You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

List of who are classed as key workers and therefore their kids can still go to school. Half the working population by the looks of things. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-maintaining-educational-provision/guidance-for-schools-colleges-and-local-authorities-on-maintaining-educational-provision

Government advice suggests you should not go out unless absolutely necessary. The sensible thing to do would be to have groceries delivered to your home. However, delivery slots are fully booked for days, sometimes weeks ahead, leaving people with little choice but to go to the supermarket, maybe using public transport, then standing in close proximity to others whilst queuing to pay. Scarcity of food and other essentials will mean people are likely to have to shop more frequently than they normally would. Crazy!

2 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

That's a bit misleading isn't it? The first UK coronavirus death was March 5th. Someone obviously wanted to make it look like the number of deaths was rising as fast in the UK as it was in Italy, when actually the column on the right should be shunted down two notches.

6 hours ago, davelfc said:

The government appears to have taken the unusual decision to run a mañana culture. I’ve no doubt ministers and civil servants are working flat out on solutions to the coronavirus crisis, but so far they don’t appear to have a great deal to show for their efforts. It’s as though everyone is looking at someone else to come up with the ideas. Other countries, such as Denmark and New Zealand, that were four weeks behind us in reporting their first cases, are now streets ahead of us in their health and financial bailout preparations. The UK motto appears to be “keep calm and muddle on”. Something may turn up. Though it probably won’t.

t’s not just Boris Johnson’s fundamental lack of plausibility that is the problem. At Thursday evening’s daily Downing Street press conference, he seemed to have totally lost the plot. After a few days of trying to do “serious face” he had reverted to his default end-of-the-pier-show act; the Archie Rice who could no longer even entertain himself. Back were all the familiar smirks, knowing nods and third-rate gags. He sounded tonally deaf, totally at odds with the mood of the nation. When the country wants a man of substance, we get a man of straw.

Coronavirus was back to being some kind of comic-book super-villain. We’d give it a good smack on the nose, dig deep for 12 weeks, and then everything would be more or less back to normal. First we take coronavirus, then we take Brexit. Both were things that could be “got done”. It’s not even as if Boris intentionally means to be glib. He’s desperate to be seen as a great leader. It’s just that he’s fundamentally psychologically flawed. He genuinely can’t bear anything that is too real or too meaningful as it exposes his narcissistic wound that can never heal. So he has to deflect, make light, minimise. Anything but empathy. That costs him far too much.

What most of us wouldn’t give for a Gordon Brown or a John Major right now. Or even a Theresa May. Words I thought I’d never write. At least there was an integrity to her incompetence. You could trust her to do the wrong thing for the right reason. It’s the rest of the cabinet too, almost all of whom can be trusted to fall to the occasion.

Take Gavin Williamson’s decision – some might argue a touch late – to close all schools in England at the weekend. Now it’s not as if this can have taken the country’s favourite fireplace salesman by surprise. He’s had a good six weeks to prepare for an event that everyone but him knew would sooner or later be inevitable. Yet at last night’s Downing Street press conference, he was seemingly blindsided by some of the most obvious questions, such as the details of how children of key workers would remain in school – which members of staff would be the designated teachers – and even what jobs qualified as key worker status. Gav, you had one job. One job.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/19/what-we-wouldnt-give-for-a-gordon-brown-or-john-major-right-now

We desperately needed a statesman, and we have Boris. Shit!

I’d be surprised if Gavin Williams was even in the room when the decision to close the schools was made

A reminder of Gavin in his previous job. I suppose we shouldn't expect too much from him :

The defence secretary’s brain has gone absent without leave. Gavin Williamson said in a speech today that he intends to send his new aircraft carrier, the HMS Queen Elizabeth, round the world to frighten China. He will equip it with a squadron of F-35 fighter jets, purchased from America. In addition he wants to build two British military bases, one in Asia and the other “in the Caribbean”. They are to “strengthen our global presence, enhance our lethality and increase our mass”.

Brexit, says the defence secretary, “has brought us to a great moment in our history”, when we must be ready to deploy “hard power” against those who “flout international law”. What on earth is Williamson talking about – apart from a desire to be Tory leader? His budget was last week said to be £7bn adrift of reality. The Queen Elizabeth cannot sail until 2021. It has no business whatsoever in the South China Sea, where such a vast and unwieldy ship would be a sitting target. The Chinese could sink it in an hour. As for new military bases in the Caribbean and east of Suez, they would cost billions and be an invitation to terrorists. The Chinese must be laughing themselves sick.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/11/gavin-williamson-defence-policy-uk

• Upvote 1

I don't see how long this can go on economy wise. Almost everyone I know is staring at real financial trouble. Maybe they should forcibly isolate people considered vulnerable, focus the medical care and attention in those directions and everybody else just try to live normally catch it deal with it. Probably be even more devastating. Seems each path leads us to utter shite.

19 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I don't see how long this can go on economy wise. Almost everyone I know is staring at real financial trouble. Maybe they should forcibly isolate people considered vulnerable, focus the medical care and attention in those directions and everybody else just try to live normally catch it deal with it. Probably be even more devastating. Seems each path leads us to utter shite.

I've been trying my best to carry on as normal .I teach people to drive but that is about to grind to a halt. DVSA have stopped theory tests for 4 weeks at least, driving test centres have closed yesterday and today (cancelling driving tests at short notice) with advice that subsequent test's are under review. If driving tests continue, I am effectively forced to continue. If they stop, I stop. 

Like you say, hard to know how long it can be sustained but money is made up. Human lives are most definitely not.

Typically ambiguous list from the government. Only 1 parents needs to be a key worker.  Schools are not shutting. Staff will still be in, putting themselves and their families at risk. 

The key points of "if a child can at all be home they should" will be ignored. 

I get it. If you don't get paid to be off work it's a terrible decision to make.  Doesn't make me not being able to see my nans or parents any easier. 

2 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I was told it's not airborne but I suspected it is. If that's right, it is and that's pretty terrifying. 

Look I am no expert, just repeating what experts have said. So far they're saying it is droplets. 

The main difference between airborne and droplet transmission is in the size of infected/contageous particles. particle, less than 10 micrometers, is airborne particles and more is for droplet transmission.

Air borne transmission occurs when bacteria or virus especially travel on dust particles or small respiratory droplets that may be aerosolized when infected people cough or sneeze, cough,laugh, or exhale.particles like invisible smoke to considerable distance.

There's no need of closeness or contact. Diseases like chicken pox, smallpox,mumps,TB, rubella,or flu can spread through air borne transmission.

Droplet transmission occurs when one coughs,sneeze, contagious droplets from infected person can travel in air and contact another person's conjuctiva,mouth or nasal mucous.

Size of particles and distance between the infected and affected person is the main differences between airborne and droplet transmission.

Yet another example of someone using the situation for financial gain....

The nursery we send our youngest to (and sent the eldest to so we've been going there for six years non stop) said they still want full fees paying - I don't have a problem with that, but one of the staff let on that they're being put on statutory sick pay. So basically the nursery owners are pocketing the difference as far as we can see. The missus is ringing today to ask why. I'm willing to keep payments going as normal.as long as the staff are getting paid as normal. This isn't the first time the owners have done something financially dubious. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, cloggypop said:

When Lennon wrote Imagine he was living in the Dakota, buying up apartments, and had an air conditioned room especially for his fur coats. 

I think you'll find he was slumming it in his English country estate in Ascot when he wrote Imagine. 

Imagine all the peasants, leaving us in peace.

35 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Me and my wife both work in aviation. She lost her job yesterday and I’m just waiting for the call to say I’m been put on indefinite unpaid leave. Scary at the best of times. Terrifying when we’ve got a 2 and a 1 year old also. 

Sorry to hear that, Johnny. I hope you can both find something else quickly. What’s the situation regarding government help and suspension of mortgage payments in Ireland?

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I've been trying my best to carry on as normal .I teach people to drive but that is about to grind to a halt. DVSA have stopped theory tests for 4 weeks at least, driving test centres have closed yesterday and today (cancelling driving tests at short notice) with advice that subsequent test's are under review. If driving tests continue, I am effectively forced to continue. If they stop, I stop. 

Like you say, hard to know how long it can be sustained but money is made up. Human lives are most definitely not.

I’ve watched some of your videos on the internet.  

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain said on Friday its scramble to produce thousands of ventilators to fight the coronavirus outbreak was achieving results as top companies have already produced a prototype and it should be ready for use in hospitals by the end of next week. 

“More than half a dozen companies have already made one in prototype, to check with us that we are happy with the quality ,” Hancock told BBC TV. 

“It’s unbelievable. In a matter of days some of these top engineering companies have already turned their hand to this effort and already got their prototypes out. 

“We need as many as you can possibly make and we will buy them because if we end up with too many for the NHS (National Health Service) that is a great problem to have and there’s other countries round the world that needs ventilators. No number is too big.” 

Got to think that all the millionaires in the Gal Gadot video would have been better donating some money to any vulnerable cause than patronisingly singing some song from the comforts of their self isolated mansions with pools, gyms, cinema rooms etc etc etc. 

Imagine (no pun intended) being vulnerable and watching it “We have no food / can’t go out / are high risk / etc etc etc, but it’s Ok, Wonder Woman is singing John Lennon, I feel a lot better about the hard times ahead now”.

I’m sure it was well meaning but ultimately, what’s the fucking point in it?

• Upvote 1