You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I think London will be on lockdown soon regardless of what they’re leaking to the press. I’m probably giving them a level of competence they don’t deserve, but I’d hope this is the reason they are trying not to telegraph it. 

If it leaks London will be locked down before they actually do it then everyone will fuck off from there spreading it more widely. 

85756ACE-0A7A-4C2F-BD6F-FD9EAB77CD5F.png

It's too late now.

Italy are at 3.4k deaths and their expected peak is not for another month in mid April.

14 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

It's too late now.

Italy are at 3.4k deaths and their expected peak is not for another month in mid April.

It’s a lot later than they should have done it but it’s not too late to do it. If they do nothing then the death rates will be exponentially worse than if they lock it down in the next week. It needs locking down ASAP and then we need to prepare for a horrific couple of months, at least. 

37 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Sky News have been given access to hospitals in northern Italy, which they've just shown.

Jesus fucking Christ.  I've seen some fucked up shit in my life and I was horrified from the footage. It's total fucking carnage over there.

Every single doctor interviewed, their message to the UK is lock your shit down now.

Their hospitals in the north are one of the finest in the whole of Europe.

Imagine the carnage in our run down underfunded hospitals if Italy's scale of the pandemic hits us?

We'd be totally fucked.

That Sky report looks pretty horrific, but it is Bergamo, a town of 120,000 people that had about 20% to 25% of all deaths in Lombardy (over 500), which is a region of 10 million people. They had about 100 deaths only yesterday. It's more like ground zero of the epidemic than "a town in northern Italy". Italy does a lot of testing now, but 1 in 3 or 4 of all tests are positives, they mostly only test people who were in contact and have some symptoms, this is why I think the actual number of infected is much, much higher which skews the death rate (neighbouring Slovenia tests even more and they have 1 positive in about 30 tested). Bergamo probably has tens of thousands of infected, despite all protection, almost a fifth of GPs were infected. Hopefully, they will avoid all this on a nation-wide level.  

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

That Sky report looks pretty horrific, but it is Bergamo, a town of 120,000 people that had about 20% to 25% of all deaths in Lombardy (over 500), which is a region of 10 million people. They had about 100 deaths only yesterday. It's more like ground zero of the epidemic than "a town in northern Italy". Italy does a lot of testing now, but 1 in 3 or 4 of all tests are positives, they mostly only test people who were in contact and have some symptoms, this is why I think the actual number of infected is much, much higher which skews the death rate (neighbouring Slovenia tests even more and they have 1 positive in about 30 tested). Bergamo probably has tens of thousands of infected, despite all protection, almost a fifth of GPs were infected. Hopefully, they will avoid all this on a nation-wide level.  

Italy's mortality rate, the low rate of infection on the Diamond Princess and the apparent success of the lockdown in Wuhan when it looked like China was going to be devastated are truly bizarre. On a purely scientific level, I'd love to know what the fuck's going on.

Just now, Mudface said:

Italy's mortality rate, the low rate of infection on the Diamond Princess and the apparent success of the lockdown in Wuhan when it looked like China was going to be devastated are truly bizarre. On a purely scientific level, I'd love to know what the fuck's going on.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Mudface said:

My hypothesis is that it has to do with the difference between actual and registered number of infections, China is keeping 16 million people quarantined in the hotspot for 2 months, Italians have also infected twice as many health workers as China, close to 3,000, which probably spread the infection disproportionally among the most vulnerable population. I am pretty certain that almost half of Bergamo was exposed to infection by now, s this should be peak.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alan Sex said:

Nope. Just out every day driving a mobile enclosed space with random people aboard!

I can imagine it will spread like wildfire in your dogging wagon. Just put the bloody thing away for a few months 

4 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Italy has took a hammering, it's weird. I guess it's the (bad) luck of the draw.

They don't all look particularly old in that Sky report either. 

That’s the Mediterranean diet that. Really feel for them. Amazing country. 

3 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Branson is a twat and I should've considered that before I signed up to Virgin mobile, but they've just give me unlimited calls and an extra 10gb of data on top of my usual allowance as they recognise that it's important to stay in touch with people and have sufficient data for streaming if self isolating. I presume they've done this for all customers. 

Yeah when everyone is home with wifi anyway. 

And people are still going out, and will continue to do so without the order to close pubs of which I don't understand why it hasn't, after the shutting down schools and nurseries. 

I know a wretched individual, you would agree if you seen the kip of him, who is managing my local and he said he will keep it open until he's told not to as its the money he says, his rooms upstairs are empty as no contractors left now and he's only getting half a dozen at the bar, so it is down to the individual to stay away then maybe he will be forced to shut like some shops have, taking the temptation away to go in before the order to do so is given, which is a bit fuckin' late coming.