You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

38 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Watched Marr on catch up last night. Why aren't countries following the Korea model?

I think because supposedly our scientific advice is restricting the infection rate like this is a bad thing. While they won't use these words, our government policy is "we want this to spread". Basically right now I genuinely think our government doesn't think it's spread enough yet which is why we're not locking down more. And of course the south Koreans are testing like mad. You need test kits for that. 

16 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Fucks sake. Missus just came back from Tescos.

They've started rationing rice.

She was only allowed to buy 2 packets of microwave rice.

Look at the state of some of these prices:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?i=aps&k=microwave rice&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_19&url=search-alias%3Daps

Madness.

Of all the things we were short of on the shelves this weekend, one thing there didn't seem to be a shortage of was microwave rice! You couldn't get your hands on regular rice, but that uncle Ben crap was everywhere. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

They will do fuck all.

Just logged into my Tesco online account and the earliest I can get a home delivery is on 26th.

sUikeH1.png

Those slots available will be gone by the end of today guaranteed. This is the case for a supermarkets for online deliveries.

Christ, these should be saved for the elderly and vulnerable groups as it is. It will get phased in eventually, or at least you hope it will. Over here in Bielefeld local Government have teamed up with the supermarkets to stop people hamster shopping. Car parks were still full when I drove past them at 8.45 this morning. 

Supposed to stay in doors apart from essentials, going out with dogs etc. There's large groups of kids playing everywhere in our residential area. I'm guessing that will be knocked on the head later as they are patrolling areas now to stop this happening. 

15 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

From what I have heard, the schools are all prepared to finish on Friday. Certainly in this region the teachers have been told to prepare work for the kids to do over the following 2 weeks, so they'll tie it into the Easter hols and get 4 weeks off.

There's a wider issue with this for me. We have to ask why they don't want to test NHS staff. What are they gaining? I understand (while I may not agree with it) the idea of if I get a cough, I stay at home and even if I have I coronavirus, it hopefully passes and I recover without needing contact with others -personally I think they should test people as they are in places like south Korea, but I'm prepared to give the benefit of doubt to a different scientific approach.

However, we're told by the government part of the reason we have this policy is because the NHS is stretched as we're not quite out of the flu season. So if NHS resource is stretched, why would you want to send an NHS worker home for a week with a regular seasonal cough? Then when they return, as you don't know if they've had coronavirus or not, if they get another cough, you send them home again? It's insane. And the only conclusion I can make is we don't have enough testing kits and they don't want to admit it. 

Good to read that about schools, thanks. And not sure what they're doing with NHS staff, it could be the testing kits issue though like you said.

And if NHS workers start having symptoms then they self isolate they could've already been spreading the virus around before the symptoms showed, so surely that's a key reason for them to require tests.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

It’s a fucking jungle out there. I just braved Tesco myself. It’s a superstore and the queues for the checkouts are backing right up into the aisles. It’s madness. 

People go mental for xmas, ONE fucking day! It must be chaos out there, as I'm self isolating I've not been out so have yet to enjoy it all. 

24 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

It’s a fucking jungle out there. I just braved Tesco myself. It’s a superstore and the queues for the checkouts are backing right up into the aisles. It’s madness. 

People have heard about the half price Easter eggs.

• Upvote 1

Hungary is shutting down although we’re still at an early stage

Shops except food and pharmacies to close

All public events shut down along with cinemas and “cultural institutions”

Restaurants to close at 3pm 

Over 70’s asked to stay at home & local govt instructed to assist those without local families who can help

Borders shut down to non-Hungarians

Orban expects this to continue for months rather than weeks

In better news, a fake news YouTube has been arrested and is likely to spend a number of months getting the shit kicked out of him in jail

8 minutes ago, SasaS said:

It's hard to take Dr. Sarah seriously with that glass of G&T in her hand.

When I was juts a nipper my nan would take me with her to the Dr. An old scot they were old friends and he would pour a nip of whiskey for each of them and they'd have a ciggy. then he would put all of her meds on a script with my name on them so she didn't have to pay. I was very young, but I dread to think what anyone looking at my medical record now would think of my apparent childhood ailments. 

• Upvote 3

Faced with an overstretched healthcare system and a coronavirus epidemic that is spreading at one of the fastest rates in the world, the Spanish government has announced sweeping measures that allow it to take over private health care providers and requisition materials such as masks and Covid-19 tests.

Chinese media links coronavirus to US military lab

913c0b7e-a60e-4b08-9490-2398a4c3cdfb.png

BBC Monitoring

The world through its media

The state-run Global Times has reported about a petition on the White House website urging the US government to release more information on the suspension of an infectious disease research lab under the Pentagon.

The Global Times noted that Chinese internet users and experts are calling for more information on whether The Fort Detrick laboratory was linked to the novel coronavirus, citing coincidental events between the lab’s closure and the outbreak of Covid-19.

It noted many English-language news reports about the closure of Fort Detrick were deleted recently, raising “suspicions over the lab's ‘relationship’ with the novel coronavirus”.

This is the latest in a series of remarks by Chinese diplomats and the state media fuelling a theory that the virus did not originate in China, but was only found there.

Last week, the official Xinhua news agency claimed that the epidemic was first reported in China but “that does not mean it necessarily originated in China”.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian has even tweeted that “it might be US army who brought the epidemic to Wuhan”.

Article share tools

https://innovationorigins.com/dutch-researchers-find-corona-virus-antibody/

A world premiere for Erasmus MC and Utrecht University. Researchers from the two universities have discovered an antibody against COVID-19. The scientific paper from the group of ten scientists is now ready for peer reviews from the leading professional journal Nature. The Rotterdam university journal – Erasmus Magazine – first reported the sensational news.

According to one of the people who identified it, the antibody that blocks the infection of SARS1 and SARS2 was already briefly lain in the fridge at the Erasmus MC in Rotterdam. Professor of Cell Biology Frank Grosveld (71) is part of a team of ten scientists. He posted the article about the discovery to BioRxiv last Thursday. BioRxiv is a website where biologists can publish their research before it has been peer-reviewed by a professional journal. The summary talks about an antibody against SARS2, the coronavirus that is causing the current pandemic (COVID-19). The antibody may help detect and prevent this form of Corona infection. This would, therefore, make the active antibody a world premiere.

Very first antibody

The antibody still has to be tested on human beings and this will take a few months. Yet Grosveld is hopeful, according to Erasmus Magazine: “We are now trying to get a pharmaceutical company on board – that’s looking good, by the way – which can mass-produce the antibody as a medicine on a large scale. This is the very first antibody that we know of that will block the infection. And there is a good chance that this will also become a medicine that reaches the market. If this is taken by a patient, then it is expected that the infection can be stopped in that patient. So, the patient will have a chance of recovery.”

In the article, Grosveld has responded critically to the Dutch approach to the Corona pandemic. “We have been too lax and were ill-prepared. For example, there were too few tests and too few restrictions from the outset, even though we saw what happened in China and then Italy.”

Read more on innovations in the fight against the coronavirus here.

• Like 1