You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Guest Alex_K
1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

Look at the replies to this. Unbelievable. This is why the country will be fucked, though their attitudes may change as they start dropping in great numbers. 

https://www.facebook.com/2026069010765268/posts/2892952780743549/?d=n

There may be some anecdotal-evidence of younger generations being affected by this to the point of requiring active hospitalisation rather than just quarantine - but where they are, it is extremely, almost-remotely rare. The impact of this illness is almost universally on older generations and it is disgusting to see the disregard shown as in that post. The measures being taken here are to protect them.

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Fair point. Hopefully, these people can still perform their hobbies to pass the time and use technology to keep up with their relatives, etc...

7 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Exactly what I’ve spent the morning trying to sensitively say to my Mum.

Except we have a lot of elderly people who have nobody and will have no means of shopping if they are confined, no access to technology such as computers or the internet, and nobody to check on them regularly. You are looking to neighbours to look in on them, but given how selfish people are here I worry that a large number of the elderly won’t get the assistance they need.

My folks don't believe it, and they've lived through some tough times. They are also in their seventies and probably feeling they don't have long left anyway, why would the elderly live in fear and spend what could be, their remaining days cut off from people indoors?

I'm on the fence with all of this. At first I thought, yeah it looks like another bird flu scenario and we should be cautious - but then celebrities started weighing in on social media like Tom Hanks and thats when I thought, somethings not right here.

And thats where I am at this moment. I'm not sure I believe in this situation. Theres an enormous amount of psychological damage you can do with fear and mass media. You can make people who have mild headaches believe they have brain tumours. You can advocate for war. You can win political elections and you can convince the world that we are all going to die through global warming.

I'm not saying that nothing is happening here - clearly something is going on. Agenda wise? My gut is telling me theres something other than what it seems, happening.

Whatever that is i hope suffering is kept to a minimum.

3 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

My folks don't believe it, and they've lived through some tough times. They are also in their seventies and probably feeling they don't have long left anyway, why would the elderly live in fear and spend what could be, their remaining days cut off from people indoors?

I'm on the fence with all of this. At first I thought, yeah it looks like another bird flu scenario and we should be cautious - but then celebrities started weighing in on social media like Tom Hanks and thats when I thought, somethings not right here.

And thats where I am at this moment. I'm not sure I believe in this situation. Theres an enormous amount of psychological damage you can do with fear and mass media. You can make people who have mild headaches believe they have brain tumours. You can advocate for war. You can win political elections and you can convince the world that we are all going to die through global warming.

I'm not saying that nothing is happening here - clearly something is going on. Agenda wise? My gut is telling me theres something other than what it seems, happening.

Whatever that is i hope suffering is kept to a minimum.

It says a lot about the world we live in when for many of us our first thought is to be cynical about the powers that be rather than genuinely concerned for our own and loved ones health. 

I do believe it is a real threat and if anything has been downplayed by our lot but one thing I can absolutely guarantee is that the fuckers will find a way to profit from it. 

32 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Covid-19 can put anybody in the hospital because it can cause Pneumonia. Just like the odd chance that the flu can do that to a healthy teenager, except this is far worse than the flu and it's spreading like wildfire. China said 80% of cases were mild. I think what people didn't get from that is that this 80% combined everything from "just a cold" to "awful symptoms but that don't end up putting you in the hospital". That's not a picnic. And there's anecdotes popping up everywhere from journos and ER Doctors detailing people in their 20's in the ICU's. 

It's not smart to tell fit, healthy people it's just like a cold. It definitely may not be. People right now need to be scared out of doing stupid stuff. 

We have government policy that is designed at us all getting it. I think we all need to accept we'll catch it at some point.

12 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Matt Hancock article in the Telegraph:

The coronavirus outbreak is the biggest public health emergency in a generation.

It calls for dramatic action, at home and abroad, of the kind not normally seen in peacetime.

Our goal is clear. The over-riding objective is to protect life. Sadly 21 people have already died in the UK, and the fact that most had underlying health conditions does not make the grief of their families any lesser, nor our compassion for their family and friends any weaker. We must all do everything in our power to tackle this virus.

We have a plan, based on the expertise of world-leading scientists.

Herd immunity is not a part of it. That is a scientific concept, not a goal or a strategy. Our goal is to protect life from this virus, our strategy is to protect the most vulnerable and protect the NHS through contain, delay, research and mitigate.

We are working through our clear action plan. Like all our decisions, the plan is based on the bedrock of the science, with maximum transparency. We will do the right thing at the right time, based on the best available science. 

To protect life, we must protect the vulnerable, and protect the NHS and flatten the curve.

From the moment coronavirus emerged, we have followed those goals.

We have acted to contain the spread of the virus so far. We have carried out some of the highest number of tests in Europe, our surveillance testing is among the most sophisticated in the world and the UK’s plans for the rapid response to and mitigation of the spread of an epidemic are ranked number one above any other country by the Global Health Security Index. Most importantly of all, thanks to our record levels of tracing the number of people who came into contact with the first people who caught the virus, the initial growth was slowed significantly, and the growth of the virus in the UK has been slower than many major European countries.

This action has already prevented the NHS being put under greater pressure in its hardest season of the year. We have bought valuable time to prepare.

Last week we stepped into the next phase of our response. We took action to advise anyone with symptoms, however mild, to stay at home. This advice from the Chief Medical Officer will be reinforced with a national communications campaign so everyone knows what they can do: how you can play your part. The new campaign will set out the latest clinical advice, for people to stay at home for seven days if they develop a high temperature or new continuous cough. 

We can all keep doing our bit by continuing to wash our hands more often, for 20 seconds or more and having plenty of tissues around to ‘catch it, bin it, kill it’.

Following this new advice may sound simple, but it could be lifesaving for others around us, especially the most vulnerable.

Today, we take further action, with a call to arms for a drive to build the ventilators and other equipment the NHS will need. We are better equipped thanks to the NHS than most other countries, but we will need many more.

We now need any manufacturers to transform their production lines to make ventilators. We cannot make too many.

In the near future we will take further steps. SAGE has advised the next planned effective interventions will need to be instituted soon, including measures to ‘shield’ older and medically vulnerable people from the virus.

Everyone will need to help to ensure they get the support they need to stay at home, and to protect them from the consequences of isolation: loneliness, and a lack of support. Government, local councils, charities, friends and neighbours will need to be part of the national effort to support the shielded. We will provide expert advice and support as soon as we progress to this phase.

Next week we will publish our emergency bill, to give the Government the temporary powers we will need to help everyone get through this. The measures in it allow for the worst case scenario. I hope many of them won’t be needed. But we will ask Parliament for these powers in case they are.

Our generation has never been tested like this. Our grandparents were, during the Second World War, when our cities were bombed during the Blitz. Despite the pounding every night, the rationing, the loss of life, they pulled together in one gigantic national effort.

Today our generation is facing its own test, fighting a very real and new disease. We must fight the disease to protect life.

Everyone will be asked to make sacrifices, to protect themselves and others, especially those most vulnerable to this disease. With our clear action plan, listening to the advice of the best science, and taking the action we all must, I am sure we will rise to this challenge.

Yazoo - Goodbye Over 70s

49 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

To be fair, loneliness among the elderly is now starting to be recognised as a major social issue, mental health-wise and even in terms of knock-on physical health decline. Not as instantly fatal as getting Covid-19 and having your ventilator taken off you for someone younger and more healthy though, so needs must. 

I can see why a lot of older people will be absolutely terrified by the thought of isolation and the potential for neglect or being found dead alone though. That’s just a basic human fear.  

13 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Fair point. Hopefully, these people can still perform their hobbies to pass the time and use technology to keep up with their relatives, etc...

I don't particularly think 4 months of isolation would 'kill them' but it may make their symptoms of anxiety or depression worse which may increase risks (e.g. self-neglect, suicidal ideation etc). It can be useful to speak to Age UK or Mind about how to manage and support your loved ones during this time. If they are in housing, they usually have people that can check in or even organise events on-site too. It's worth bearing in mind that for a lot of people they don't want to 'burden' their family or 'moan about their problems' when they feel 'they have enough on their plate', if that's the case, get them to get in touch with listening services such as https://www.thesilverline.org.uk/ as it can be really useful to speak to someone when nobody is available.

I would say to anyone who has someone their worried about to look at the little things you can do to support them. It's not about fixing their anxieties or trying to improve their mood (only they can do that) but helping with tasks like cleaning, teaching good hygiene or just getting their shopping in.

Technology can be a problem for the elderly (not everyone) so it may even help to set up Skype, show them the basics and perhaps they can learn a new skill? It's the little things that help.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It says a lot about the world we live in when for many of us our first thought is to be cynical about the powers that be rather than genuinely concerned for our own and loved ones health. 

I do believe it is a real threat and if anything has been downplayed by our lot but one thing I can absolutely guarantee is that the fuckers will find a way to profit from it. 

Im the opposite.

Man is an evil bastard, corrupt to the core and doesn't give a fuck about anybody else. Power and control is his all encompassing goal.

They will do what they can, history has shown this time and time again, its just the methods that differ. Did you know, Wuhan was one of the first areas to pilot 5G? Apparently theres a lot of risk in 5G, microwaves that can affect the human body. 5G scares me more than a virus. That makes me fear fro my family and kids, as its almost certainly going to be forced into communities.

7 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Except we have a lot of elderly people who have nobody and will have no means of shopping if they are confined, no access to technology such as computers or the internet, and nobody to check on them regularly. You are looking to neighbours to look in on them, but given how selfish people are here I worry that a large number of the elderly won’t get the assistance they need.

Completely agree, there is no question many are in that situation. It’s going to require a large contribution from all to help such people through it.

I absolutely loathe this government, I detest Johnson beyond words. The manner in which Second World War language, and Churchillian rhetoric, has been used in recent years in regards to the clusterfuck of Brexit has been crass, appalling and totally hateful. However, I do think referencing the war effort, collective sacrifice and the whole population pulling together is perhaps appropriate, with regards to what will be required to pull the maximum number of people through this, especially the most vulnerable.

As a nation, we’ve had an awful lot to be ashamed of in recent times. But when the chips are down, british people can, do and have worked together and shown a far more benevolent and selfless side than is on display on a daily basis. That isn’t about the government or whatever they’re spewing out, it’s about the population and British people in general. 

I have no doubt, sadly, that many people are going to slip between the cracks here. I do think there will be plenty in the groups you have mentioned though who will be supported by neighbours and even by strangers, with groups and charities and donations being set-up to help.

Is it going to be enough? Probably not, and that’s devastating for those affected. But hopefully we will rise to the occasion as a people and a community. There’s enough decent souls in the country for that to happen.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Italy have suspended mortgages the other day and lots of countries talking about doing the same and looking into rent issues as well. I know Corbyn suggested this to the UK Gov't as well. 

A few banks here have announced payment holidays (RBS, TSB & NatWest, I think), for those impacted by the virus.

3 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Im the opposite.

Man is an evil bastard, corrupt to the core and doesn't give a fuck about anybody else. Power and control is his all encompassing goal.

They will do what they can, history has shown this time and time again, its just the methods that differ. Did you know, Wuhan was one of the first areas to pilot 5G? Apparently theres a lot of risk in 5G, microwaves that can affect the human body. 5G scares me more than a virus. That makes me fear fro my family and kids, as its almost certainly going to be forced into communities.

Be careful, that aluminium foil leeches into skin. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I don't know if it's selfish, but I think we have created a society that no longer knows each other. I would barely recognise my neighbours and I've lived here for more than 12 years. 

13 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

3116F54F-98DE-450F-B6F9-C119F919FBE6.jpeg

That fucking rat was on my flight home on Friday. It was really tough not to knee high tackle him as he walked past. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Im the opposite.

Can we not do shit conspiracy theories in this thread? Thanks.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Im the opposite.

Oh I agree about 'the man' fully. 100%. 'the man' is a cunt.

Not sure about the 5G thing. I don't know enough about it. 

Its not often I'd agree with someone who has Leonhardsen as his avatar. 

From the New York Times, something which kinda diminishes the if you're not old you're alright rhetoric:

France announced the closing of all “non-indispensable” businesses as of midnight, including restaurants, bars, and movie theaters, after a sharp uptick in the assault from the coronavirus. French cases doubled over the last 72 hours to about 4,500. There have been 91 deaths, and 300 coronavirus patients are in critical condition — half of them under 50 years of age.

6 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Its called free thinking. You should try it sometime and not simply do what the TV tells you to.

You are as entitled to your opinion as much as I am. If I think the  5G conspiracy stuff is probably batshit crazy and not particularly helpful at this time, then allow me some of that free thinking you're smoking. 

and how the fuck are they going to chemtrail everyone if the planes aren't flying?

What's a TV?