You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

5 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Me and my wife both work in aviation. She lost her job yesterday and I’m just waiting for the call to say I’m been put on indefinite unpaid leave. Scary at the best of times. Terrifying when we’ve got a 2 and a 1 year old also. 

Fucking hell. So sorry to hear that.

Are you entitled to benefits while being on unpaid leave?

Hopefully the goverment (fuck all chance I know) will announce financial support for both scenarios later today.

Ryanair chief executive Michael O’Leary said that he and the rest of the airline’s employees will take a 50 per cent pay cut, as Europe’s largest low-cost carrier prepares for a lengthy shutdown in the region’s air travel. 

The outspoken executive said Ryanair was working on a best-case scenario of two-three months in which flights would be grounded and revenues would vanish as the coronavirus outbreak wreaks havoc on the industry.

However, in an interview with the Financial Times he admitted that “honestly none of us have any idea”. 

“All that you can draw on is what appears to be the Chinese experience. Both for hope and optimism. They seem to have no new cases now in the last two days, that’s three months later but after very draconian lock down measures,” he said. “If we follow the same pattern as the Chinese then I think certainly from our perspective . . . we’re talking about a close down that will last for at least three months.” 

meanwhile....

The report says the Ryanair supremo earned €1.75million last year, which is made up of a salary of €968,425 and a bonus of €783,000. That's an increase on a salary of €768,000 last year, and a bonus of just over half a million quid.

However, as a report in the Mirror on the payments says, O'Leary's salary is tiny compared to what his shares in the company are worth. O'Leary owns more than 51 million Ryanair shares (3.7 per cent of the total) and that is worth a sweet €355million,

I think most of our Coronavirus response is lacking because of resource issues. 

Not enough test kits. Not enough staff to deliver the tests. Not enough hospital beds to treat people. Not enough police and military personnel to enforce a "lockdown" situation. 

I think that when we come out of the other side of this there simply has to be some sort of public inquiry and we shouldn't forget those who've been found wanting. 

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Worst company ever , just have a look at the Trip Advisor comments on the Adelphi and Pontins Ainsdale. Most of the complaints could be sorted by simply cleaning these places properly but they can’t be bothered. The Adelphi is that bad these days that it is actually mentioned on the commentary on the open top bus tour of the city

Apparently the council have been looking in ways they could cpo the building off them if they don't improve and renovate. By someway it's supposed to be the single biggest negative in terms of people's view of the city and unfortunately because it's so cheap gets booked up for lots of conferences and stuff to do with the uni, so it can people's only view of the city. 

• Upvote 1

The advice is for over 70s and those with chronic health issues, to stay at home for 12 weeks, yet people are having to go to supermarkets, day after day in hope of purchasing food and other essentials. Something Johnson and the government seem to be totally ignoring. Fucking ridiculous.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

Just braved two different supermarkets and the difference** in how they are approaching things is alarming. Neither of them had bog roll, soap etc and food with a long shelf life such as tinned stuff was more or less stripped bare, so much for stopping hoarders getting their mits on it.  Fresh veg, fruit, meat in abundance, so I'm happy enough. Also a load of frozen vegetables and fruit, so easy enough to stock up the freezer to make sure you can still eat healthy. 

One supermarket were controlling how many people were allowed in, all the staff were wearing gloves and at the checkout and around the store people were being asked to keep a distance from one another. 

The other, they didn't give a fuck about any of the above and those people using it didn't either. 

47 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Fucking hell. So sorry to hear that.

Are you entitled to benefits while being on unpaid leave?

Hopefully the goverment (fuck all chance I know) will announce financial support for both scenarios later today.

Yeah, she gets €200 a week. That’s what I think I’ll get too when I get the bullet. 

17 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Just braved two different supermarkets and the difference** in how they are approaching things is alarming. Neither of them had bog roll, soap etc and food with a long shelf life such as tinned stuff was more or less stripped bare, so much for stopping hoarders getting their mits on it.  Fresh veg, fruit, meat in abundance, so I'm happy enough. Also a load of frozen vegetables and fruit, so easy enough to stock up the freezer to make sure you can still eat healthy. 

One supermarket were controlling how many people were allowed in, all the staff were wearing gloves and at the checkout and around the store people were being asked to keep a distance from one another. 

The other, they didn't give a fuck about any of the above and those people using it didn't either. 

Unfortunately, we only have a tiny freezer box. I reckon there will be plenty of people in the same boat, especially elderly couples and those who live alone.

9 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Yeah, she gets €200 a week. That’s what I think I’ll get too when I get the bullet. 

Sorry to hear this J.  Pretty desperate times for those in the travel industry.  

I heard yesterday the news that the venue for my wedding on the 5th April was closed and the booking was cancelled.  Inevitable, but the fact that they have canned it is actually a sliver of good news in a sea of shite as it means at least I can claim on insurance.

• Upvote 2