You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

The "lockdown" changed next to fuck all about who should work from home or not. It was similar to the previous message which still led to packed trains. There was a chance that closing non-essential retail would lessen the numbers. But.... 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-london-tube-underground-nhs-lockdown-uk-boris-johnson-a9420326.html

6 minutes ago, Elite said:

Backs up the theory that they want it to spread. Doesn't make much sense otherwise.

Just not sure I give them enough credit to have any sort of over-arching consistent plan, evil or otherwise. They appear to be grabbing at different things at different times and fudging decisions all over the shop in a panic, led by a Prime Minister who as someone said the other day, just wants to be liked by everyone.

He doesn’t stand for anything, does he. He’s a moral blank page. I tend to think at the moment the shortcomings on display are mostly about the incompetence and blatant unsuitability for his office in that respect, rather than being sociopathic. I suppose either way we’re up to the arm pits in cow shit at this point so it doesn’t really matter which it is.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Liverpool lad said:

Anyone sum this up?

3 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The "lockdown" changed next to fuck all about who should work from home or not. It was similar to the previous message which still led to packed trains. There was a chance that closing non-essential retail would lessen the numbers. But.... 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-london-tube-underground-nhs-lockdown-uk-boris-johnson-a9420326.html

First sentence

18 minutes ago, Elite said:

Backs up the theory that they want it to spread. Doesn't make much sense otherwise.

Exactly, they have spoken about flattening the curve but almost every other country has spoken about flattening the curve by doing the opposite of what we were doing. The government's own report from parliament in 2015 showed then that 70% of the NHS was being used by the very people this virus is targeting. That pensions etc are costing £128bn a year and rising £2.8bn each year. 

Nobody planned for the boomers getting old, they all kicked it into the long grass and then along came a solution, a terrible horrific solution that carries no blame if they make the right noises. Well actually they have found people to blame, everyone else. 

Correct me if I am wrong but the UK didn't limit access to care homes well before this, apparently the USA did. If they genuinely cared about the vulnerable then they would have locked them down asap not given them well over a week to get infected. They would have cancelled sports events instead of sporting events having to cancel themselves. 

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/research/key-issues-parliament-2015/social-change/ageing-population/

More spending

Around 55% of welfare spending (£114bn in 2014/15) is currently paid to pensioners, with the state pension by far the largest element of this. This expenditure is forecast to increase by an average of £2.8 billion a year over the next five years, resulting in spending of £128 billion by 2019/20.

Growing numbers of elderly people will also have an impact on the NHS and social care expenditure. The prevalence of long-term health conditions increases with age; and according to a 2010 estimate made by the Department of Health, such conditions account for 70% of total health and social care spending in England.

The Department of Health also estimates that the average cost of providing hospital and community health services for a person aged 85 years or more is around three times greater than for a person aged 65 to 74 years.

Less revenue

Further fiscal pressure is also likely to result from a decline in the working population relative to the number of pensioners (the 'dependency ratio'). A lower proportion of people in work means lower tax revenues and, in all likelihood, higher public expenditure.

Despite the recent increases in state pension age, it is expected that the pensioner population will continue to rise. In 2014 there were 3.2 people of working age for every person of pensionable age. This ratio is projected to fall to 2.7 by 2037.

Chart 2: Working-age people per pensioner

Even after planned increases to the state pension age, the number of working age people per pensioner is expected to fall. Number of working-age people per pensioner, 1980–2012 and projections to 2037.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Anubis said:

To be honest, it’s probably the one thing I like about him, that he seems determined not to take us down the route of WWIII.

He wouldnt intentionally, but hes such a fuckwit who thinks politics is "just a real estate deal" that he could do it inadvertently.

3 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Not fully sure. I'm wildly guessing at Bill Barr. If that's even an actual person's name. It rings a bell. 

Yes, he may look like a sinister character played by John Goodman, but that's Bill Barr.

If Trump is the completely self-obsessed doofus in the reality show that is American politics these days, Barr is the conniving, morally bankrupt behind-the-scenes guy making the evil really come to life. The Himmler to Trump's Hitler, if you will.

I went to get fresh veg and fruit from the shop on Broadway at 8am, as I barely had any. Passed Asda on Queen's Drive and the car park was full. No doubt panic buying in full flow again.

Fruit & Veg Shop was empty - plenty of produce, just no customers. Got enough for the week and went on my merry way. That's me sorted for going out for a week and a bit, probably.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, davelfc said:

Exactly, they have spoken about flattening the curve but almost every other country has spoken about flattening the curve by doing the opposite of what we were doing. The government's own report from parliament in 2015 showed then that 70% of the NHS was being used by the very people this virus is targeting. That pensions etc are costing £128bn a year and rising £2bn each year. 

Nobody planned for the boomers getting old, they all kicked it into the long grass and then along came a solution, a terrible horrific solution that carries no blame if they make the right noises. Well actually they have found people to blame, everyone else. 

Didn't know the level of elderly and infirm burden on NHS was at those type of levels obviously will be higher due to longevity then throw in a virus and we have the NHS loaded with 80 % plus non value add citizens. USA not even hiding the fact they see the culling off this tier of people as preferable to tanking the economy,  this government doing it the bungling way that makes it look like incompetence or a load of mistakes rather than a coherent plan as has been pointed out above.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/24/older-people-would-rather-die-than-let-covid-19-lockdown-harm-us-economy-texas-official-dan-patrick

10 hours ago, skaro said:

EDIT.  (latest)  He's not out of hospital til tomorrow... and will need a second COVID test, to be sure - he presumes because of others on the ward who did test positive.  

He can't log on to TLW at hospital, which is why I'm proxying.

What a fucking nightmare. You have a bad respiratory illness which they don't have time to diagnose and you're sat amongst a ward full of coronavirus patients. Let's hope he's ok..

9 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

How the fuck is B&Q an essential shop?

Is it just so all the hoarders can go out and start panic buying rolls of wall paper now that they've bought up all the toilet roll?

Well I guess if you develop a leak or something you need to maintain your house, you can't just let it fall in. 

29 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I went to get fresh veg and fruit from the shop on Broadway at 8am, as I barely had any. Passed Asda on Queen's Drive and the car park was full. No doubt panic buying in full flow again.

Fruit & Veg Shop was empty - plenty of produce, just no customers. Got enough for the week and went on my merry way. That's me sorted for going out for a week and a bit, probably.

My local fruit and veg shop is shutting today apparently. They can't get any new stock from the fruit and veg market. All this talk the supply chain is fine does not appear to be true. 

I’ve stopped going out, my missus is working from home, son waiting to hear from Sony but currently at home, daughter home from uni. Sister and nephew and brother in law all told to stay in for twelve weeks due to underlying illness,

mum and dad the same. Time to head for my bunker.

After this there will be questions and committees created, and more questions and more committees. The result will be a large pay rise for our heroic leaders and increases in allowances. Any damaging information will be locked under the official secrets act for 100 years. 

• Upvote 1