You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

13 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Aren't they accusing america of inventing it in some lab then setting it free in Wuhan? Wouldn't surprise me if they had a vaccine and it will miraculously come to light in the next month or so and they will charge through the fucking roof for it. Trump is all about making money. I hope he dies when a rotor blade from his helicopter scalps him. Or gets hit by a stray golf-ball. Or shot. The fucking bastard. 

I'm not sure about that, but the selfish orange cunt did try and buy Germany off on a vaccine.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-administration-tried-to-pay-germans-scientists-for-coronavirus-cure-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

Are we assuming that the scientists who devised this policy are Tories, or that the Tories have over-ruled them.  If it’s the latter then where are the dissenting voices?  

we’ll only know if it’s the right policy in a few months.  

This government, rather like trump's, if you are a dessenting voice, you'll be fired and they'll bring someone else in who will jump to their tune. O assume at times like that with lives at risk, smart and senior people would likely prefer to be inside the tent pissing out than outside the rent pissing in. At least inside they can try to influence. The rest of the world is pretty much looking at us and telling us we're doing it wrong. 

50 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I get what he's saying, and the point about the cruise ship was very interesting, but surely the massive lock down in Hubei is mostly responsible for the slowdown?

I think the cruise ship is a bit of a distraction. Everyone was locked in their rooms. Ok, so there's central heating. But nobody was mixing. Yet it still managed to spread. I would feel certain the rate has decreased in China more to do with the distancing, isolating and testing than just it got to the natural end and the numbers always said that. 

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

Are we assuming that the scientists who devised this policy are Tories, or that the Tories have over-ruled them.  If it’s the latter then where are the dissenting voices?  

we’ll only know if it’s the right policy in a few months.  

Have they released the scientific data/rationale yet? As far as I know there's plenty of dissenting voices who are outside the tent on this, one of the main complaints being that they can't help without access to the science behind the strategy. 

If you're taking about government appointed scientists and medical officers it's obvious they also consider the politics of the situation, they always have, why would now be any different? 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

With regard to the elderly and vulnerable having to self-isolate for 12 weeks, does this include people under 70 who have type 2 diabetes?

• Vulnerable groups should self-isolate for 12 weeks from this weekend even if they have no symptoms
  • This includes people aged 70 and over and other adults who would normally be advised to have the flu vaccination, including people with chronic diseases such as chronic heart disease or chronic kidney disease, and pregnant women 

I have a mate who isn't 70 but he and his wife have either diabetes or high blood pressure and they're close to 70;. They are self isolating for 12 weeks. 

50 minutes ago, SasaS said:

It was for the rest of China, but they have been locked down for almost 2 months now, and if the numbers are true, the infection stopped spreading within the province as well, similarly to the cruiser.

Need the mathematical gurus on the site to explain but think he was able to predict the slow down because there was no way the spread could keep growing exponentially. For that to happen every person infected had to keep infecting the same amount of virgin uninfected people every day. That physically could not happen  regardless of the lockdown. So that's were his quote of if the model could follow the exponential growth pattern everyone in the world would have been infected within 90 days.  Bit long winded but that's my take.

51 minutes ago, SasaS said:

It was for the rest of China, but they have been locked down for almost 2 months now, and if the numbers are true, the infection stopped spreading within the province as well, similarly to the cruiser.

Yeah the data for the cruise ship the most interesting of all. 

6 minutes ago, Philtrum said:

I was ging to say Macron comes across more statesman than Johnson and that's with a translator. But then the bar isn't that high . 

Strontium Dog comes across better than any of them Tory shitpipes