You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Utter. Fucking. Scum.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-leeds-51964828

Coronavirus: Knottingley food bank closes after raid - BBC News

Stockpiling restrictions mean the Trussel Trust food bank cannot replace the items and will close. 

The town's MP, Yvette Cooper, described the crime as "shameful".

She called for supermarkets to change their rules to allow food banks to buy in bulk. 

'Forced our hand'

The food bank, on Tythe Barn Road, had received a large donation of goods before one of its storage containers was raided at about 18:00 GMT on Wednesday.

Four men were seen fleeing the scene.

Project manager Janet Burns said: “I’m absolutely positive it’s coronavirus-related. They’re stealing stuff because they know they can sell it at pubs and clubs.” 

She said there had been a long queue outside the food bank, including people with school meal vouchers which they fear will be unuseable when closures come into force from Friday.

PAsvg%3EKnottingley MP Yvette Cooper
Yvette Cooper said the raid had taken place at a time "when we should be pulling together and helping each other"

Ms Burns added: “All our food is donated by the general public so it’s just taking the kindness of people and throwing it back in their faces.

“People who came in today might not have got as much as they might have done otherwise. These are people that are desperate for some help."

Before the break-in, the food bank had decided to move to a reduced service from next week, dealing with emergency cases only because many of its volunteers are older and classed as being at higher risk of catching the virus.

However, Ms Burns said losing so many donated goods had “forced our hand” and it will now close.

Ms Cooper called on the public to come forward with donations to help the food bank continue to provide for those in need.

She said: “If someone has done this in order to make profit from other people’s desperation that is a shocking and shameful crime.” 

Insp Phillippa Child, from West Yorkshire Police, said: "Foodbanks are there to help the most needy in society and this is a disgusting crime."

She said the force was looking at CCTV and asked anyone with information to get in touch.

That food bank story is horrible, but sadly to be expected. I keep hearing people going on about the war and the blitz - bulldog spirit, we got through it, nobody panicked etc. - but no one mentions the crime wave and general shithousery that coincided with it. That's not part of the myth.

Some people will always choose to fuck others over, and this is just another opportunity to them. All the rest of us can do is redouble our efforts to stick together and help each other out.

• Upvote 9

3 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I don't live with my son but he comes down every Friday and Saturday, should I avoid all contact with him now ?? he lives with his just his mum, I just want to do what's right and if that's the right thing then so be it.

What does he come down for?

2 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I don't live with my son but he comes down every Friday and Saturday, should I avoid all contact with him now ?? he lives with his just his mum, I just want to do what's right and if that's the right thing then so be it.

Depends on your age and whether you have any pre-existing conditions.

Well that was the entire point of me asking for advice, I don't know, I'm not stupid but guidance on close family isn't overly clear, so thanks for your input.

It's considered close family if you're living under the same roof.

It's not "me da' is living in Lombardy for the last 10 years. Gonna ask him home for a week" close.

Just now, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Well that was the entire point of me asking for advice, I don't know, I'm not stupid but guidance on close family isn't overly clear, so thanks for your input.

I don't think it has much to do with whether it is close family or not. 

If you believe isolation/distancing has any merit then it is about not introducing new people/places into the equation.

Of course you want to see him.

• Upvote 1

I'm in the same boat with my two daughters. I've just taken them back to their mum's after having them this weekend and I'm supposed to have them again on Thursday and Friday. I have no idea what to do.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

How close do you live? Does he have to take public transport?

My son lives with me and stops at his mum's on a Saturday. Me and his mum are 42 and she lives a 10 minute walk from us. I haven't stopped him going on a Saturday.

I might be in the wrong but i think it's just a matter of judgement

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Probably not in anyone's best interest to visit/be visited by anyone at this time. It's your call, though. 

• Upvote 1