You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Obviously this virus will decimate places like Africa due to the townships, lack of medical supplies etc.

The one place which may surpass all countries in the next couple of days is the United States. Nearly twice as many new cases than Italy, no complete lockdown measures in place, severe shortage of hospital facilities to accommodate the population and their health care payment system will massively impact numbers, especially amongst the lower classes.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ for anyone interested in graphs and further info.

The Chinese now reporting new cases as Chinese nationals return home. New arrivals are being shipped straight to quarantine hotels for 2-3 weeks with strict body temperature checks enforced.

Stay safe everyone. Hope Gordon (PB) doesn't have his Berlin fight training too impacted.

• Upvote 2

Just watched Dispatches (Coronavirus: How to Isolate Yourself) with Dr Xand van Tulleken on C4 catch up.

Very informative and highly recommended watch. Lots of useful tips which we've not really had, if you come down with symptoms, in terms of what to take and how to isolate, primarily if you're living with others.

I still wasn't convinced by the government 'following the science' after he interviewed Dr Jenny Harries at the end, but I will give cut them a little bit more slack. But you still have to wonder why a country like Germany with a Rolls Royce healthcare system and much lower deaths is locking shit down and we're still not.

Add to that every single medical professional or politician in Italy are telling us to lock it down and are baffled why we haven't. There was a slight ray of hope today in terms of reduction of new cases, which is the result of their strict lockdown.

I still think they have got it badly wrong, but lets see what happens in the next week.

New Zealand going for it early. Schools and non-essential services closed as from tomorrow (Level 3), full lockdown as from Wednesday (Level 4). I think its the fact that we've just had our first two community transmission cases. Have to say that whilst I'm not Jacindas biggest fan in the normal run of things, she's certainly kicking ass in this crisis.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12319029

41 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

New Zealand going for it early. Schools and non-essential services closed as from tomorrow (Level 3), full lockdown as from Wednesday (Level 4). I think its the fact that we've just had our first two community transmission cases. Have to say that whilst I'm not Jacindas biggest fan in the normal run of things, she's certainly kicking ass in this crisis.

What's full lockdown mean?

1 hour ago, General Dryness said:

Yip. Carterton is one of those cases. Thats 15 kms from me. In fact, a co-worker’s dad, drinks at the same watering hole as the covid case. 

I have 48 hours to get thru, and then I can work from home, in essential services.