You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Just now, sir roger said:

Yes a young girl I was speaking to said the NHS was taking over her hospital the Fairfield in Crank by St Helens although any booked operations will still go ahead.

I've no idea how that hospital is private anyway, it's as basic as fuck.

My dad had a knee operation there, as an NHS patient but it looks anything but 'premium'.

20 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Yes a young girl I was speaking to said the NHS was taking over her hospital the Fairfield in Crank by St Helens although any booked operations will still go ahead.

All elective surgery has been cancelled with Nuffield.

I wouldn't take those figures for doctors and nurses as gospel yet though. The vast majority of private doctors and a lot of nurses already work in the NHS so they're not going to be 'extras' although they will help with capacity.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

SD genuine question, I'm not baiting, you have been asked but have avoided it. Is everyone going to be embarrassed still? If you still think that then can you try and lighten the mood with your reasons why? I could do with a more positive spin on things. 

I'm not avoiding anything. I still maintain that the number of deaths in the UK are not going to be exceptionally worse than a bad flu season.

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I’ve watched practically fuck all about this whole thing, so I come to you for sensible information. How long is this going to take to stop being a thing?

Who the hell knows. People here are just guessing. While it's encouraging to see so many people who were flood management gurus little more than a month ago are now expert epidemiologists, I find it's best to trust the actual government scientists, as they're privy to way more information than we are.

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Who the hell knows. People here are just guessing. While it's encouraging to see so many people who were flood management gurus little more than a month ago are now expert epidemiologists, I find it's best to trust the actual government scientists, as they're privy to way more information than we are.

Nobody in the government is saying people will be very embarrassed as to how concerned they had been when the true effects of this are seen, so you’re not practicing what you preach there, are you?

Do you think our government would make a widespread offer to cover 80% of people’s wages for something equivalent to the winter flu?

6 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Just messaged my old GP who ran a phenomenal local hospice here and is a palliative care doctor at Southampton Hospital. He is an extremely well-respected, experienced, measured and level-headed individual. He sounds very worried.

Give him SD’s number. The trolling ex-GP dimwit is worried over nothing. 

Went to local town this afternoon- kept decent social distance but couple of biffs (looked like husband and wife) walking in front of me were chain smoking whilst puffing out smoke that was flying straight over their shoulders towards me due to the wind- closest Ive come to taking action with people I dont know- fucking idiots (to add to the incredulity, it was walking down a slope into a subway) 

10 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I'm not avoiding anything. I still maintain that the number of deaths in the UK are not going to be exceptionally worse than a bad flu season.

Not trying to cause a row but isn't the death rate far higher statistically. And also the rate of people needing intensive care is far higher. 

I'd love the death rate to be similar to a bad flu season but I doubt it

1 hour ago, Alan Sex said:

The kids asked what was for dinner and I told them “Scraps”. 

They started crying. Spoiled brats, it’s really hard to find fresh food at the moment due to all the panic buying. 

And it was a stupid name for a dog anyway. 

Stealing that

Just been for a run, 5 mile loop around mostly residential areas, hardly seen anyone out, buses going by completely empty so it seems people are starting to see sense.

That is until I got to one particular rough arse part of an estate, the type were people are always out on the front, couches and cars on bricks on the drive, that kind of thing. Not only were they all still out in the dark with kids running all over the street and music playing but one of the Clampets had a steel barrel at the end of his drive with a massive fire going, swigging ale with a load of others.

Scruffy dickheads.

Matt Hancock, the Health Secretary, has announced that 4,000 nurses and 500 doctors who have recently retired have returned to work to assist the NHS with the coronavirus crisis.

The Government called for recently-retired staff to swell the ranks to deal with the 5,000 positive cases in the UK.

5 minutes ago, davelfc said:

Matt Hancock, the Health Secretary, has announced that 4,000 nurses and 500 doctors who have recently retired have returned to work to assist the NHS with the coronavirus crisis.

The Government called for recently-retired staff to swell the ranks to deal with the 5,000 positive cases in the UK.

Hopefully they retired early and aren't of an age that puts them at risk.

• Upvote 1