You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

42 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

It has only been a few days and already people on social media are moaning about having to stay in. They’re complaining about being bored with Netflix and that they can’t exercise. Some people, myself included, haven’t even got wi-fi, so streaming anything isn’t an option. People can still go out to exercise if they choose. In not, what’s wrong with running on the spot, sit-ups and stuff?

I've got WiFi thank fuck which is just for my phone, my sister who's in lock down in Spain asked if I had Netflix, which I haven't or anything like that and to be honest the Freeview does me, though I can watch BBC iplayer to watch something on my tablet if need be but rarely do except if I've missed something on the telly, and again there isnt really anything that I feel that I must see. 

I've never been on this forum so much, anyway back to my meat. 

1 hour ago, easytoslip said:

Ive just took some meat out the freezer and I'm watching it thaw out. 

1 hour ago, Chairman Meow said:

Is that some kind of wanking euphemism?

2 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

I've got WiFi thank fuck which is just for my phone, my sister who's in lock down in Spain asked if I had Netflix, which I haven't or anything like that and to be honest the Freeview does me, though I can watch BBC iplayer to watch something on my tablet if need be but rarely do except if I've missed something on the telly, and again there isnt really anything that I feel that I must see. 

I've never been on this forum so much, anyway back to my meat. 

I'm taking that as a yes. 

10 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Germany's number are astonishing compared to everywhere else.

Yesterday's numbers:

QwIAsqd.png

Today's:

pxaaQtV.png

9 new deaths and 296 new recoveries in past 24 hours.

They are a massive outlier compared even to S Korea . Surely has to be way they are collating data ?

German politicians and senior health officials have been reluctant to comment on the low mortality rate while the situation is developing so rapidly. Lothar Wieler, the president of the Robert Koch Institute (RKI), the government’s central public health body, has said he does not expect there to be a significant difference in mortality rates between Italy and Germany in the long run.

“It’s too early to say whether Germany is better medically prepared for the Covid-19 pandemic than other countries,” said Marylyn Addo, who heads the infectiology department at Hamburg’s University Medical Centre.

One likely explanation for the discrepancy in figures, Addo suggested, was that while northern Italy’s hospitals are being overrun with new patients, Germany’s are not yet at full capacity and have had more time to clear beds, stock up on equipment and redistribute personnel.

“One advantage Germany has is that we started doing professional contact tracing when the first cases were reported,” Addo said. “It bought us some time to prepare our clinics for the coming storm.”

Crucially, Germany started testing people even with milder symptoms relatively early on, meaning the total number of confirmed cases may give a more accurate picture of the virus’s spread than in other states.

According to Germany’s National Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians, the country has capacity for about 12,000 Covid-19 tests per day, while Wieler has claimed it has capacity for 160,000 tests per week.

While Germany has not tested its citizens at the same high rate practised in South Korea, guidelines have been in place for more than a month for people to be tested even if they have early-stage symptoms but have either had contact with an infected person or recently visited a “high-risk area” such as Lombardy in Italy or Wuhan in China.

The age profile of those affected in the first few weeks has also been younger than in other countries, many of them fit and healthy people returning from skiing resorts in Austria or Italy, which would also help explain the low mortality rate.

“I assume that many young Italians are or were infected without ever being detected,” Christian Drosten, a virologist at Berlin’s Charité hospital, told the newspaper Die Zeit. “This also explains the virus’s supposedly higher mortality rate there.”

Drosten, who has been advising the German health ministry, has also warned that Germany’s mortality rate is likely to rise in the coming weeks as high-risk areas become harder to identify and testing capacity becomes stretched.

“It will appear that the virus has become more dangerous, but this will be a statistical artefact, a distortion. It will simply reflect what’s already starting to happen: we’re missing more and more infections.”

The methodology behind Germany’s data gathering could also play into the discrepancy between Italian and German figures.

If a patient is tested positive for Covid-19 in Germany, the doctor will notify the local health authority, which will then digitally transfer the data to the Robert Koch Institute. The lag in this process explains why the RKI’s daily figures have been consistently lower than those from Johns Hopkins University, which updates its data tables more frequently. By 10am on Sunday morning, for example, the RKI only notes 55 fatalities in Germany.

Unlike in Italy, there is currently no widespread postmortem testing for the novel coronavirus in Germany. The RKI says those who were not tested for Covid-19 in their lifetime but are suspected to have been infected with the virus “can” be tested after death, but in Germany’s decentralised health system this is not yet a routine practice.

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I read a while ago that Germany had been recording COVID deaths under the pre-existing condition that killed them off rather than the virus itself.

Where was that fella? BILD? Bullshit I Like Divulging ? 

8 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I read a while ago that Germany had been recording COVID deaths under the pre-existing condition that killed them off rather than the virus itself.

That's what Italians said, but the German institute head replied that this would not be a statistically important difference.