You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Nothing like a mortgage holiday to get the middle class masses onside.

As for renters like myself...

Housing Benefit or Housing Element of UC, it would not surprise me at all if there were emergency changes to the benefits system to make things quicker and easier. I’m expecting HB claims to be allowed to be made again via the LA to take some strain of DWP.

Devils advocate it’s probably about time. It’s a bit unfair that if you bought a house and fell on hard time’s you got no real help with the mortgage while if you rented you were ok.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, moof said:

Anybody heard from Starmer at all during this crisis? If he wants people to believe he can lead the country some day, wouldn’t it be a good idea to start here

Well he's not actually the leader of the opposition so it may come across as overstepping the mark. It could also come across as using this as a political weapon. Probably a time to keep powder dry for now.

In other virus spreading preventative measures news. Was it really fucking necessary for whichever agency it was to turn up tonight to read the fucking gas meter!!  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

In other virus spreading preventative measures news. Was it really fucking necessary for whichever agency it was to turn up tonight to read the fucking gas meter!!  

Went to the supermarket the other day and as I was leaving dropped something which a woman automatically picked up and handed back to me. Was tempted to tell her to keep it. Fucking weird all this isn’t it, makes you second guess things whether you like it or not.

6 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

LonelyElaborateIndianrockpython-size_res

Although I suspect its probably burglars seeing who is in/alone/vulnerable . No difference like. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Funkasy said:

Most petrol stations sell some sort of grocery, so they probably under the same banner. They also have a ton of automatic petrol stations. 

Closing the petrol stations is a very easy way of closing down the country.  Just open a few for the workers allowed to travel.  All these plans are already in place. 

11 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Fucking weird all this isn’t it, makes you second guess things whether you like it or not.

It most certainly is fucking weird. It's like each trivial everyday day action has the potential to have some sort of butterfly effect. 

TBH, I'm fucking sick of it all. It's impossible to do this 'social distancing' thing. I've been trying to come up with a plan to avoid contact with my dad but it's impossible.

1 minute ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

It most certainly is fucking weird. It's like each trivial everyday day action has the potential to have some sort of butterfly effect. 

TBH, I'm fucking sick of it all. It's impossible to do this 'social distancing' thing. I've been trying to come up with a plan to avoid contact with my dad but it's impossible.

The butterfly effect thing is spot on. You're even sceptical when handing money over to someone in a shop. 

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain’s government set out emergency legislation on Tuesday to tackle a growing coronavirus outbreak, with measures including giving powers to police and immigration officers to detain people and put them in isolation to protect public health. 

“The new measures we will be introducing in the Emergency Coronavirus Bill this week will only be used when it is absolutely necessary and must be timed to maximise their effectiveness,” health minister Matt Hancock said in a statement. 

The legislation, which also includes measures to allow recently retired National Health Service staff and social workers to return to work, will be brought before parliament on Thursday.

11 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The butterfly effect thing is spot on. You're even sceptical when handing money over to someone in a shop. 

I was given some change earlier and considered lashing it in the bin. Got no fucking idea how long the virus can remain on the various different surfaces/materials/etc.

1 minute ago, davelfc said:

And still they do nothing to stop the supermarkets from being ransacked, it's crazy. 

Aldi have a policy of 'only 4 of a particular item'. So you'll still get dick heads buying 4 packs of 16 toilet rolls.