You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Just fucking wow

I wonder if now, even now, the sheer pitiable lunacy of having pandered to arseholes like this mental fucking tick on the back of humanity will occur to so many of our supposed leaders.

People are sick of experts, indeed.

4 minutes ago, Elite said:

Sky news interviewing half cut people outside of pubs. Making themselves look like idiots but no doubt that's the intention of the reporters.

It’s the will of the people mate. We must all listen carefully to this sovereign nation’s wise sons and daughters. 

They should do an on-location Question Time from outside The Swan and Tomato, or wherever they’re interviewing these fucking mongoloids.

5 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

It’s the will of the people mate. We must all listen carefully to this sovereign nation’s wise sons and daughters. 

They should do an on-location Question Time from outside The Swan and Tomato, or wherever they’re interviewing these fucking mongoloids.

Until they start seeing people close to them die, they will continue to be ignorant. They should make everyone watch videos of intensive care units in Italy, as the reality will be very close to home in the next few weeks.

Guest Pistonbroke
7 minutes ago, davelfc said:

Apparently If anyone has recently been laid off work due to the pandemic but was on a company’s payroll on 28th February, you can go back to that employer and request they apply to HMRC for a grant to cover your salary for at least 3 months.

I was just about to post that.

This is a huge moment, says business group

Rain Newton-Smith, chief economist at the CBI business group says this is a "huge moment", and that the government, businesses and the trade unions are "standing together to make sure our economy comes out the other side".

Asked how the government's promise to cover workers' salary will help those who have already been let go due to coronavirus, she says: "If you were on the payroll as of the 28 February but have since been let go then the company can apply for you on your behalf.

"I think they have really worked hard to make sure they are protecting people who are already facing challenging times."

I believe my local pub has been told that the rooms that get let out above could be commandeered for use as sick beds if need be, the fella that runs called his boss that he had a phone call saying just that, don't know if that's true or not, from local government I should imagine. 

If so it's fucking ridiculous 

They are apparently about to tell us not to go to work for 3 months as the most vulnerable group. If so I would expect to be covered to be honest. If not I have little choice but to work 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

They are apparently about to tell us not to go to work for 3 months as the most vulnerable group. If so I would expect to be covered to be honest. If not I have little choice but to work 

Im sure you will be. Utter disgrace if not. 

I can't really knock what the government have done today. Apart from the delay in getting there. 

But, imagine if you'd previously lost a loved one due to austerity measures. It must be a bit of a kick in the face today, to see the government implicitly admit that the money was always there but a choice was made to keep people down in the gutters. 

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Lee, for peace of mind and the fact you are in one of the high risk groups you should ask someone at Gov't level/your MP or a lawyer. I'm sure that people who have to self isolate due to this are covered, but best to be sure. 

Just now, Pistonbroke said:

Lee, for peace of mind and the fact you are in one of the high risk groups you should ask someone at Gov't level/your MP or a lawyer. I'm sure that people who have to self isolate due to this are covered, but best to be sure. 

The letters are due next week. Hopefully they'll be updated with this news and I'll go from there. 

Luckily as I've said before I work along so I only have a little contact so will see out the next 4 shifts and should have a better idea as I'm off Tues-Thurs. It's just we are predicted to be 2 weeks behind Italy and if I can stay home I will

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

I work at a nursery in payroll, been mass redundancies I've had my hours reduced to 7.5 hours per week till further notice. Not sure I'm going to be covered by this 80% grant.

Thats awful mate. Aren't you automatically entitled to benefits of some sort if you work less than 16 hours?