You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

10 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Shit myself just then. Blew my nose for the first time today and had loads of blood in with my bogies. 

Then, I remembered picking my nose last night (we all do it) and feeling a bit of a scratch while doing it. Double checked and it's only bloody from the one nostril. 

I thought I was a goner there, for a minute! 

Yeah, like it’s not from overdoing cocaine...

2 hours ago, davelfc said:

The BBC has suspended filming on EastEnders, Casualty and Holby City until further notice because of the coronavirus outbreak.

The number of new EastEnders episodes being shown each week is also being reduced to two.

Filming on all BBC Studios' continuing dramas has been halted following the latest government advice on tackling COVID-19, the corporation said.

Watching those moaning fuckers on EastEnders eat their Easter eggs at Christmas will be weird

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

In PMQs Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson mentioned that their may soon be a test available which can determine if you've previously had coronavirus. 

That could be very useful if the data/knowledge base on second infection is reliable. 

Vital really. Knowing exactly who we should be protecting and who deals with it better. Allowing those that have recovered to be able to go out with no fear while taking proper precautions to not infect those vulnerable that have not had it.

Imagine the stress relief for many if they test as having dealt with it. It's the uncertainty that is affecting many who currently are left guessing if they've had it because of the lack of testing.

Of course this only works as you say if this particular strain of corona virus acts like all of the previous ones and once we recover we have the immunity to it for a period of time. 

• Upvote 1

Had an email from the CEO at work this morning, all pretty normal stuff until they then started talking about staff sickness.

If you self isolate for 14 days you'll get SSP but it won't be recorded as sickness on you HR record.

If you test positie you have to self isolate for 14 days, you'll get SSP but it WILL be recorded as sickness.

Where's the fairness in that?

1 minute ago, lifetime fan said:

Had an email from the CEO at work this morning, all pretty normal stuff until the then started talking about staff sickness.

If you self isolate for 14 days you'll get SSP but it won't be recorded as sickness on you HR record.

If you test positie you have to self isolate for 14 days, you'll get SSP but it WILL be recorded as sickness.

Where's the fairness in that?

I'm sure that would be jibbed off if someone said that they've got it but are coming in as they can't afford (disciplinary wise) to have the absence on their sickness record. 

1 minute ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I'm sure that would be jibbed off if someone said that they've got it but are coming in as they can't afford (disciplinary wise) to have the absence on their sickness record. 

Mental isn't it.

If one of our service users has to go into isolation work have offered me £4k to support them for 14 days.

Would be a nice little earner that.

2 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Fucking hell. Look at the numbers for Spain. They could easily pass the Italians if that trajectory continues.

If look at our trajectory for deaths, todays number is going to be a good indicator as where we are heading as there wasn't a spike in the number from the previous day.

This site is good for stats:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

thanks , def the best site for stats that

That ship showed that only 13% of all people contracted the virus. Surely if you are contained on a cruise ship you would get the virus if you could. Maybe the numbers of those exposed, to those actually getting it are a lot less than we currently think?

The tests to see if people have had it will be vital. Hopefully they come up with a home testing kit soon, as the percentage of the population you can test through a lab is minute.

16 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

That ship showed that only 13% of all people contracted the virus. Surely if you are contained on a cruise ship you would get the virus if you could. Maybe the numbers of those exposed, to those actually getting it are a lot less than we currently think?

The tests to see if people have had it will be vital. Hopefully they come up with a home testing kit soon, as the percentage of the population you can test through a lab is minute.

If this is the same thing as I read the other day, weren't people quarantined to their quarters? So they weren't mingling, in fact quite the opposite, because they knew people had the disease, they distanced themselves? Could explain it imo. 

3 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

If this is the same thing as I read the other day, weren't people quarantined to their quarters? So they weren't mingling, in fact quite the opposite, because they knew people had the disease, they distanced themselves? Could explain it imo. 

Well yes, but all the air is recycled.

https://amp.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-australia-queensland-researchers-find-cure-want-drug-trial/news-story/93e7656da0cff4fc4d2c5e51706accb5?__twitter_impression=true

A team of Australian researchers say they’ve found a cure for the novel coronavirus and hope to have patients enrolled in a nationwide trial by the end of the month.

University of Queensland Centre for Clinical Research director Professor David Paterson told news.com.au today they have seen two drugs used to treat other conditions wipe out the virus in test tubes.

He said one of the medications, given to some of the first people to test positive for COVID-19 in Australia, had already resulted in “disappearance of the virus” and complete recovery from the infection.

Prof Paterson, who is also an infectious disease physician at the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital, said it wasn’t a stretch to label the drugs “a treatment or a cure”.

“It’s a potentially effective treatment,” he said.

“Patients would end up with no viable coronavirus in their system at all after the end of therapy.”

The drugs are both already registered and available in Australia.

“What we want to do at the moment is a large clinical trial across Australia, looking at 50 hospitals, and what we’re going to compare is one drug, versus another drug, versus the combination of the two drugs,” Prof Paterson said.

Given their history, researchers have a “long experience of them being very well tolerated” and there are no unexpected side effects.

“We’re not on a flat foot, we can sort of move ahead very rapidly with enrolling Australians in this trial,” Prof Paterson said.

“It’s the question we all have – we know it’s coming now, what is the best way to treat it?”

• Upvote 2