You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

For anyone that thinks the Italy comparisons are over the top there's a thread here that Richard Horton (editor of The Lancet) just linked. If this is right any delaying of a full lockdown, even by a few more days is going to make this get badly out of hand. So no idea what's going to happen if they blunder through next week without even implementing one. Ideally Johnson should be turfed out of power right now. He's proven so fucking bad at dealing with this, even after seeing exactly what's happened in Italy. But too many idiots are still worshipping him.

11 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

How can this be getting around the world so easily? Is it really human to human or could this be something in the environment? It just seems so weird that no flights around the world and yet it's still moving around like it's nothing at all.

Italy started with the Chinese couple who visited from Wuhan.

They were in Italy travelling around for 8 days before they developed symptons and then declared with the virus.

All you need is 1 fucker unknowingly spreading it, like the guy who came back to Brighton and then visited France.

It's fucking savage.

5 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

They were in Italy for 8 days before they were declared.

All you need is 1 fucker unknowingly spreading it, like the guy who came back to Brighton and then visited France.

It's fucking brutal.

The scum were knowingly spreading it anyway the fucking rats.

Johnson is as good as finished.  The catastrophe that's soon to happen was manageable.  This cunts as I said ages ago has cost people their lives.

5 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Well, no. It's a virus that jumped species. Not sure what you're getting at here?

It's started in new countries even though flights have all been grounded and it seems way harder to travel than before. Perhaps people are still getting from one country to another but if not, how is it spreading in new countries?

1 hour ago, TheBitch said:

I think so. They just take a reading of your forehead. 

I have had a cold for most of the fucking year and just can’t shift it. 

Anyway I was sat in Bangkok airport and had a little coughing fit and some grass blew me up, next thing I’m surrounded by the Thai police asking if I’ve got a face mask, all the while sweat is starting to pour off me and they hand me a couple more masks and tell me to put them on. 

Trust me, being surrounded by Thai police is not a nice experience. 

Ah shit, sorry to hear that mate. All the best and hopefully a full and speedy recovery 

5 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

They were in Italy travelling around for 8 days before they developed symptons and then declared with the virus.

It's fucking savage.

That's how it started? Wow. That's insane. So people must be taking it from country to country still. Brutal.

Just now, Shooter in the Motor said:

It's started in new countries even though flights have all been grounded and it seems way harder to travel than before. Perhaps people are still getting from one country to another but if not, how is it spreading in new countries?

The incubation period can be up to 14 days. It only really started feeling like it could be a major issue in this country on Monday. 

Just now, Captain Turdseye said:

The incubation period can be up to 14 days. It only really started feeling like it could be a major issue in this country on Monday. 

I've seen the incubation period, so presumably it's still contagious during that period. I'm pleased to have stopped getting in the car with people now, no income right now but health of those around me is number 1.

1 minute ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Stop. 

There's no conspiracy or nonsense here. It spread exactly how you'd expect a pandemic to spread. There's always a chain leading back- 'we' didn't follow it and shut it down.

Is there any good reason why we are still allowing regular passenger flights into the UK? Surely we have to start limiting all incoming arrivals to essential passengers, such as doctors, scientists? We're not even testing people for the virus at airports. How are we expected to control this outbreak if we're still allowing people into the country without testing? Am I missing something here or is this pretty insane?

12 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

It's fucking savage.

There is a good article online about patient 31 from South Korea that shows very well how it can spread from just one person.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/31-south-korea-sudden-spike-coronavirus-cases-200303065953841.html

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

Stop. 

There's no conspiracy or nonsense here. It spread exactly how you'd expect a pandemic to spread. There's always a chain leading back- 'we' didn't follow it and shut it down.

No suggestion of conspiracy. If people are still travelling between countries then it makes sense that it's transferring to new countries, but it's surprising that international travel is still happening if that's the case.

4 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Is there any good reason why we are still allowing regular passenger flights into the UK? Surely we have to start limiting all incoming arrivals to essential passengers, such as doctors, scientists? We're not even testing people for the virus at airports. How are we expected to control this outbreak if we're still allowing people into the country without testing? Am I missing something here or is this pretty insane?

'Economy'

1 minute ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I think calls from the public and sections of the press will grow throughout tomorrow and Monday and by the time the daily presser rolls around at 5pm “the science” will have changed again and will now be “telling them” the same thing. 

It's gutting.  If it was done sooner it would have allowed the NHS to save peoples lives.  Instead they're overun already and the shit storm hasn't started.

One of the papers (the Mirror, I think) is reporting that an NHS ENT consultant has the virus and is currently receiving ventilation treatment. They caught it from an asymptomatic in-patient who they treated without wearing any PPE protection. 

That we've got NHS staff treating symptomatic coronavirus patients without first being given to enough/sufficient PPE kit should, when looked back on, go down as a national disgrace. 

Hopefully this will all come out in the wash of a public inquiry and those responsible will be held to account either by losing their jobs or being charged with corporate manslaughter. 

21 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Yeah it's insane how fast it's getting out of hand in so many countries now. Every so often I check back on that Hopkins global tracker (usually check here/twitter/guardian updates now instead) and I'm gobsmacked at how so many thousands more cases have appeared for countries like Spain and Germany.

This whole slowing the spread stuff is fucking stupid. If we start tracking it better with way more tests and lockdown like China did we can stop it. The only issue China has now seems to be people flying back into the country with more cases. So if we can solve it in as many countries as possible then even the chances of people flying in is reduced. There's going to need to be testing at airports though and quarantines for people entering.

It's going to take a massive worldwide effort over the next few months but it can be done, anything else is just defeatist bullshit that could cost hundreds of thousands, even millions of lives if it's not done.

I wonder why nobody told Johnson that if the rest of the world had tried his stupid fuck herd immunity idea we could've had death levels equalling or surpassing the black death? Absolute psychopaths.

7 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

No suggestion of conspiracy. If people are still travelling between countries then it makes sense that it's transferring to new countries, but it's surprising that international travel is still happening if that's the case.

Phew, sorry, thought you were suggesting something else. And yes, it is astonishing that air travel wasn't curtailed a lot sooner, but it only really takes one person or lapse to introduce it into the population- once it's spread to a couple of hundred people, you're fucked.

I think you're a Steam user, try Plague Inc, it's not a great game as it's worryingly easy to win, but it does show how readily viruses can spread.

Just now, Mudface said:

Phew, sorry, thought you were suggesting something else. And yes, it is astonishing that air travel wasn't curtailed a lot sooner, but it only really takes one person or lapse to introduce it into the population- once it's spread to a couple of hundred people, you're fucked.

I think you're a Steam user, try Plague Inc, it's not a great game as it's worryingly easy to win, but it does show how readily viruses can spread.

I've just looked into it, airports are still active but they have restrictions on where you can travel to. I'll take a look at it so if it's cheap I'll grab it but without an income right now, spending is at a premium!

5 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I've just looked into it, airports are still active but they have restrictions on where you can travel to. I'll take a look at it so if it's cheap I'll grab it but without an income right now, spending is at a premium!

There's a free version for phones, not sure if there's a free Windows one with most features. From memory, it was a piece of piss to 'win' it, all you had to do was hide symptoms and increase communicability. Looks like CV-19 aced it.

20 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I put some freebies in the cheap games thread earlier.