You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

17 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Yes, ‘if’ the doctors are being told to massage the numbers and they are doing it can I have my claps back from last night?  

I don't know if anyone is suggesting that doctors are being instructed to massage the numbers, I haven't read every post. 

However if someone has an underlying condition, and we're being told that many do, they are likely to put that underlying condition on a death certificate if Covid-19 is not the confirmed cause. And without a test then Covid-19 can not be confirmed. 

Using another example I can speak of personally, a COPD sufferer dies suddenly - quite possibly from a heart attack brought on by a COPD attack, however rather than just put heart attack on the death certificate the doctor would have to confirm this by way of an autopsy.  In the absence of an autopsy then the underlying condition, COPD, would be specified on the death certificate. 

• Upvote 1

Europe’s infectious disease agency says coronavirus is likely to survive warmer weather

The ECDC rapid risk assessment noted that preliminary analyses of the COVID-19 outbreak in China and other countries, showed that fast-spread of the virus was also observed in tropical districts with high absolute humidity (Guangxi and Singapore). As several scientists were expressing hopes that the virus will not survive in warmer temperatures, the ECDC assessment said that so far, there is no evidence that COVID-19 will follow the pattern of other human Coronaviruses in the northern hemisphere and thus, will display a marked winter seasonality.

So far, there are four coronaviruses that are endemic in human populations, and which are responsible for 10–15% of common cold infections. Those display a marked winter seasonality in temperate climates, with a peak between December and April, but are hardly detected in the summer months.

According to the assessment, the seasonality of coronaviruses could be driven by environmental conditions and host susceptibility, because coronaviruses are more stable under low and midrange relative humidity (20–50%), when the defence mechanisms of the airways are suppressed.

https://www.neweurope.eu/article/europes-infectious-disease-agency-says-coronavirus-is-likely-to-survive-warmer-weather/

5 minutes ago, Moo said:

Does this mean we're still tracking Italy? 

A bit behind but no sign the UK curve is flattening.

Nice to see our prime and health minister not practicing what they've preached. Both will be heroes as far as the media are concerned.

Cummings is done for, running away like that, as other's have posted, not so keen on herd immunity after all.

2 minutes ago, clangers said:

A bit behind but no sign the UK curve is flattening.

Nice to see our prime and health minister not practicing what they've preached. Both will be heroes as far as the media are concerned.

Cummings is done for, running away like that, as other's have posted, not so keen on herd immunity after all.

This should happen in the coming days (theoretically) as the restrictions on pubs etc start to play out.

Just now, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

The whole of Italy was in full lockdown 2 weeks ago on 12th March where new deaths was 189.

Not sure you can compare both as our lockdown has been an absolute sham.

So yes numbers wise we're very much tracking Italy and like you say our lockdown is a sham so chances are we'll catch up with them in the space of that two weeks, maybe even overtake. 

2 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

The whole of Italy was in full lockdown 2 weeks ago on 12th March where new deaths was 189.

Not sure you can compare both any more going forward as our lockdown has been an absolute sham.

Their lockdown was as shit as ours apparently. Hotels and public transport still open. Initially people having regular get togethers.

4 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Not a chance, in my view. Our measures haven't gone far enough or been in place long enough to show on any graph. 

I don't know. While some have basically ignored it, many have really stringently stuck by the self isolation and social distancing. That will have an impact.

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

I don't know. While some have basically ignored it, many have really stringently stuck by the self isolation and social distancing. That will have an impact.

That's blind optimism.   The only curves being flattened here belong to Boris as he lives on a pack of Super Noodles a day for the next week.

56 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Yes, ‘if’ the doctors are being told to massage the numbers and they are doing it can I have my claps back from last night?  

I don't believe in the conspiracy theory but doctors wouldn't need to be in on it for it to work. If 500 hospitals all report 2 deaths each but the figure released is 800 then the doctors haven't been part of anything. 

3 minutes ago, TK421 said:

That's blind optimism.   

It's clearly not blind optimism, is it. I know several people who have not seen another soul in weeks. That means they can't catch it. This has an impact on the number of people who can catch it. There will also be many people who will have had it and are now immune. 

Blind optimism is just a hope, based on absolutely nothing.

8 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I fear that might be a bit of wishful thinking.  That's like saying there's a higher proportion of dickheads in Italy than there is in the UK which just seems ludicrous, however our two cultures are like comparing apples and oranges.