You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

ITV2 schedulers clearly have a sense of humour, the 9pm movie is Steven Soderbergh's "Contagion".

A deadly virus sweeps across the globe, and an international team of scientists struggles to both find a vaccine and prevent the disease spreading further.

EDIT: beaten to it by Dougie

Just now, Rico1304 said:

Drs write the death certificates, don’t they? Are they in on it? 

Well yes. If people aren't being tested. I think plenty of doctors have complained about lack tests and the quality of tests. What's your point? As soon as someone changes how they record numbers, which this government has, it's because they didn't like the numbers before. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

It doesn't matter what the government says are the final deaths from.this virus, they're cooking the books and plenty will die from it that aren't officially diagnosed. The fact they've altered how they're recording the numbers part way through already tells you they hold zero value. 

Hospital Episode Statistics will provide the data in the long-run, but there may be multiple codes used depending on the final cause and possibly underlying issues. There are two codes, one for proven and one for suspected. We are only seeing numbers for people who have been tested with a positive result, so - I assume - only one of those codes.

Just now, Pidge said:

Hospital Episode Statistics will provide the data in the long-run, but there may be multiple codes used. There are two codes, one for proven and one for suspected. We are only seeing numbers for people who have been tested with a positive result, so - I assume - only one of those codes.

And you keep those numbers low through lack of testing. 

1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

Well yes. If people aren't being tested. I think plenty of doctors have complained about lack tests and the quality of tests. What's your point? As soon as someone changes how they record numbers, which this government has, it's because they didn't like the numbers before. 

If someone dies then they’ll have CV on the death certificate.  I just don’t believe in conspiracy theories. 

3 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

They changed the time the numbers were reported. From afternoon to morning.  

37 minutes ago, Stickman said:

It was no doubt well intentioned. 

But, a bit like "thoughts and prayers" whenever we see a shooting in America. An expression of sentiment, but nothing was really done by it. We'll still have nurses and doctors swapping masks and wearing diving goggles on wards. And the clappers will probably still vote in the party who've caused that. And the mass illness that we'll likely see across the NHS in the coming weeks. 

45 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Fuck me, I got something in my eye. Whether you did it on your doorstep, in your home or anywhere else, well done.

Same, and my missus was crying. There was a good turn out here, plenty of noise and cheering.

13 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

And you keep those numbers low through lack of testing. 

Italy isn’t including people who have died at home or in care homes in their figures. Our government will be doing similar.

It’s in their interests to paint a less bleak picture, they want to avoid as much public anger as possible, especially as plenty of people think they’ve badly mishandled the crisis.

• Upvote 2

Fair play to those who did it but I didn't as I just don't see what it'll achieve for them in the grand scheme of things.

When this is all over, they should all be given an extra weeks paid holiday or the cash equivalent if they prefer. If it means a one off tax hike to cover it, so be it.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Any self employed here? Happy with what Sunak announced?

I am self employed.

From what I have read I am not covered by the scheme as I have paid myself salary and dividends from the business. I am still working thankfully so not an issue....for now.

And Sunal had a little dig at the self employed saying it was time everyone paid their taxes. I pay more than I ever have, and I dont begrudge a penny of it, but hes obviously still narked at not getting IR35 through so he had to have a dig, the Cunt.

18 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

If someone dies then they’ll have CV on the death certificate.  I just don’t believe in conspiracy theories. 

But that is simply not fact though is it? If people aren't tested, they aren't marked as death by covid. And they're not testing people . It's not a secret, plenty of NHS staff, doctors included have talked about this. It's not a conspiracy theory. Just take some NHS care and you can see how their focus is on manipulating statistics all the time, it is 2nd nature with NHS administration, why would covid be different?Give the government the figured it wants is what NHS administrators do daily. 

17 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

They changed the time the numbers were reported. From afternoon to morning.  

They've changed how they're reporting them. How they establish the numbers in the 1st place. As soon as that happens, there's no value to the numbers. 

Just now, Rico1304 said:

I get your point on wider testing but not on deaths. They’ll have to have a cause and I can’t see Drs being complicit in a cover up.   

Would respiratory problems not be sufficient? Or the underlying complication? They're not testing people post death, that's been discussed widely on the news. What do you think doctors should put in that situation? What's certain, if there is no test, covid is not the cause of death. 

1 hour ago, Chairman Meow said:

I've got a friend I have been doing a day a week for and then some additional weekends doing some instructing at his rally school which is basically what has gotten me turning a profit. Obviously he can't run rally school days now, and additionally he's also in the high risk category as well as his parents who live on the site as well so that looks out of the question for quite some time.

It really depends on how things pan out. At the moment I can still advertise and use the post office or courier to send some stuff out. But that said, I've someone is serious high risk living in the house who has been told to stay in for 12 weeks. 

My stuff is all stored on an old farm, so I can get along there and sort stuff out and as I am the only person there it doesn't add any risk. But then there is the post office visits, not really sure quite what I do, I'm fairly certain I'm low risk (although I am a fat bastard) and frankly I can live with taking a chance with my own safety. If that's what I've got to do too survive then I don't really have a choice. However, it's not just me that's at risk if I do.

Are you near Knighton by any chance 

7 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Where are the Russians though? Doping the figures? 

Plenty of countries have mad numbers India and Japan stand out. I was listening to something on the radio a little while back (perhaps more than 2 weeks ago) and in st Petersburg they'd had loads of Chinese from Wuhan come in for Chinese new year. There is a theory there it perhaps passed through almost unnoticed with other seasonal viruses. Dunno how realistic that is, but there certainly seem massive anomalies from country to country - and who knows if this is just down to testing. The Americans barely tested anyone at all in the early weeks, as the test kits from the CDC had a bad part in them. That does t mean people didn't have the virus or die of it. 

16 minutes ago, redinblack62 said:

I am self employed.

From what I have read I am not covered by the scheme as I have paid myself salary and dividends from the business. I am still working thankfully so not an issue....for now.

And Sunal had a little dig at the self employed saying it was time everyone paid their taxes. I pay more than I ever have, and I dont begrudge a penny of it, but hes obviously still narked at not getting IR35 through and hes a Cunt.

I was speaking to my accountant about this a couple of days ago, as i use a PSC.

They advised me that i am not self employed, as i operate in a similar way to you. They advised that i may be able to claim 80% of the salary that i take out, as i am am an employee in effect, but they are waiting to receive clarification on this. May be worth speaking to your accountant.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John102 said:

I was speaking to my accountant about this a couple of days ago, as i use a PSC.

They advised me that i am not self employed, as i operate in a similar way to you. They advised that i may be able to claim 80% of the salary that i take out, as i am am an employee in effect, but they are waiting to receive clarification on this. May be worth speaking to your accountant.

Ta for that, I work through a PSC, Im fortunate enough to still be working so Im OK for now, and Im contracted to a food company, so there is still demand for what I do, so OK for now, but Ill store that away.