You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-mission-briefing-on-covid-19---12-march-2020

WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the Mission briefing on COVID-19 - 12 March 2020

As you know, yesterday I said that that the global COVID-19 outbreak can now be described as a pandemic. 

This is not a decision we took lightly. 

We have made this assessment for two main reasons: first, because of the speed and scale of transmission. 

Almost 125,000 cases have now been reported to WHO, from 118 countries and territories. In the past two weeks, the number of cases reported outside China has increased almost 13-fold, and the number of affected countries has almost tripled. 

The second reason is that despite our frequent warnings, we are deeply concerned that some countries are not approaching this threat with the level of political commitment needed to control it. 

Let me be clear: describing this as a pandemic does not mean that countries should give up. The idea that countries should shift from containment to mitigation is wrong and dangerous.

On the contrary, we have to double down. 

This is a controllable pandemic. Countries that decide to give up on fundamental public health measures may end up with a larger problem, and a heavier burden on the health system that requires more severe measures to control.

All countries must strike a fine balance between protecting health, preventing economic and social disruption, and respecting human rights.

We urge all countries to take a comprehensive approach tailored to their circumstances – with containment as the central pillar. 

We are calling on countries to take a four-pronged strategy:

First, prepare and be ready. 

There are still 77 countries and territories with no reported cases, and 55 countries and territories that have reported 10 cases or less.

And all countries with cases have unaffected areas. You have an opportunity to keep it that way. Prepare your people and your health facilities.

Second, detect, prevent and treat.

You can’t fight a virus if you don’t know where it is. That means robust surveillance to find, isolate, test and treat every case, to break the chains of transmission.

Third, reduce and suppress.

To save lives we must reduce transmission. That means finding and isolating as many cases as possible, and quarantining their closest contacts. Even if you cannot stop transmission, you can slow it down and protect health facilities, old age homes and other vital areas – but only if you test all suspected cases.

And fourth, innovate and improve. 

This is a new virus and a new situation. We’re all learning and we must all find new ways to prevent infections, save lives, and minimize impact. All countries have lessons to share. 

WHO is working day and night to support all countries. 

We have shipped supplies of personal protective equipment to 57 countries, we’re preparing to ship to a further 28, and we’ve shipped lab supplies to 120 countries.

We’ve published an R&D roadmap, with a set of core protocols for how studies should be done. 

We’ve published a comprehensive package of technical guidance. 

We’ve had more than 176,000 enrollments in our COVID training courses on OpenWHO. 

We’re working with the World Economic Forum and the International Chambers of Commerce to engage the private sector. We’re also working with FIFA. 

We’re working with our colleagues across the UN system to support countries to develop their preparedness and response plans, according to the 8 pillars. 

And more than 440 million U.S. dollars has now been pledged to WHO’s Strategic Preparedness and Response Plan

We thank those countries that have contributed, especially those that have contributed fully flexible funds. Because this is a dynamic situation, we need the greatest flexibility possible to provide the best support possible. In the spirit of solidarity, we ask countries not to earmark funds for this response.

The mayor of Miami, Florida Francis Suarez has tested positive for coronavirus, the Miami Herald is reporting. Suarez attended an event with a Brazilian government official earlier this week who has since tested positive with coronavirus.

Suarez was one of several politicians who interacted with Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro and his staff, along with Donald Trump and his staff, when they came to Miami earlier this week. 

The government has announced that May's local and mayoral elections in England will be postponed for a year due to the coronavirus outbreak.

It comes after the Electoral Commission said on Thursday the polls should be delayed until the autumn to "mitigate" the impact of the virus. 

The polling watchdog had said there were "growing risks" to the delivery of the polls, due on 7 May.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51876269

16 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The mayor of Miami, Florida Francis Suarez has tested positive for coronavirus, the Miami Herald is reporting. Suarez attended an event with a Brazilian government official earlier this week who has since tested positive with coronavirus.

Suarez was one of several politicians who interacted with Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro and his staff, along with Donald Trump and his staff, when they came to Miami earlier this week. 

¡Bienvenido!

25 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

That's what he gets for biting people.

• Upvote 1

Peter Drobac, a doctor in global health and infectious disease at Oxford University, says the “the UK is really out on a limb”.

Speaking to the BBC he added:

They waited too long to respond, and we really have to question the wisdom of the idea that we can time social distancing interventions just right to blunt the peak. They are taking an approach which puts them alone in the world. And I think it’s a gamble.

Guest Pistonbroke

Just been for the weekly shop, fucking nightmare. It would seem that mad toilet paper disease has hit the Germans, well I say Germans, it was all the Asian looking people who were pushing trolley loads of certain items about. That is not being funny towards them before someone starts, just the reality I can see with my own eyes, the fuckers must have cellars full of food and shit. Had to go to 5 different shops before I could find some arse paper, plus 7.50€ for 20 rolls, extra soft though and scented, should do my arse wonders. Not just toilet paper these fuckers are mad for mind, flour and oil all sold out, bread mixes etc etc...It's going to get mad over the next few weeks as the supply chain won't be able to keep up with these flapping fuckers hoarding a years supply of stuff. On the bright side, my favourite Vodka (Bison) was reduced from 14.99€ to 5.88€!! Gonna get fucking messy tonight (first drop of alcohol in over 2 months), thankfully I now have 4 ply scented arse paper. 

Missus just got a text to say one of the Kindergartens she teaches in is shutting down for the foreseeable, no doubt the others will follow suit over the next few days. Fuck knows what that means money wise, guess she'll still get paid, but you never know. 

6 minutes ago, Philtrum said:

Peter Drobac, a doctor in global health and infectious disease at Oxford University, says the “the UK is really out on a limb”.

Speaking to the BBC he added:

They waited too long to respond, and we really have to question the wisdom of the idea that we can time social distancing interventions just right to blunt the peak. They are taking an approach which puts them alone in the world. And I think it’s a gamble.

Yep read that too, quite a few legitimate posts questioning the strategy. Are we just using models rather than evidence based approaches? We don't know enough about the virus to go for herd immunity when we don't know if new strains appear each year like flu rendering the whole approach of building herd immunity both pointless and dangerous. Is it ethical to deliberately expose large numbers of people to the virus rather than waiting for a vaccine and suppressing it until then?

17 minutes ago, clangers said:

Is it ethical to deliberately expose large numbers of people to the virus rather than waiting for a vaccine and suppressing it until then?

No. He basically said people are going to die before their time. He's accepted this and as our glorious leader says we should just accept it too. He's telling people this is what he is going to allow happen. Survival of the fittest. It's totally wrong at a basic human level. If you can take absolutely any action (and there are many) to even slightly reduce the risk of vulnerable people becoming infected then you should take it. Fuck everything else. It's the right thing to do. We should be about saving lives not allowing them to die! If we don't take these actions then we're basically allowing people to die who might not have done if certain actions had been taken. How can anyone be ok with this? We don't even know enough about the virus to state beyond reasonable doubt that the UK government's actions will bring about herd fucking immunity. Even Jeremy Hunt doesn't like the idea! It's appalling.

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Just been for the weekly shop, fucking nightmare. It would seem that mad toilet paper disease has hit the Germans, well I say Germans, it was all the Asian looking people who were pushing trolley loads of certain items about. That is not being funny towards them before someone starts, just the reality I can see with my own eyes, the fuckers must have cellars full of food and shit. Had to go to 5 different shops before I could find some arse paper, plus 7.50€ for 20 rolls, extra soft though and scented, should do my arse wonders. Not just toilet paper these fuckers are mad for mind, flour and oil all sold out, bread mixes etc etc...It's going to get mad over the next few weeks as the supply chain won't be able to keep up with these flapping fuckers hoarding a years supply of stuff. On the bright side, my favourite Vodka (Bison) was reduced from 14.99€ to 5.88€!! Gonna get fucking messy tonight (first drop of alcohol in over 2 months), thankfully I now have 4 ply scented arse paper. 

Missus just got a text to say one of the Kindergartens she teaches in is shutting down for the foreseeable, no doubt the others will follow suit over the next few days. Fuck knows what that means money wise, guess she'll still get paid, but you never know. 

Asian looking.  2020. 

Guest Pistonbroke
38 minutes ago, RedPaul said:

No. He basically said people are going to die before their time. He's accepted this and as our glorious leader says we should just accept it too. He's telling people this is what he is going to allow happen. Survival of the fittest. It's totally wrong at a basic human level. If you can take absolutely any action (and there are many) to even slightly reduce the risk of vulnerable people becoming infected then you should take it. Fuck everything else. It's the right thing to do. We should be about saving lives not allowing them to die! If we don't take these actions then we're basically allowing people to die who might not have done if certain actions had been taken. How can anyone be ok with this? We don't even know enough about the virus to state beyond reasonable doubt that the UK government's actions will bring about herd fucking immunity. Even Jeremy Hunt doesn't like the idea! It's appalling.

Health organisations and the likes need to start putting pressure on Governments who aren't doing enough. As has been said by a few of us, this is a wet dream for certain Governments as they see it as an opportunity to cull certain sections of society and claim it just couldn't be prevented. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Our neighbour told me earlier that his eldest son (Lives a few doors further down) has flu symptoms. He didn't get in the doctors, they handed him a sick note out of the window and told him to stay at home for two weeks. Just seen him outside when I got back from a walk with the dog cleaning his car. This whole self isolation is shit, because people are cunts and just happy to get time off and don't give a shit about others.