You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

4 minutes ago, SasaS said:

There is an interesting figure for Spain when they had under 20,000 cases, almost half of infections were over 60s, which must mean they were only able to test people with more serious symptoms and many younger infectados simply stayed at home for a week (or tried to walk it off infecting everybody around them).  

https://elpais.com/sociedad/2020/03/16/actualidad/1584379038_891570.html

I'd be surprised if that wasn't still the case.

Which, presumably means that the death rate (as a percentage) is probably considerably lower than reported, no?

4 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I'd be surprised if that wasn't still the case.

Which, presumably means that the death rate (as a percentage) is probably considerably lower than reported, no?

I should think so, there is no reason for such huge discrepancies at this stage, within the EU. 

5 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I should think so, there is no reason for such huge discrepancies at this stage, within the EU. 

I doubt many people actually know the procotol about reporting it, if one even exists. Which I don't think it does.

The only advice in the UK is stay at home for seven days, if it gets worse call 111. Something similar will be the case in most countries (although I think 14 days is the advice for most). 

And of course, that's only the people that have obvious, if non severe, symptoms. 

So, how are they getting the data? 

Train season tickets will be refunded, as the Government steps in to takeover railways to protect the rail industry in "extraordinary times".

All train operators will be presented with opportunity to transition to 'emergency measures agreements', handing control of lines to the Government during the coronavirus outbreak.

The Department for Transport has also announced that all advance tickets will be refunded to encourage passengers to follow Government advice and work from home.

Grant Shapps said: "We are operating in extraordinary times, but today’s announcement will make sure key workers who depend on our railways are able to travel and carry on their vital roles, that hardworking commuters - who have radically altered their lives to combat the spread of coronavirus, are not left out of pocket, and it will provide certainty to the industry’s staff who are still working hard every day to make sure the railway plays its part in tackling this crisis....

12 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I doubt many people actually know the procotol about reporting it, if one even exists. Which I don't think it does.

The only advice in the UK is stay at home for seven days, if it gets worse call 111. Something similar will be the case in most countries (although I think 14 days is the advice for most). 

And of course, that's only the people that have obvious, if non severe, symptoms. 

So, how are they getting the data? 

I think it varies from country to country, but they mostly test around the reported cases, if you report the symptoms, they would/should ask you for all your recent contacts, ask them to self-isolate and test some of them. As the number of infections grows, there is not enough labs so only symptomatic get tested. I think they are still doing very little explorative testing, as in to see how widespread it is in different regions.

22 hours ago, skaro said:

I got this note from Gordon (Pistonbroke), from his hospital bed in Bielefeld, and he asked me to pass it on to "the lads":

After a rough night I'm feeling a bit better, being on drips with liquid medicine is having an effect.  Had all tests done for corona and have to wait 48 hours or thereabouts for the results.  8 people were taken to the city hospital with the same symptoms, but none of us has a high fever.  So we are all lined up to have a camera shoved down our airways to check on them and lungs. That is planned for today as I'm nil by mouth. I'll let you know more once I get the results from both the camera and the corona test...

IMG-20200322-WA0000.jpg

Paul Hollywood's seen better days. 

Seriously though get well soon G.

Day 4 and it's a really weird ailment 

50% of the time you feel pretty alright and quite happy with how it's all going and then 10 mins later your temperature blows up and you start feeling breathless and lousy

Really strange dreams as well

The one constant is feeling very very tired all the time

• Upvote 2

Just got off the phone to my sister who is in tears.

She works for a private sector company, 35 hours per week and had been working from home since last Monday.

Her manager sent her a text early this morning for her to be in the office.

She's been laid off. They're paying her a months wages (her payday was Friday gone) and they're giving her redundancy (another months wages).

She pleaded with them to keep her on unpaid so that government could cover her wages and they said no as her 'job was at risk before the outbreak'.

She has 2 boys of 14 and 12 to support.

Evil fucking cunts.

2 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

She works for a private sector company, 35 hours per week and had been working from home since last Monday.

She's been laid off. They're paying her a months wages (her payday was Friday gone) and they're giving her redundancy (another months wages).

She pleaded with them to keep her on unpaid so that government could cover her wages and they said no as her 'job was at risk before the outbreak'.

Evil fucking cunts.

Cunts.

Can see a lot of companies doing something similar. Using it as an excuse to "streamline".

Hope she'll be ok.

5 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Evil fucking cunts.

You need to name and shame them mate, absolute cunts trick that!

7 minutes ago, Anubis said:

As Lario said, I suspect a few companies will do the same. Really shitty behaviour. Can only hope she gets something quickly.

Her 2 boys are now home indefinitely. How is she supposed to get another job, especially when a shitlloads of others are in the same boat and no doubt more people will lose their jobs over the next week.

They've fucked her twice as she can't claim any benefits for 2 months because it's a redundancy. I've told her not to potentially risk her health for any short term jobs like supermarket work etc.

I will help her out financially when needed, but this all depends on how long this goes on for.

I was furious before with the government and their atrocious inability to get on this from the start.

Now I'm fucking livid with them as they are now affecting the livelihood of my loved ones.

1 hour ago, davelfc said:

Train season tickets will be refunded, as the Government steps in to takeover railways to protect the rail industry in "extraordinary times".

All train operators will be presented with opportunity to transition to 'emergency measures agreements', handing control of lines to the Government during the coronavirus outbreak.

The Department for Transport has also announced that all advance tickets will be refunded to encourage passengers to follow Government advice and work from home.

Grant Shapps said: "We are operating in extraordinary times, but today’s announcement will make sure key workers who depend on our railways are able to travel and carry on their vital roles, that hardworking commuters - who have radically altered their lives to combat the spread of coronavirus, are not left out of pocket, and it will provide certainty to the industry’s staff who are still working hard every day to make sure the railway plays its part in tackling this crisis....

The tories renationalising the railways? Who'd have believed it!

I think (hope) I may have had it with extremely minor symptoms. My 20 month old had quite bad gastroentritis (GI) and a temperature, an now the 9 year old has the same. The missus phoned work and the doctor there said that GI is a very common manifestation of the virus now, especially in kids. 

As the 20 years old is always sharing his saliva with you in one way or another, so I think I I've had it, or I'm not getting it.