You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Bitcoin is on the way back up so everything must be sound again in China. 

I’m on the list of those who should isolate for 12 weeks from this weekend. How is that possible? Do I lock myself in a room for three months, only speak to my missus and kids through a door and disinfect everything in the bathroom every time I go in? It’s just not feasible.

I am going to brave Sainsbury’s one more time today to see if there’s anything left while wearing gloves and keeping my distance from people and then we’re gonna do the whole isolation thing as a family for a fortnight. I know I’m fortunate to even be in a position to do that. We’ve got some supplies, managed to grab a Tesco slot for Sunday and another for the 31st so we can hopefully get fresh fruit and veg but I haven’t been able to find any of the food my dog eats anywhere. If we change it up or feed him any of our dinners he gets the shits something rotten. 

We use that Hypoallergenic food for our dog as she was the same. It basically covers most eating allergies dogs get. Rather pricey, but she's been fine ever since we started using it. Lots of different brands make their own version with different meat ingredients. 

2 hours ago, easytoslip said:

There was an article about 20 years ago from a reporter visiting a market in China somewhere, he told of the various animals on offer for consumption which was gross, pretty much anything that moved, plus what I've been told by people who have visited the place. 

Its common knowledge that their eating habits leave a lot to be desired, this is true throughout the far East, a mate of mine who lives in Thailand said he was eating Ducks beaks for fuck sake, there is no need to eat certain things, it's gross and unethical, unless you might be in survival mode. 

FB, I agree. 

It's not so much what they eat, it's the complete lack of health and hygiene policy over there. 

The doctor on the joe rogan show also said they were stacking animals on top of each other in cages, different species and then they shit down on each other and all kind of sickness can develop that would never happen in normal circumstances, then someone eats that infected animal. 

1 minute ago, Funkasy said:

The doctor on the joe rogan show also said they were stacking animals on top of each other in cages, different species and then they shit down on each other and all kind of sickness can develop that would never happen in normal circumstances, then someone eats that infected animal. 

i know its easy at thw minute to bash to chinese, but arent they in general, scruffy bastards?

Apparently shitting on the streets is as common as littering over there. 

A good friend of my brothers lives in Hng Kong, but since he's been livng over there he's been to mainland China quite often. He was saying the level of filth, and i dont mean litter, but filth, in mainland china is mind blowing. 

No wonder all these crazy things come over there. Then add in the fact they're basically living within spitting distance of each other, then anything is going to spread to like wildfire.

Actually thats why the tend to wear the surgical masks. its not so much to stop getting sick, but more so if you are sick, so that you dont spread it. 

1 hour ago, redheart said:

I have not been at work for almost two weeks. 

In the middle of last week I developed a persistent cough, high temperature and fatigue. I have no way of knowing if this is Convid-19 or a typical virus which floats around at this time of year. For those for whom Convid-19 is rather mild will notice no difference than a normal virus and testing is not available. 

But my University stated that I must work from home.

I suspect a lot of people will be in my position and will have no idea whether they have had it and whether they now have immunity.

Still it was probably my own fault for licking that bat!

Presumably you haven't informed anyone that would add you to the stats either?

Both the statistics for the number of people infected, and the percentages for those who become seriously ill or die, are largely unknown because so many people will just feel like shit for a week or two, stay home, and then continue with their life.

From Guardian :

The European Union’s industry chief has called on Netflix and other streaming services to take action to reduce congestion on the internet, amid surging demand as millions of people confined to their homes go online.

Thierry Breton, the European commissioner for industry, told Netflix chief executive Reed Hastings that he and other operators should take responsibility for preventing internet congestion by switching to standard definition rather than high definition.

Standard definition.

STANDARD FUCKING DEFINITION. Get that horrible, evil bastard sacked. Get him out of there! The EU has doomed itself to oblivion for all eternity. Evil fucking fascist, fuzzy and blurry shitty standard definition worshipping scum.

END THE EU.

1 minute ago, Carradona said:

First death in Northern Ireland announced.

There are only 88 ICU beds there, it will get grim pretty quickly.

Is it fuck the first death either.   My grandad passed away last week, 91, from pneumonia.    No test. 

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I fucked a unicorn that had bad shithouse aids and then wiped my dick on Chairman Mao’s curtains.

Its as realistic as any the shite posted on Facebook.

Your made up fairy tales aren't more realistic than basic health and hygiene codes. 

Slightly more plausible than the Chinese blaming America for it though. 

1 hour ago, redheart said:

I have not been at work for almost two weeks. 

In the middle of last week I developed a persistent cough, high temperature and fatigue. I have no way of knowing if this is Convid-19 or a typical virus which floats around at this time of year. For those for whom Convid-19 is rather mild will notice no difference than a normal virus and testing is not available. 

But my University stated that I must work from home.

I suspect a lot of people will be in my position and will have no idea whether they have had it and whether they now have immunity.

Still it was probably my own fault for licking that bat!

This is the madness of it all. You should be immune though to give you some positive news.

22 minutes ago, Herp McDerp said:

Australia added to the list of countries thats shutting its borders. Yes, yes, keeps all the cunts in one place etc.

This is going to cause job losses on an unprecedented scale over here, but if it stops us going down the Italian path than I suppose it'll have been worth it.

Yeah saw that earlier this morning.

I've been to Australia a few times and am amazed you've not closed your borders already given how close to Asia you are.

53 minutes ago, Grinch said:

It's not so much what they eat, it's the complete lack of health and hygiene policy over there. 

Well yes, but surely there is no need to eat certain animals, that woman who done a documentary a few years ago, she was trying to save the endangered Pangolin and filmed them for sale to eat among other species in some market, for me that's gross, saying that I've probably sampled something similar in a takeaway. 

Their hygiene is questionable over here, that buffet on Hanover St for one a few years ago. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/19/uk-must-spend-extra-22bn-to-help-workers-facing-lay-offs-urges-thinktank

UK 'must spend extra £22bn' to help workers facing layoffs, urges thinktank

Resolution Foundation proposes new subsidy modelled on maternity pay with warning 5m staff at risk of redundancy

Phillip InmanThu 19 Mar 2020 11.01 GMT

The government should commit a further £22bn to support up to 1 million workers facing layoffs and families that suffer big income shocks following the coronavirus outbreak, a thinktank has urged.

As pressure mounts on the government to restore business and consumer confidence, the Resolution Foundation said a new work subsidy modelled on maternity pay should be available for workers threatened with redundancy.

The new statutory retention pay would allow firms to put staff on leave without making them redundant, supporting a million workers via a flat-rate subsidy to employers worth £151 per week for an initial six months.

The scheme would cost around £3.6bn, the thinktank said, while a more ambitious earnings-linked scheme, in which staff are paid at least two-thirds of their typical salary – above the minimum £151 per week threshold – would cost around £8bn.

The chancellor, Rishi Sunak, announced an expansion of statutory sick pay in the budget on 11 March and a relaxation of benefit rules designed to help vulnerable workers. He has not ruled out adopting a broader package of income support but has said the mechanisms used by other European countries do not exist in the UK.

A £350bn package announced on Tuesday offered businesses in the hard-hit retail, leisure and hospitality sectors a year-long holiday from paying business rates, with smaller firms also eligible for a cash grant of up to £25,000.

Sunak also announced cash grants of £10,000 for the UK’s 700,000 smallest companies and a three-month moratorium on mortgage payments for homeowners in difficulty due to the coronavirus.

With the scale of the coronavirus pandemic – and the public health response to it – having escalated since the budget last week, the foundation said the chancellor must “step up the scale of support for affected workers and rethink the approach to helping struggling firms”.

The thinktank’s report says around 5 million workers are vulnerable to being laid off unless the government goes further. Without giving a forecast for the likely rise in unemployment, the report estimates in its modelling of the potential costs that between 500,000 and 1 million workers could be laid off.

It says fewer than one in 10 of those in the bottom half of earners say they can work from home, and those in the most at-risk sectors and occupations also have less to fall back on given that they are around 25% more likely than average to live in families with no savings.

The report says a fresh approach is needed, including the extension of sick pay to 2 million low earners currently excluded and an increase in unemployment benefits and universal credit to £100 per week. It says a rise in unemployment is inevitable as some firms go bust and the self-employed lose work.

“To strengthen the safety net that many families will rely on in the months ahead, the government should increase the generosity of jobseeker’s allowance, employment support allowance and the standard rate of universal credit. From April these benefits will pay just £74 a week to a single adult – and just £59 to those under 25) – when losing their jobs,” the report says.

“This is the same as they were paying in the early 1990s, despite the economy growing by more than half since then. Increasing their value by around a third to £100 per week (for an adult aged 25 and over) would cost around £10bn a year. Going further to up-rate other means-tested working-age benefits by 10% would cost a further £3bn.”

The former prime minister and chancellor Gordon Brown urged Sunak to do “considerably more” by the weekend to protect people’s jobs.

Speaking on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, he said: “He says he’ll do more but the package should be out now to avoid redundancies being forced upon companies over the next day or two.

“I think a lot of company directors will be looking at the moment to how many staff they are going to shed in the next few days, next few weeks. And I think we need to step in now with building the confidence that we can keep people in work or keep people on short term in work and have an arrangement with people where they take some holidays but at the same time they are going to have income protection.

“If families don’t have income protection, there’s lot of other consequences: people try to work if they are sick, people put themselves at risk.”

Torsten Bell, the chief executive of the Resolution Foundation, said: “The chancellor has said that he will do whatever it takes to support the country through the coronavirus-induced economic shock. That commitment now needs to be extended to the millions of workers and their families whose livelihoods and living standards are affected by the shutdown.

“In order to avoid mass redundancies in affected sectors, new statutory retention pay would allow firms to put workers on paid leave with the state paying them at least two thirds of their wages during the shutdown. This will ensure they can pick things up quickly when conditions improve.”

5 hours ago, Moctezuma said:

Paracetamol over Ibuprofen if you can folks, the latter has been linked to exacerbating symptoms

All NSAIDs are not good for viruses and respiratory issues I believe. I think the only evidence so far with coronavirus has been in France and it's very anecdotal , but it fits expected behaviour. 

13 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

That’s shite, mate. Condolences. 

He had a good innings and wouldn't have wanted to keep living with the rapidly deteriorating quality of life.   I find death easy to accept in those circumstances. 

Was flabbergasted to hear there was no notion of a test. 

• Upvote 2