You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I had the radio on earlier and it was refreshing to hear adverts talking about phone contracts, car finance, bank charge claims etc. Normally the kind that make me want to squeeze a kittens neck until its eyes pop out into my nostrils this time made me want to go outside and make daisy chains. 

Yeah, it's that sense of normality, a distraction from what's causing us to be anxious.

My advice to anyone feeling a bit heavy during this period is to keep the updates to bullet points, distance yourself from social media reactions and get yourself a routine. Sturgeon said today 'it should not feel normal', it shouldn't but you can create a normality that works for you within these conditions.

6 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Fair enough, there will always be twats but I’m seeing unprecedented change right in front of my eyes.

I think City’s are dead, before I finished on Manchester like week it was like a ghost town.  For some reason they seem to think they are ok at weekends or ‘just shopping’ 

48 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Back on the stealth herd immunity stuff, I was shit scared in the late 80s of getting AIDS. That was exclusively because of that advert with the tombstone that seemed to be on the tele every 5 minutes. 

Why aren't we seeing similar adverts, of a similar frequency, with coronavirus? There's been next to nothing. They could've easily done a short 1 minute or so advert and banged it on in between every programme. The "messaging" has been weak and half-hearted and hasn't really done enough to get people to move away from the PMs "take it on the chin" and "shaking hands" with coronavirus patients messages. 

The spaffed all the budget on the Brexit ads.

6 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Fuming with my cousin who took it upon herself to go and visit my 85 year old grandma for a cup of tea on Friday night. Daft prick. She didn't see anything wrong with it - they sat apart from each other o different sofas. Oh that's alright then! 

What aren't people getting? Is it just an English arrogance? 

I don't think it's arrogance. I just think this nation is geared and educated not to listen and understand the news. If people stopped and thought about what they were hearing on the news, they'd not put up with the governments they have. It's just apathy and it applies to everything in life. Only a small percentage of the population is willing to think for itself and it's why the right wing press is so influencial in this country. They just hear the sound bite they're given and move on to playing candy crush.or whatever. This is how the government want us to be and our education system is geared to bringing out people who don't think and think everything they see and hear is someone else's problem - people get interested once it's impacting them. 

5 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

I just saw someone on twitter say Cummings is like Bannon was with Trump, can remember saying the same on here a while back and that he'd probably be gone eventually because he'd be too insane for the government to deal with. I still agree with that and think it's just a matter of time.

I didn't expect him to be "mass culling during a global pandemic" insane though.

I don't think he's well known enough to get the Bannon treatment. As per my message above, I would guess less than 10% of the population would recognise Cummings if shown a photo and given his name less than 25% would know what he does and the influence he has - I mainly blame the BBC and ITV for this. Bannon had quite some profile in the US, especially with the cunt wearing MAGA baseball caps. For me this creates 2 issues, if the people want a scapegoat, he won't be a big enough name. The second issue is he has complete control and will just direct Johnson to thrown Hancock under the bus on the basis of "as if an advisor could tell a minister what to do". The British population will lap that up. 

4 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Quoted accidentally and can't remove on my phone. 

4 hours ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Why did Spain and Italy feel the need to lock their populations down when everyone was already abiding by common sense restrictions?

Just shows the world is full of cunts..

2 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson is going for herd immunity by stealth here. 

He's fucking useless. 

Dead on mate. From the second international scientists started to slaughter the British government over this strategy, we have absolutely continued with it, but everyone is under instruction never to speak of it again..

10 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

My mum just sent me a message. She got a message from a German pen pal 

Here in the Hannover Medical School was broken into and stolen:
40 liter surface disinfectant
100 protective masks
500 face masks
150 protective glasses

@Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper .... Cunts everywhere! 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

My mum just sent me a message. She got a message from a German pen pal 

Here in the Hannover Medical School was broken into and stolen:
40 liter surface disinfectant
100 protective masks
500 face masks
150 protective glasses

Bastards. 

19 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I don't think it's arrogance. I just think this nation is geared and educated not to listen and understand the news. If people stopped and thought about what they were hearing on the news, they'd not put up with the governments they have. It's just apathy and it applies to everything in life. Only a small percentage of the population is willing to think for itself and it's why the right wing press is so influencial in this country. They just hear the sound bite they're given and move on to playing candy crush.or whatever. This is how the government want us to be and our education system is geared to bringing out people who don't think and think everything they see and hear is someone else's problem - people get interested once it's impacting them. 

I don't think he's well known enough to get the Bannon treatment. As per my message above, I would guess less than 10% of the population would recognise Cummings if shown a photo and given his name less than 25% would know what he does and the influence he has - I mainly blame the BBC and ITV for this. Bannon had quite some profile in the US, especially with the cunt wearing MAGA baseball caps. For me this creates 2 issues, if the people want a scapegoat, he won't be a big enough name. The second issue is he has complete control and will just direct Johnson to thrown Hancock under the bus on the basis of "as if an advisor could tell a minister what to do". The British population will lap that up. 

Quoted accidentally and can't remove on my phone. 

Just shows the world is full of cunts..

Dead on mate. From the second international scientists started to slaughter the British government over this strategy, we have absolutely continued with it, but everyone is under instruction never to speak of it again..

@Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper .... Cunts everywhere! 

Aye, that was exactly my point mate.

However, there are also examples of the best of us all over the shop as well.

What's the fucking point!

Coronavirus: flights from Italy, Iran and China still landing

Thousands of passengers from coronavirus hotspots such as Iran, Italy and even China are flying into Britain, despite the government’s domestic lockdown.

Flights have been arriving in London from Beijing and Rome every day, while Iran Air is operating three flights a week from Tehran.

The revelation follows a decision by the EU last week to ban virtually all travellers from outside the bloc for 30 days.

Yesterday two Air China flights from Beijing, as well as a China Eastern service from Shanghai, landed at Heathrow. A separate flight from Shanghai touched down at Gatwick in the morning. The next flight from Iran, the country with the third-highest death toll, is scheduled to arrive in London this afternoon.

Italy’s national carrier, Alitalia, continues to operate up to four daily flights to Heathrow from Rome. The route remains in service even though British Airways, easyJet and Ryanair have cancelled all their flights between Italy and the UK.

On Thursday, Italy overtook China as the nation with the highest number of deaths linked to the coronavirus.

Passengers showing symptoms of the infection are not allowed to board flights in the three hotspot countries. Those who do take off are asked to self-isolate for 14 days on arrival in the UK, although there are no means of enforcing this.

The former cabinet minister Theresa Villiers has raised the Tehran flights with the government after she was alerted by constituents of Iranian descent. “The time has come to suspend routine air travel from Iran,” she said. “I have raised this issue with the foreign secretary and I would now urge him to take this step.”

Some non-EU countries, such as India and Kazakhstan, stopped Iran Air flights many days ago.

The Foreign Office advised Britons last week not to travel anywhere abroad unless it was essential.

Airlines have had to slash schedules and lay off staff. Ryanair is due to ground its entire fleet — bar a few flights to Ireland — on Tuesday. BA has cut capacity by 75%, while Virgin plans to scrap four-fifths of its flights and has asked staff to take eight weeks of unpaid leave.

The flight chaos comes as Britons stranded abroad have accused some airlines of profiteering by charging inflated prices for tickets to return home, just as governments around the world are asked to bail out the struggling aviation industry. Up to a million citizens are struggling to get back to Britain from countries such as Spain, Morocco and Peru, where the authorities have clamped down on individuals’ movements due to outbreaks of Covid-19.

Last week Dominic Raab, the foreign secretary, suggested that some people should “think very seriously” about remaining overseas, despite the Foreign Office advising Britons to avoid normal travel anywhere in the world.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-flights-from-italy-iran-and-china-still-landing-3v7363rxr