You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

13 minutes ago, Philtrum said:

Ha, I don't use social media mate. You are in massive denial and it's going to hit you like a train. Most of us are taking it in and dealing with it. Planning for the worst and hoping for the best.

It's pointless discussing it with you because you're way way over there at the moment. 

Sorry to break it to you but this is social media, Phil. 

And I for one am very glad to have you posting on here

Guest Pistonbroke
9 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Ok ill just join the queue of you screaming whims. 

If you want to take things lightly then crack on, nobody is saying you have to take the same precautionary measures as others. We are picking you up on the crap you are talking despite the World results showing otherwise. I'm hardly being a screaming whim about this myself, already been out twice to brave the elements today and just about to go for a 90 minute walk. It's not going to do me any harm to be cautious and follow guidelines though, so as not to put myself at risk or more importantly others. 

Just now, Champ said:

Sorry to break it to you but this is social media, Phil. 

And I for one am very glad to have you posting on here

Sorry I mean faceaids, twatter and all that 'look at me' stuff, which I imagine was his point. I'd be on the back of someone going over the top (we all would be) as much as I am over people in absolute denial. I fear for him if it gets worse. We all hope it doesn't of course.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dave D said:

These two chaps flanking Boris each time- it brought to mind the age old Illuminati theorists.

"They aren't medical people at all, they just run the world" 

The guy on our left in those briefings just looks like 'old Stewie' from family guy. 

maxresdefault.jpg

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

I posted that yesterday. It's pure Naked Gun. 

I hope when he reached for the toilet paper the holder was empty....panic. 

Guest Pistonbroke
7 minutes ago, davelfc said:

Sorry I mean faceaids, twatter and all that 'look at me' stuff, which I imagine was his point. I'd be on the back of someone going over the top (we all would be) as much as I am over people in absolute denial. I fear for him if it gets worse. We all hope it doesn't of course.

Is it Phil or Dave mate? I can't keep up with all these name changes. 

11 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

What researchers say: COVID-19 originated in China

The consensus among researchers studying the spread of the virus pinpoints COVID-19’s likely origin to a “wet market,” or live animal market, in Wuhan, China. Though experts have not ruled out the possibility that the pathogen could have been brought to the market by an already infected person, there is no evidence to suggest COVID-19 originated outside the country.

The origin theory for the virus is supplemented by preliminary research into the disease’s genome, as well as the origins of similar diseases. Researchers at the Shanghai Public Health Clinical Centre published the genome of COVID-19 two weeks after cases were reported in late December 2019. Gene sequencing analysis strongly suggests the virus originated in bats and was transferred to humans through a yet-unidentified intermediary species. In early February, Chinese researchers published work suggesting the intermediary species may have been the pangolin (also called a scaly anteater), though this work has not yet undergone a peer-reviewed study.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/03/16/coronavirus-fact-check-where-did-covid-19-start-experts-say-china/5053783002/

I read that a few weeks, well not that actual report, about the connection with insectivores namely the Pangolin and posted it here, it seen as a delicacy over there apparently, an endangered species of which they don't give a fuck about. 

Whether true or not, we'll soon find out though as you well know the eating habits of some countries are pretty much disgusting and needless. 

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who told people to avoid pubs, clubs, restaurants, cinemas and theatres on Monday, was expected to address the nation alongside finance minister Rishi Sunak later on Tuesday. 

Sunak last week announced help for business, including some tax suspensions for smaller firms, alongside emergency moves by the Bank of England. 

But the virtual shutdown of swathes of the economy since then has forced the government - like many other countries around the world - to come up with a new plan. 

Britain’s independent budget office drew comparisons with World War Two. 

“Now is not a time to be squeamish about public sector debt,” Robert Chote, head of the Office for Budget Responsibility, told lawmakers. 

“In some ways it’s like a wartime situation,” Chote said. “We ran during the Second World War budget deficits in excess of 20% of GDP five years on the trot and that was the right thing to do.” 

OBR member Charlie Bean said there was a “very good argument” for the government to act as insurer against coronavirus losses and any attempt to forecast what would happen to the economy in the next year or two was “pie in the sky”. 

But Bean also said the economic damage from coronavirus should prove to be less than the hit caused by the global financial crisis a decade ago. 

In his first budget statement to parliament last week, Sunak promised 30 billion pounds of measures to support public healthcare, affected businesses and provide broader economic stimulus in the face of the coronavirus. 

On Monday, French President Emmanuel Macron said his government would guarantee 300 billion euros worth of loans, and promised that no French company would be allowed to collapse. 

Adam Marshall, director general of the British Chambers of Commerce, called for more government action. 

“Government has got to do more on the upfront costs facing businesses,” he told the BBC. 

Suspension of tax bills would be the most useful immediate step, he said.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-britain-business-s/uk-to-unveil-business-rescue-package-as-coronavirus-hammers-economy-idUKKBN2140V2

Personally I'd be prioritising people that are isolating/sick and those who have lost their jobs first. 

Following from Prime Minister Boris Johnson's briefing, a full list of those classed as more at risk has been issued.

This group includes those who are:

aged 70 or older (regardless of medical conditions)

under 70 with an underlying health condition listed below (ie anyone instructed to get a flu jab as an adult each year on medical grounds):

chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis

chronic heart disease, such as heart failure

chronic kidney disease

chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis

chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), a learning disability or cerebral palsy

diabetes

problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed

a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy

being seriously overweight (a BMI of 40 or above)

those who are pregnant

There are some clinical conditions which put people at even higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19.

People falling into this group are those who may be at particular risk due to complex health problems such as:

People who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication

People with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy

People with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment

People with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)

People with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)

Public Health England write: "This guidance is for everyone. It advises on social distancing measures we should all be taking to reduce social interaction between people in order to reduce the transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19). 

"It is intended for use in situations where people are living in their own homes, with or without additional support from friends, family and carers."

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/coronavirus-most-risk-list-released-17936228

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Unbelievable. The World is on its knees and people are just readily accepting it. Incredible.

You all do realise don't you whats happening?

No schools

No work

No social interaction

Confined to your homes

Its the beginning of the breakdown of society and for what? The fucking flu.

Next up:

Curfews

Not being able to go outside

Loss of power and water?

Your guess is as good as mine, but everyone has fed into this panic, like a tornado picking up debris.

Do you have any links to an article by somebody respected in the field saying that this is all just scaremongering? 

I've yet to see anyone who works in medical/disease research who is saying anything other than this is a very serious situation, should I believe that every one of them all over the world is in on the conspiracy? 

LONDON (Reuters) - British foreign minister Dominic Raab advised British nationals on Tuesday to stop all non-essential travel globally for the next 30 days, the latest stringent measure taken by the government to try to stem a growing coronavirus outbreak. 

“With immediate effect, I have taken the decision to advise British nationals against non-essential travel globally, for an initial period of 30 days and of course subject to ongoing review,” Raab told parliament.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-britain-travel/britons-should-stop-all-non-essential-travel-globally-foreign-minister-idUKKBN21423Q?il=0

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/travel-advice-foreign-secreatary-statement-17-march-2020