You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

2 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

*puts tinfoil hat on*

Lijian Zhao from the Chinese Foreign Ministry has linked an article on twitter that includes this :

I'm sure this will go down well.

Revenge is a dish best served through Huawei servers.

• Upvote 1

TORONTO -- A group of Canadian scientists has successfully isolated and grown copies of the novel coronavirus responsible for the COVID-19 pandemic, paving the way for a potential vaccine. 

Researchers say isolating the virus will help develop treatments, vaccines and tests for the virus and allow them to conduct long-term research to understand the biology of COVID-19. 

"We need key tools to develop solutions to this pandemic,” Dr. Samira Mubareka, microbiologist and infectious diseases physician at Sunnybrook, said in a statement.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canadian-scientists-make-covid-19-research-breakthrough-isolating-virus-1.4851641

• Upvote 1

I agree. If we can keep it down to 500,000 I think we'd have done very well.

It's absolutely terrifying.. my dad's 82 and undergoing chemo and stuck in Florida; my mum's 81 but in good health and her husband is 75 with a completely fucked immune system due to 3 bouts of cancer

8 minutes ago, mattyq said:

I agree. If we can keep it down to 500,000 I think we'd have done very well.

It's absolutely terrifying.. my dad's 82 and undergoing chemo and stuck in Florida; my mum's 81 but in good health and her husband is 75 with a completely fucked immune system due to 3 bouts of cancer

Strange thread to out your mum as a nonce mate x 

China are down to single digit new cases per day with less than 0.006% of their population having been infected and less than 0.00023% having died. Short of pumping the virus directly into the national water supply how the fuck are we going to get anywhere near half a million deaths?

3 minutes ago, M_B said:

China locked everything down.

We're leaving everything open so we can all get a herd immunity.

This

The powers that be seem to want 80% of population to catch it so we're protected in the future but there will be a price to pay

China have gone down a different route which we would find very difficult.

I have no idea who's right

49 minutes ago, Philtrum said:

TORONTO -- A group of Canadian scientists has successfully isolated and grown copies of the novel coronavirus responsible for the COVID-19 pandemic, paving the way for a potential vaccine. 

Researchers say isolating the virus will help develop treatments, vaccines and tests for the virus and allow them to conduct long-term research to understand the biology of COVID-19. 

"We need key tools to develop solutions to this pandemic,” Dr. Samira Mubareka, microbiologist and infectious diseases physician at Sunnybrook, said in a statement.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canadian-scientists-make-covid-19-research-breakthrough-isolating-virus-1.4851641

I volunteer Stacksy as a guinea pig.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, M_B said:

China locked everything down.

We're leaving everything open so we can all get a herd immunity.

China were initially denying its existence and caught completely by surprise. We've had weeks of knowledge that an outbreak was inevitable and months to learn from cases elsewhere.

Sporting events and large gatherings are now being cancelled, people are being encouraged to self isolate and more stringent measures will surely be introduced shortly.

It just doesn't seem remotely plausible that 0.5% of our population will die when no other country on earth (including those now over the worst of it) have got anywhere near 0.1% of their population being infected.

5 minutes ago, mattyq said:

This

The powers that be seem to want 80% of population to catch it so we're protected in the future but there will be a price to pay

China have gone down a different route which we would find very difficult.

I have no idea who's right

The expert on Joe Rogan the other day said that as soon as China release the sanctions, the number of infections will go up again.

2 minutes ago, cuppatea said:

China were initially denying its existence and caught completely by surprise. We've had weeks of knowledge that an outbreak was inevitable and months to learn from cases elsewhere.

Sporting events and large gatherings are now being cancelled, people are being encouraged to self isolate and more stringent measures will surely be introduced shortly.

It just doesn't seem remotely plausible that 0.5% of our population will die when no other country on earth (including those now over the worst of it) have got anywhere near 0.1% of their population being infected.

Yet.

Business as usual for us.

HMCTS coronavirus preparation planning

During the current phase of the coronavirus outbreak, the business of our courts and tribunals continues. Any changes to individual hearings will be communicated directly to those affected in the usual way, usually by email and/or phone.

Coming to court or tribunal during the coronavirus outbreak

All court and tribunal users should read the latest information about prevention, treatment and travel. These include but are not limited to witnesses, those attending for jury service, professional courts users and justice system partners.

Stay at home for 7 days if you have either:

• a high temperature
  • a new continuous cough

Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital.

You do not need to contact 111 to tell them you’re staying at home.

Read advice about staying at home.

As long as you, or a member of your party, do not have confirmed or possible coronavirus (COVID-19) infection, you should continue to use courts and tribunals as usual. This includes those attending for jury service. Please see our guidance on what to expect when coming to court and our guidance on entering a court or tribunal building.

However, if you, or a member of your party, do have confirmed or possible coronavirus (COVID-19) infection, you should contact the court or tribunal in which the hearing is due to take place. You can find contact details on Courts and Tribunals Finder.

Government guidance is available for workplaces. Although courts and tribunals are not businesses, the principles should be applied to the work of courts and tribunals. We will follow this Government-wide advice in relation to managing our buildings and making decisions about keeping them open.

Hygiene in courts and tribunal buildings

Our buildings are cleaned every day and we’ll also respond swiftly to complaints about poor hygiene. If you see something of concern, please let the local team know so they can put things right.

We know how important it is for all court users – professional and public – to have confidence that they are using a building that is clean and safe. NHS advice is for people to wash their hands with soap and water, which is available in all courts and tribunals. Given the importance of handwashing at the moment, our cleaners will give extra attention to checking bathrooms and handwashing facilities.

We recently changed our security policy to allow people to also bring hand sanitiser into our buildings - our security officers will ask you to use it to prove it’s not harmful.

How we will update you about the impact of coronavirus on courts and tribunals

If there are wider changes to the operational running of the courts this will be communicated in the first instance on our digital channels:

Video hearings during coronavirus outbreak

Judges can consider audio or video links in a number of circumstances. This includes for example where a defendant does not need to attend in person an application to appeal refusal of bail in the crown court, or in preliminary and enforcement hearings.

HMCTS priorities during coronavirus outbreak

We have strong business continuity plans to ensure we can respond to and continue our work in extraordinary circumstances, including public health outbreaks.

This includes a flexible system – and a flexible workforce - designed to ensure that access to justice can be maintained throughout the most challenging of times.

In managing our response to coronavirus, our priorities are to:

• Maintain access to justice
  • Support decisions and directions made by the judiciary
  • Play our part in the cross-government and justice system-wide plans to deliver key services, protect the public and maintain confidence in the justice system
  • Support court sittings and answer public enquiries
  • Minimise disruption
  • Work with partners and stakeholders to deliver priorities
  • Monitor and subsequently manage any arrears of work that could accumulate in the worst-case scenario

More information and advice

Read the latest information about the Government’s coronavirus response and plans.

Published 13 March 2020

2 minutes ago, cuppatea said:

Mate, I very much hope you're right but I think nowhere is over the worst of it... think it's going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better

Would be great to be proved a hysterical fanny as everything pans out well but suspect it won't

4 minutes ago, cuppatea said:

I don't think things will get as bad as that, I agree. Or rather hope. But events and large gatherings are only being cancelled right now because they choose to. The government isn't cancelling anything.

And self isolation is all well and good, but you don't even know you have it for the first 7 days while you infect others around you.

But yes, I don't think things will get that bad, but this isn't going to be a picnic either and I have no confidence that the government is choosing the right course of action.