You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, General Dryness said:

Read the article mate. Basically everything business wise stops except medical/pharmaceutical services and food chain.

ETA and self isolation becomes mandatory. You can go for a walk, but only with the people you live with. That sort of thing.

Thought it would be easier just to get you to explain it!

Seems to make sense to give it a crack over when the Easter Holidays are going to be, as the schools will be closed and a fair few people not working anyway.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I don’t think it covered fast food restaurants.

They're next.   MacDonalds had cut everyone's hours down and were still flat out on the drive thru, no doubt making enough money. 

They've not made this decision out of the goodness of their heart. 

1 hour ago, Red EnZed said:

My colleague's son, in the NZAF in Blenheim, has been on special training for the last 3 weeks: lots of "stuff" they dont normally do, extra PT, arms, the lot.

Does this include target practice where they were ordered to shoot the citizens instead of the bad guys?

19 hours ago, skaro said:

I got this note from Gordon (Pistonbroke), from his hospital bed in Bielefeld, and he asked me to pass it on to "the lads":

After a rough night I'm feeling a bit better, being on drips with liquid medicine is having an effect.  Had all tests done for corona and have to wait 48 hours or thereabouts for the results.  8 people were taken to the city hospital with the same symptoms, but none of us has a high fever.  So we are all lined up to have a camera shoved down our airways to check on them and lungs. That is planned for today as I'm nil by mouth. I'll let you know more once I get the results from both the camera and the corona test...

IMG-20200322-WA0000.jpg

Not as fit as his avatar, is he?

Get well, Pissy. I'll try to step up my Rico-annoying game while you're recovering.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

So going off these stats there are/have been circa 100,000 symptomatic cases in the UK?

https://cmmid.github.io/topics/covid19/severity/global_cfr_estimates.html

If it’s saying we’ve only reported 10% of cases wouldn’t that be nearer 500,000 symptomatic cases, as were up to 5000 plus reported cases at the moment.

8 minutes ago, Anubis said:

If it’s saying we’ve only reported 10% of cases wouldn’t that be nearer 500,000 symptomatic cases, as were up to 5000 plus reported cases at the moment.

No, 5,000 is 10% of 50,000. If we'd reported 1% of cases, then that would be 500,000 in all.

11 hours ago, aRdja said:

The herd immunity supporters have gone awfully quiet round here.

It was a very optimistic leap to transfer the science studied for the use of vaccines on specific diseases to covid 19 with antibodies being generated from just catching it and getting better. Don't know much but one of the diseases we have vaccines for that herd immunity doesn't work for is flu and flu type viruses as they specifically have the ability to mutate into slightly different forms rendering the vaccine  antibodies useless to the newly shaped antigens on the virus. Thus you have to get an upgraded flu vaccine every year. As you can see I have been home schooling biology at weekend ! Perhaps Cummings could have read the BBC bitesize module on microorganisms it's all there for 13 year olds.

Anyway he is a knob and it's now hopefully obvious to all let's get it done voters that  herd immunity was another slogan just to ensure plenty of parasite no weath generation pensioners and pre existing burden on society patients caught the virus in order to balance the books for providing the needed bailout for businesses. 

I am cynical but have lived through conservative governments before. All this fawning over the chancellor and his bail out. Yes it needed but they will claw it back be under no illusions. The middle to lower escelons of society will be paying for this for next 30 years. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

So going off these stats there are/have been circa 100,000 symptomatic cases in the UK?

https://cmmid.github.io/topics/covid19/severity/global_cfr_estimates.html

This is mostly in line with my intuitive estimates based on deaths and cultural stereotypes, as in, Germany is probably x3 of actual cases any Italy over x20 (Austria has the same death rate as Germany, and Switzerland was until recently still in that ball park, along with most Scandinavian countries). So when it comes to discrepancies in death rate, it's largely not how good your intensive care units are at this stage, it's about how accurately you are able to report.

There is an interesting figure for Spain when they had under 20,000 cases, almost half of infections were over 60s, which must mean they were only able to test people with more serious symptoms and many younger infectados simply stayed at home for a week (or tried to walk it off infecting everybody around them).  

https://elpais.com/sociedad/2020/03/16/actualidad/1584379038_891570.html