You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Why do people need trolleys if shopping is restricted? Surely trolleys could easily be restricted to only people who cannot carry baskets?

Restrictions are on how much of each item you can buy, not on how many items.

7 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

You got a link for that? I seen someone on Twitter the other day say that only 15% were asymptomatic and the rest eventually showed symptoms but he didn’t link to anything backing it up. 

With regards to it spreading widely amongst the 20-29 age bracket in Korea I posted an article about that the other day. They said the cult that the virus started in was predominantly made up of younger people and members of the cult still make up most of the total cases in Korea so it’s no surprise it’s skewed towards younger people over there. 

https://cmmid.github.io/topics/covid19/severity/diamond_cruise_cfr_estimates.html

It does mention that it's possible they tested positive prior to being symptomatic actually, but does that account for 70%?

3 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Restrictions are on how much of each item you can buy, not on how many items.

So you can buy two of EVERYTHING in the store? And they call that a restriction? 

You need trolleys because some stuff is clearly too big or heavy to be carried in a basket. For example the only dog food (which is also selling out everywhere by the way) they had in Asda last night was a 24 pack or Pedigree chum for a tenner. Now I can carry that but a 60 year old woman couldn’t. Or a couple of 2l bottles of lemonade and your basket is full. 

Also with being told you might have to self isolate for two weeks I can understand why people are buying a little more. I’m not condoning full on panic buyers but it makes sense to have a little bit extra in your house in case you can’t go out imo. 

• Upvote 1

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/6/20-0320_article

We estimated the case-fatality risk for 2019 novel coronavirus disease cases in China (3.5%); China, excluding Hubei Province (0.8%); 82 countries, territories, and areas (4.2%); and on a cruise ship (0.6%). Lower estimates might be closest to the true value, but a broad range of 0.25%–3.0% probably should be considered.

2 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

https://cmmid.github.io/topics/covid19/severity/diamond_cruise_cfr_estimates.html

It does mention that it's possible they tested positive prior to being symptomatic actually, but does that account for 70%?

I’m not sure, I can’t find conclusive stats on it. I did read somewhere though, might have been by that WHO fella, that most asymptomatic people do eventually show symptoms even if they are really mild like just a cough. 

We have had lots of people get in touch about lack of social distancing in the UK, with people going out in the sunny weather.

A reader from the Lake District - a popular holiday destination in north-west England - sent in the picture, below, taken yesterday. They did not want to be named but said: 

A picture tells a thousand words - take a look at the attached image. People are escaping to the countryside for days out as normal. 

The National Trust shut all its properties, but kept the outdoor places open for people to exercise. They had to reverse this decision overnight as thousands of tourists saw the sunny weather as an opportunity to have a day out. Many of the properties where busier that a normal bank holiday weekend. This is just not acceptable.

The rural areas just can’t cope with this kinds of influx of visitors at this time. Our healthcare system in the Lakes is only meant for the 500,000 permanent residents. It’s already being overwhelmed. 

The local community is trying its best to get the message across that we aren’t welcoming visitors at the moment, but it just doesn’t seem to be working. We are overrun. Car parks have turned into campsites, and our small local co-ops are now empty as they can’t keep up with demand from tourists. All the holiday cottages and second homes are full.

782.jpg?width=465&quality=45&auto=format

Just now, Sugar Ape said:

I’m not sure, I can’t find conclusive stats on it. I did read somewhere though, might have been by that WHO fella, that most asymptomatic people do eventually show symptoms even if they are really mild like just a cough. 

The second link I posted suggested that 'some may have' later shown symptoms. There are actual examples of older people not showing symptoms, Idris Elba being one, I think Tom Hanks was asymptomatic too.

4 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

You need trolleys because some stuff is clearly too big or heavy to be carried in a basket. For example the only dog food (which is also selling out everywhere by the way) they had in Asda last night was a 24 pack or Pedigree chum for a tenner. Now I can carry that but a 60 year old woman couldn’t. Or a couple of 2l bottles of lemonade and your basket is full. 

Also with being told you might have to self isolate for two weeks I can understand why people are buying a little more. I’m not condoning full on panic buyers but it makes sense to have a little bit extra in your house in case you can’t go out imo. 

Pensioners have got to eat too

I think we all need to be careful with our mental health too. Focus on some positives, be distracted. If you just read about the deaths and the hopelessness you will defo start to feel down, which actually makes you more susceptible to the virus.

• Upvote 2

You can come up with a thousand and one ideas to solve this but the bottom line is that people don't own their sense of community in times like these. If you ration items, they'll come up with a work around (e.g. multiple shops or take family members and split up at the checkout) or justification (e.g. I can't reduce my weekly amount because I can't reduce our standard of living and I'm not putting my family at risk).

We're told there's plenty of food in the pipeline but the problem is getting it to the shelves and staff illness. I heard people even traveling to nearby villages (often full of elderly folk) and nipping into local butchers and clearing them out.

At the moment, it's becoming a bit of a buzz and I don't think the majority of people have been greatly stung by it yet. And perhaps they never will. But people going into shops, taking pictures of empty shelves, having news reports about it and having NHS contacting radio shows in tears about being unable to get food. It all adds to this mass hysteria and survival of the fitness mentality and flies completely in the face of what we should be doing (distancing, isolating etc).

The only way this gets solved is if supermarkets close completely and switch to online/telephone only. They'd need to employ more drivers and improve their online systems but it's certainly doable. Rationing could be better managed and people are often more restrictive when online ordering in contrast to in-store impulsive buying. Existing staff could help collect orders and drivers could easily be hired with all the job losses currently happening.

But I think this only happens if there's absolutely nothing (e.g. beyond basic essentials etc) in the store which is a long way off for a lot of communities.

19 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Why do people need trolleys if shopping is restricted? Surely trolleys could easily be restricted to only people who cannot carry baskets?

Amount of items are restricted,  you're still going to need a trolley if you're getting a normal weekly shop in. 

Restrict people to baskets and you'll be forcing daily shops,  not such a great idea. 

• Upvote 1

From The Guardian :

A group of almost 4,000 NHS workers in the UK have pleaded with the prime minister, Boris Johnson, to ensure they have adequate protective equipment to deal with the coronavirus crisis.

In an open letter to The Sunday Times, the medics have called on Johnson to “protect the lives of the life-savers” and resolve the “unacceptable” shortage of protective equipment.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/22/coronavirus-news-coronavirus-live-updates-deaths-uk-italy-lockdown-spain-us-new-york-south-america?page=with:block-5e77250a8f08e0999e6b7ed0#block-5e77250a8f08e0999e6b7ed0

Can't read it though because it's behind a fucking paywall. Why would they choose to put it in an outlet where the public can't have open access to it? It's unreal and people should have access for free, this is more important than the fucking Times making a bit of cash.

21 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah just keep them all in the more densely populated areas while you lot with acres of horse and cow shit are all fine. Fucking disgrace 

18 confirmed cases in Liverpool. 20 in Cornwall. 

28 in Manchester. 42 in Devon.

But yeah, all inbred farmers without a care in the world. Ta.

source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

20 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Amount of items are restricted,  you're still going to need a trolley if you're getting a normal weekly shop in. 

Restrict people to baskets and you'll be forcing daily shops,  not such a great idea. 

I'd like to know if some people are going daily anyway.