You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

43 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

What's everyone's employers been like?

So far, we've had one email  - a cut and paste job full of generic advice - and literally not one word specific to the work we do, our policies or anything. 

Same. Although got told not to have any external meetings. I didn't get the email cos I was out at a meeting. 

31 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Such a prick isn't he. So "we've moved back onto the next stage... DELAY. If you have coronovirus symptoms stay at home for 7 days. If you are over 70 don't go on a cruise. Avoid school trips. Thats it"

In other words they want to cull more people for as long as they can. 

This is going to go tits up within a week and this government will again have more blood on their hands. 

And yet people will still vote for them in their millions. People will drag their malnourished, dying, coronavirus ravaged bodies to the voting booth to "get Brexit done" in post apocalyptic Britian in four years. 

3 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

And yet people will still vote for them in their millions. People will drag their malnourished, dying, coronavirus ravaged bodies to the voting booth to "get Brexit done" in post apocalyptic Britian in four years. 

The worlds most determined racists. "Me family were wiped out within 3 weeks and I lost an arm and an eye but that won't stop me. Get em out!" 

The UK's chief medical officer says the actions taken so far by the government has delayed the virus taking hold - but they must move to the next stage.

Chris Witty says it is all about timing, adding: "If you move too early, people get fatigued. This is a long haul."

Mr Witty says he "cannot emphasise enough about washing hands" as it makes a real difference in the spread.

But he reiterates the call for anyone, even with mild symptoms, to stay at home for seven days.

"The virus seems to have its maximum transmission period around the time the first symptoms show and for two or three days after, then it declines, so by seven days, the majority are not infectious and fine to go into society.

"The evidence would appear to [show] some people with mild symptoms can spread this to a lot of people."

Guest Pistonbroke
5 minutes ago, Philtrum said:

The UK's chief medical officer says the actions taken so far by the government has delayed the virus taking hold - but they must move to the next stage.

Chris Witty says it is all about timing, adding: "If you move too early, people get fatigued. This is a long haul."

Mr Witty says he "cannot emphasise enough about washing hands" as it makes a real difference in the spread.

But he reiterates the call for anyone, even with mild symptoms, to stay at home for seven days.

"The virus seems to have its maximum transmission period around the time the first symptoms show and for two or three days after, then it declines, so by seven days, the majority are not infectious and fine to go into society.

"The evidence would appear to [show] some people with mild symptoms can spread this to a lot of people."

What utter bullshit. 

6 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

He's mental. "Many more families will lose loved ones however we think its best to carry on as we are"

It's a huge experiment guided by their interpretation of scientific information, clearly behavioural science is playing a significant part. We're now heading down a different path to many other countries. We'll know in a week or two.

Difficult to avoid the conclusion that short term economics are playing a big part.

1 minute ago, clangers said:

That was my reaction to be honest, either that or they know we're fucked by this so why screw the economy?

Their excuse for not doing it now was that old people would get lonely (as opposed to dead) and that kids would get bored. 

What I don't understand is the strategy is to delay infection so that the NHS is not overwhelmed, yet there are no measures being put in place to delay the infection. Nothing at all in fact, unless I have missed something.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I would say the only thing anyone can be sure of is the case numbers are higher than reported in every country/instance.

I'm sure they are but you can only try to draw some conclusions analyzing data you have. It's a known unknown, to borrow a category from a certain former US government official.

What a patronising cowardly cunt that man is. So we're moving into the 'delay' phase...make people stay at home with none to little contact with the outside world. At what point do you contact the doctor? How ill do you need to be? Oh and don't worry, after 7 days you can mix with the big wide world as even if you're still ill you won't spread the disease, that is medically certain,

You know how they are going to 'delay' the virus? By not testing anyone... this little nugget from the BBC website

"As part of the new measures, testing will only focus on identifying people with the virus in hospital."

• Upvote 1

It's quite obvious that they've been delaying and delaying. Doing fuck all apart from useless pointless messages.

They are only protecting the economy for as long as they can. They couldn't give a fuck about the people.

They are waiting until we're well into spring (more than likely May) and cases are just going to continue to increase and more people will die.

Every other country are taking drastic action including Ireland and Scotland shutting schools and banning any large public gatherings.

And we're just carrying on like normal.

Fucking cunts.

27 minutes ago, RedPaul said:

What a patronising cowardly cunt that man is. So we're moving into the 'delay' phase...make people stay at home with none to little contact with the outside world. At what point do you contact the doctor? How ill do you need to be? Oh and don't worry, after 7 days you can mix with the big wide world as even if you're still ill you won't spread the disease, that is medically certain,

You know how they are going to 'delay' the virus? By not testing anyone... this little nugget from the BBC website

"As part of the new measures, testing will only focus on identifying people with the virus in hospital."

And people have been criticising China for not releasing information. 

We as far as I can see, stand alone in our actions to combat this. I can only assume that all of the other countries have got this wrong. Or maybe they value the elderly and vulnerable more than the tories, who knows. 

• Upvote 1