You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

8 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Hmmmm... Thoughts on this @Strontium Dog™?

My two pence worth. 

Effective mass testing identifies those with covid 19 symptoms and those carrying but not displaying . Focus the medical effort and isolation on these two groups and I would say you have control .

Over past few days gov pedalling that if tests are not 100%effective it's practically worse than no testing at all that's why there hasn't been a mass testing program. How's about buying some of South Korea's kits ? Or buying some kits from UK based companies who are supplying the rest of the world ? (With not one order from the NHS) 

53 minutes ago, davelfc said:

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain on Thursday said Prince Charles, who has coronavirus, did not jump the queue for a test because his symptoms and condition met the criteria. 

Charles tested positive for coronavirus earlier this week but is in good health and is now self isolating in Scotland with mild symptoms, Clarence House said. 

When asked why the heir to the British throne had a test while millions of frontline health workers have not, Britain’s junior health minister, Edward Argar, said: “My understanding is that his symptoms, his condition, met that criteria.” 

“The Prince of Wales didn’t jump the queue,” Argar told Sky news.

Maybe a better question would be how the hell are the royals/MPs  managing on £2500 a month (before tax) while they are unable to work or furloughed.  

Hahahaha hahahaha,  suuuuuuuuure. 

2 hours ago, davelfc said:

e853add0-6eea-11ea-89df-41bea055720b?fit

d9fa5018-6eea-11ea-89df-41bea055720b?fit

ee80319c-6eea-11ea-89df-41bea055720b?fit

Although thanks for posting, these Financial Times graphs are way to busy.

The Logarithmic Scale is also somewhat misleading. I've updated what I've done below, considerably simpler and hopefully more readable.

Slide1.JPG

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

The Logarithmic Scale is also somewhat misleading. 

I like looking at the pretty colours.

20 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

The Logarithmic Scale is also somewhat misleading. I've updated what I've done below, considerably simpler and hopefully more readable.

Slide1.JPG

People know where to get therm, I'll stop and leave you to put yours up if it's clearer. 

9 hours ago, Mudface said:

That's bizarre. Not naming anyone is completely understandable, but not reporting the figures is ridiculous. Unless they're just kept from the public, but released to scientific interests?

I agree, I call shenanigans.

9 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Don’t believe that for a minute, they can give numbers so long as they don’t name names. There’s some serious shite getting quacked over all of this, to be expected I suppose

See for yourself.

25 minutes ago, davelfc said:

People know where to get therm, I'll stop and leave you to put yours up if it's clearer. 

I’d like to still see them please but you can see where any confusion might be?

I’m only really concentrating on the UK’s figures. From the FT lines, it looks like the UK is rapidly increasing inline with China and Italy, but in reality (and not on a logarithmic scale), we’re actually way behind their curves. 

Whether it stays that way obviously remains to be seen. We all hope it does, unfortunately we all suspect it probably won’t. 

1 minute ago, Vincent Vega said:

I agree, I call shenanigans.

See for yourself.

What the fuck, they can pass all kinds of emergency laws but for some strange reason they need the permission of the family to announce a completely anonymous death due to Covid-19 during a worldwide pandemic.

My mate, the GP is on the mend. He's had a false negative test and reckons that they are very common if you test from a week or afterwards. Some lads I work with lost their dad this week, almost definitely from Coronavirus, but he tested negative too. Seems like the tests are a bit wank!

New quote:

They are struggling with two things. The first is the explosion of demand they are seeing in seriously ill patients. They talk about wave after wave after wave - the word that’s often used to me is a continuous tsunami.

We are now seeing 30%, 40% and indeed in some places 50% sickness rates as staff catch the virus or are in vulnerable groups or have to self-isolate. That’s unprecedented absence rate.

So what we have got is a really wicked combination - trusts trying to deal with a lot more demand than they have ever had before with a lot fewer staff than they have had before.

9 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

My mate, the GP is on the mend. He's had a false negative test and reckons that they are very common if you test from a week or afterwards. Some lads I work with lost their dad this week, almost definitely from Coronavirus, but he tested negative too. Seems like the tests are a bit wank!

As the resident COVID19 ITK, what’s the latest take please? 

Are flattening the curve or are we in the calm before the tsunami?

10 hours ago, Anubis said:

Our old friends, the Indian police, have come up with new punishments for social isolation offenders - you can get further with a big stick and squats/push ups, than you can with just a big stick.

Indian police will be our last line of defence. Countries will be buying protective masks from China doctors from Cuba and police from India.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

As the resident COVID19 ITK, what’s the latest take please? 

Are flattening the curve or are we in the calm before the tsunami?

You've got as much idea as me. Yesterday seemed like they were pushing a good news day. First we had the news that maybe 50% of the population was already infected and we were maybe already seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Then we had the news that the NHS had capacity and everything was going to be fine. Then we only had 42 further deaths announced. I don't think any other country has reported such a daily drop in deaths (percentage wise) when cases are still increasing. I do wonder why/how we have managed to stay behind Italy on the curve and why there haven't been more deaths, to be blunt? The measures we have taken recently should see a slow down, but you wouldn't expect that to be apparent for 8-10 days or so from now really.

They're not ramping up all these hospitals for nothing, so is the time from infection to serious illness longer than we anticipated? They are talking of a peak in 2 to 3 weeks - which would also only make sense if that period of infection to ICU is extended. I don't know - more questions than answers!

It's all very weird, and it's my first thought every day when I wake up & wish it fuck off back to whence it came!

All the financial institutions have been fucking boss helping my sister out who was made redundant on Monday.

Santander have been fucking brilliant in bending their rules starting it immediately to ensure her mortgage isn't taken out on Monday (her payment day is 28th every month) and she now has a 3 month break. Their normal rule is 10 days cut off before payment date.

A weight off my mind even though I'm ready to step in to help her financially if needed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

1 minute ago, Grinch said:

There's lunatics out there that think the government is going to try an microchip us.   When in reality, we spend a couple of hundred quid for the privilege and carry it in our pocket. 

Grinch - it’s worse than that, this is enabled by EU legislation but they won’t be able to do it once we lose access to the EU satellite tracking in Jan.