combined. Large outbreaks have also been seen in Italy, South Korea and Iran, where half the cases outside China have been reported. As a result, Japan and Hungary banned foreign nationals from entering if they'd recently been in any of those four countries.

After Italy, the European countries with the most cases of the new coronavirus are France, Germany and Spain, prompting Singapore to ban travelers from those nations. Malta, the smallest country in Europe, expanded that ban to include Switzerland.

Turkey, Vietnam, Argentina, Austria, Russia, Jordan, Guatemala, Vietnam, Germany and South Korea have also implemented bans on travelers from certain countries where cases have been reported.

16 minutes ago, Moo said:

I fear that might be a bit of wishful thinking.  That's like saying there's a higher proportion of dickheads in Italy than there is in the UK which just seems ludicrous, however our two cultures are like comparing apples and oranges. 

I don't think it has to do with dickheads. The virus seemed to be circulating pretty early on in Italy pretty much unbeknownst to anyone.

That's not the case in the UK and as a result even the light measures will probably have some kind of impact. I'd be surprised if the UK gets to Italy level. 

6 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

They will. Spoke to my GP mate about it, and they will put it on death certificate, but it won't be reported unless a positive test has been taken.

I should have said, as I did in my earlier post, if the patient had an underlying condition to which the death can be attributed, in my experience that's what will go on the death certificate - in the absence of other tests /autopsy. 

11 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Your mates aren't data/a graph. The graphs prove that both countries still have exponential growth. The UK will be the same, it's inevitable.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The virus seemed to be circulating pretty early on in Italy pretty much unbeknownst to anyone.

That's not the case in the UK and as a result even the light measures will probably have some kind of impact. I'd be surprised if the UK gets to Italy level. 

But we're already pretty much level with their numbers in the same time frame, so unless the disease has a longer incubation period than suggested I don't know why that would make a difference?  And it could have been circulating here, in London in particular, for longer than we realise? 

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

Yes, ‘if’ the doctors are being told to massage the numbers and they are doing it can I have my claps back from last night?  

I very much doubt any NHS worker would miss a clap from the likes of you 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Moo said:

But we're already pretty much level with their numbers in the same time frame, so unless the disease has a longer incubation period than suggested I don't know why that would make a difference?  And it could have been circulating here, in London in particular, for longer than we realise? 

Is the UK testing more in this timeframe than Italy where? Because it seems like Italy was basically unaware of what was going on for a long time and everyone there were basically living normally. 

8 minutes ago, No2 said:

I don't believe in the conspiracy theory but doctors wouldn't need to be in on it for it to work. If 500 hospitals all report 2 deaths each but the figure released is 800 then the doctors haven't been part of anything. 

So without repeating stuff already in this thread about how the Corona figures are being massaged, I'll give an example of NHS staff manipulating them in other issues without putting the patients care 1st. This is my 1st hand experience. 

In June 2018 I was diagnosed with cancer. It's a long story why, but the initial diagnosis was done privately in London. The consultant told me to immediately get into the NHS system and I should be directly on the 14 day programme, this means my next follow up (a scan) should be within 14 days. He sent me all of the medical evidence of the diagnosis, which I then shared with the GP over email. The GP logged me into the system while I was on the phone to her. So far so good.

I was then given a call 10 days later from a nurse, explaining to me that they didn't want to accept my initial diagnosis because it hadn't been done on their hospital (royal Liverpool) and I would need to undertake the original procedure again - and she was even stupid enough to say when I argued with this I knew the next step was scan, she said "we can't get you a scan appointment for 3-4 weeks anyway". I brought up again the 14 day rule, and she said this clock had not started ticking because they don't accept the diagnosis. Now I didn't get this procedure done in some fucking 3rd world shit hole with no proper equipment. I got it done in the Edward VII hospital where they treat the royal family. This also presented a new issue for my care. As well as the 14 day rule not counting, there is a 60 day rule for treatment to start from initial diagnosis and the clock wasn't ticking on that either. 

So, 2 weeks after this call I repeated what I'd done a month before. We obviously got the same result, my cancer had grown by another month. I then 2 weeks later (to the day) got my scan, 1 month after that was supposed to happen. They then needed a further scan, missed their 14 day deadline on this, before eventually giving me my prognosis and treatment plan. I got this over a month late. 

Now this wasn't some minor cancer and easily treatable (as those in the cancer thread know) and the month delay on providing my treatment risked my life even more. But did a get marked as missing the service levels? Did I shite. Everyone was in on this, the nurses, the surgeons, radiography, oncology and it goes on. When I raised this all I got in return was "we're busy, what do you want us to do". 

I could list another bunch of ways from my own experience and I am sure there's plenty of people on here who could also share similar issues. So all this idea the doctors aren't doing exactly what their hospital administrators are asking of them is fanciful. They do it every day.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Is the UK testing more in this timeframe than Italy where?

Friggin hell lad ask a data bod that kind if question, like someone who does graphs! 

I suspect not based on all the news reports of how little the UK is testing but I'm sure someone with better knowledge can confirm. 

Documents show that officials working under former health secretary Jeremy Hunt told medical advisers three years ago to “reconsider” a formal recommendation that eye protection should be provided to all healthcare professionals who have close contact with pandemic influenza patients.

The expert advice was watered down after an “economic assessment” found a medical recommendation about providing visors or safety glasses to all hospital, ambulance and social care staff who have close contact with pandemic influenza patients would “substantially increase” the costs of stockpiling.

The documents may help explain a devastating shortage of protective gear in the NHS that is hampering efforts by medical staff to manage the Covid-19 virus pandemic.

Read the full story here.

This is from HuffPost UK’s Paul Waugh

I'm sure we are all surprised.