You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Guest Pistonbroke
Corona
The people will survive
In their environment
The dirt, scarcity, and the emptiness of our south
The injustice of our greed
The practice we inherit
The dirt, scarcity and the emptiness of our south
There on the beach
I could see it in her eyes
I only had a Corona
Five cent deposit
Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Boon
Corona lyrics © BMG Rights Management

24 minutes ago, Philtrum said:

Anti-inflammatories may aggravate Covid-19, France advises

French authorities have warned that widely used over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs may worsen the coronavirus.

The country’s health minister, Olivier Véran, who is a qualified doctor and neurologist, tweeted on Saturday: “The taking of anti-inflammatories [ibuprofen, cortisone … ] could be a factor in aggravating the infection. In case of fever, take paracetamol. If you are already taking anti-inflammatory drugs, ask your doctor’s advice.”

Health officials point out that anti-inflammatory drugs are known to be a risk for those with infectious illnesses because they tend to diminish the response of the body’s immune system.

The health ministry added that patients should choose paracetamol because “it will reduce the fever without counterattacking the inflammation”.

French patients have been forced to consult pharmacies since mid-January if they want to buy popular painkillers, including ibuprofen, paracetamol and aspirin, to be reminded of the risks.

Jean-Louis Montastruc, the head of pharmacology at Toulouse hospital, told RTL radio: “Anti-inflammatory drugs increase the risk of complications when there is a fever or infection.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/anti-inflammatory-drugs-may-aggravate-coronavirus-infection?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Spooky, I was just talking to my sister about that. We both have rheumatoid arthritis, and take various anti-inflammatories anyway as part of the treatment- Naproxen for me, like a souped up Ibuprofen. Be a fucking nightmare if we can't take those as painkillers, Naproxen's an absolute life saver for me.

RA is an auto-immune disease, and we also take Methoxtrexate as one of its side effects is to reduce the immune response. It's a cancer treatment (chemo), but we take a reduced dose of it- still unpleasant, but nowhere near the full side effects. I read elsewhere that Covid-19 causes a cytokine storm (an out of control immune response) in many of the patients who've died. The chemo treatment we take is basically something to suppress that.

I'd be very interested to know if that's actually good or bad for us, and a potential life saver for others- on the one hand we're immuno-suppressed, on the other we're taking something that might stop the 'killing blow' of the virus.