You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I don't even think that's an option at this point.

We should have probably just said that we just traveled somewhere to make sure that they tested her, but now she's in the file and her answers to the questions are recorded.

We have a friend who has a friend in the department of health, so we're seeing if there's a backdoor option to get tested. Either way, we want to know!

Tell them you went abroad.

8 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Thing is this isn't the first virus and won't be the last, especially due to the World being overpopulated and them needing clothes/food/fluids etc. Investing in health care should be the priority of every Gov't, after all, it is our fucking taxes the cunts would rather spend on Nuclear weapons/arms and trying to find fucking life in outer space, bunch of cunts. 

I'm on various tablets for Rheumatism, arthritis, heart stent (to stop it clogging etc) etc...7 tablets a day ffs. For some reason my immune system is pretty strong, although it remains to be seen if it will stay that way should I pick up a shitty virus like this one.   

I disagree the world is overpopulated, the biggest issue with population spike is the unequal distribution of wealth.

over a billion people in India, how many of them are using highly inefficient energy sources? 

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

The only personal thing I have is not wanting to get coronavirus which is shared by 99% of the population. You'd have to be mentally ill to want it. There's no way I could be optimistic for people that are going to suffer and die before the government acts either, that's also insane. And I could still be one of those people yet, just like anyone else here who's posting from the UK.

It's almost as if you're saying I shouldn't be optimistic that the government are going to eventually be forced to do something because people are going to be harmed, so I should just feel shit and without hope instead?

The only intent of the post was to try to be positive about something eventually happening instead of doom and gloom.

Which is why I said you are optimistic from a personal view point.

it appears the UK has already had enough inaction, for optimism to go out the fucking window.

its extremely unlikely to wipe out humanity in its current form.

so the optimism is t for the species, it’s for your own personal impact.

nothing up with that, most people are probably the same, but you often see in times of crisis that people tend to get optimistic from a narrow personal standpoint. 

35 minutes ago, Michael Winstanley said:

I disagree the world is overpopulated, the biggest issue with population spike is the unequal distribution of wealth.

over a billion people in India, how many of them are using highly inefficient energy sources? 

Yes.

However, given how difficult it is proving to commit to, arrange and implement a universal rollback of various damaging inefficiencies, the world does seem hugely overpopulated.

And this is perhaps more of a "power" rather than a "wealth" distribution issue.

The seriously wealthy handful don't need or want more money, they want more power.

Although perhaps I'm quibbling over terms when I think about it; power and wealth are probably the same thing - fear and financial enslavement its instruments.

Excuse my meanderings.

3 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

The only personal thing I have is not wanting to get coronavirus which is shared by 99% of the population. You'd have to be mentally ill to want it. There's no way I could be optimistic for people that are going to suffer and die before the government acts either, that's also insane. And I could still be one of those people yet, just like anyone else here who's posting from the UK.

It's almost as if you're saying I shouldn't be optimistic that the government are going to eventually be forced to do something because people are going to be harmed, so I should just feel shit and without hope instead?

The only intent of the post was to try to be positive about something eventually happening instead of doom and gloom.

I get that you don’t want to be all doom and gloom, but you can state the same viewpoint from both perspectives.

i more pessimistic, I think people will die needlessly, the old, infirm, and homeless will be worst affected.

this will kick the government into action, but at that point a shortage of beds, staff and equipment will probably lead to more unnecessary deaths.

the free market competition for ventilators and associated medical supplies (mostly manufactured offshore I am assuming) will mean price hikes, which the government may be “unable” to commit to.

i am pessimistic, looking at the same outcome as you, because I can see many unnecessary deaths. I am taking a viewpoint of the community impact, rather than personal.

3 hours ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

Which is why I said you are optimistic from a personal view point.

it appears the UK has already had enough inaction, for optimism to go out the fucking window.

its extremely unlikely to wipe out humanity in its current form.

so the optimism is t for the species, it’s for your own personal impact.

nothing up with that, most people are probably the same, but you often see in times of crisis that people tend to get optimistic from a narrow personal standpoint. 

Doesn't look like we're going to agree on this does it?

I imagined that health services would go to shit, then the government would be forced to act. That's horrible for the people that have to be part of the health services ending up like that, but it's good for most of the population because if it's then managed it saves a lot of lives. Hundreds of thousands of lives possibly. It doesn't mean those that suffer and die are forgotten though or that I don't feel remorse for them.

2 hours ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

I am taking a viewpoint of the community impact, rather than personal.

Good, I'm taking it from both, community and personal. Having an anxiety disorder kind of makes me concerned about my own health and how I'd react to getting this, but it doesn't mean that I'm not concerned about others at the same time. If I got this, survived it and then had immunity there's no way I'd be happily sat back relaxing with no concern for others. It'd still bother me a lot and I'd be hoping that as a species we can stop this spreading before it gets out of hand.

If it did get out of hand it could lead to over 70 million dead by hitting only half of the world's population, and I said the same thing more than once on here as this started up, way before I said anything about optimism.

1 minute ago, Red Phoenix said:

Doesn't look like we're going to agree on this does it?

I imagined that health services would go to shit, then the government would be forced to act. That's horrible for the people that have to be part of the health services ending up like that, but it's good for most of the population because if it's then managed it saves a lot of lives. Hundreds of thousands of lives possibly. It doesn't mean those that suffer and die are forgotten though or that I don't feel remorse for them.

Good, I'm taking it from both, community and personal. Having an anxiety disorder kind of makes me concerned about my own health and how I'd react to getting this, but it doesn't mean that I'm not concerned about others at the same time. If I got this, survived it and then had immunity there's no way I'd be happily sat back relaxing with no concern for others. It'd still bother me a lot and I'd be hoping that as a species we can stop this spreading before it gets out of hand.

If it did get out of hand it could lead to over 70 million dead by hitting only half of the world's population, and I said the same thing more than once on here as this started up, way before I said anything about optimism.

Fuck man, get some sleep, as I said it’s no big deal. Yer acting in yer own interests, that’s fine.

We’re all just not quite as shary Mary as we may hope to be, when the shit hits the fan - was my point.

15 minutes ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

Fuck man, get some sleep, as I said it’s no big deal. Yer acting in yer own interests, that’s fine.

We’re all just not quite as shary Mary as we may hope to be, when the shit hits the fan - was my point.

I just had some sleep! And along with most others I'll be acting in the interests of both others and myself to try and prevent myself from getting it. It serves the interests of both obviously because if I don't get it I can't give it to anyone else. If I get it I'll be self isolating and hoping nobody else gets it from me. Wouldn't wish this on anyone.

And either way I'm still concerned about us as a species, the death toll of this unchecked is in the tens of millions, possibly over a hundred million and could easily lead to societal collapse around the world. It's something I'm hoping we avoid every day when checking the map and stats of where it is now.

I can see what your point was as well and haven't taken it as a big deal so am happy to leave it.