You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Red Phoenix said:

We could have closed the country a lot earlier agreed. It would've caused some disruption and pissed a lot of people off, but it would've been a lot better than what's about to happen. I wouldn't pretend to know how we'd have opened the country again and when either. Our gov would've been best working with orgs like the World Health Organisation and officials from other countries to solve that problem.

Just to point out, the head of the WHO didnt want to call this what it was, a pandemic, when it was staring him in the face for 4 weeks. And even them, he decided to play semantics with the word.

2 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

We could have closed the country a lot earlier agreed. It would've caused some disruption and pissed a lot of people off, but it would've been a lot better than what's about to happen. I wouldn't pretend to know how we'd have opened the country again and when either. Our gov would've been best working with orgs like the World Health Organisation and officials from other countries to solve that problem.

Closing the borders wouldn’t have been enough. We’d have had to lock down for months. Then it would have bloomed the minute people were allowed back out. So all you’d do is postpone it. For ever? 

6 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Funny how the "Austerity kills millions!" crowd think the country can take a 30-40% hit to GDP without consequence, isn't it.

Being one of the only countries on the planet with such a stupid approach to a global pandemic isn't too good for GDP either I don't think.

8 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Just to point out, the head of the WHO didnt want to call this what it was, a pandemic, when it was staring him in the face for 4 weeks. And even them, he decided to play semantics with the word.

I know, they fucked that up agreed. They still had experience from other countries that would've helped us deal with this better though.

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Closing the borders wouldn’t have been enough. We’d have had to lock down for months. Then it would have bloomed the minute people were allowed back out. So all you’d do is postpone it. For ever? 

Try and hold it back until a vaccine. It'd be constant disruption on some level, but that's what we're going to get anyway now by the looks of it. With a lot more death and chaos early on than we would've had by trying to contain from the off.

5 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Being one of the only countries on the planet with such a stupid approach to a global pandemic isn't too good for GDP either I don't think.

Just neg him then fuck him off. Trolling for the sake of it. 

Just now, Red Phoenix said:

I know, they fucked that up as well by the looks of it. They still had experience from other countries that would've helped us deal with this better though.

Try and hold it back until a vaccine. It'd be constant disruption on some level, but that's what we're going to get anyway now by the looks of it. With a lot more death and chaos early on than we would've had by trying to contain from the off.

So shut the country for an indefinite time? That’s your solution?  

The authors of the model now say they realised "in the last few days" that the strategy they had recommended would result in around "250,000 deaths" in the UK (page 16, link here: imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial )

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Just neg him then fuck him off. Trolling for the sake of it. 

Haha yeah it took a while to realise as I'm tired.

Just now, Rico1304 said:

So shut the country for an indefinite time? That’s your solution?  

The country wouldn't be shutdown constantly I don't think but we don't know how the aftermath of this works properly because it'll take time to see how countries like China and South Korea recover from it. Disruption on some level would be indefinite until there's a vaccine but that doesn't mean "shut the country". The alternative is to let a virus rip through the population and that's insane.

2 minutes ago, Liverpool lad said:

I need this summed up

We are all going to die but it’s going to happen quicker because of the tories and SD had a degree and knows more than all of the worlds scientists and we are all going to be embarrassed. In October Berlin won’t know what’s fucking hit it. The world is on lockdown. 

Oh and Mooks got the trots. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

We are all going to die but it’s going to happen quicker because of the tories and SD had a degree and knows more than all of the worlds scientists and we are all going to be embarrassed. In October Berlin won’t know what’s fucking hit it. The world is on lockdown. 

Oh and Mooks got the trots. 

Haha. 

Excellent summary!