You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

10 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Jesus Baltar, sounds like you ordered badly last night.

Just pissed, that's all. It's all so easily preventable. This shit starts in China for a reason. No other country is bringing exotic creatures from across the planet and putting them together in food markets.  Many of these are creatures that are not meant to be handled, let alone fucking eaten by humans. Many of these animals would never meet in the wild yet here they are, unnaturally caged next to each other in disgusting conditions. Is it any wonder fucked up diseases are coming from these places? China needs to sort it shit out and stop fucking around with and eating things humans are not meant to. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

Have they explained Italy's crazy mortality rate?

They have 463 dead and altogether about 1,200 dead or seriously ill on 9,200 cases. Korea has less than 100 dead or seriously ill on 7,600. Switzerland 2 dead on close to 400, France less than 100 dead and seriously ill on 1,400 cases.

I know Italy has a problem with an aging population but Japan's rate is just 43 dead or seriously ill on 543.

They must be underreporting the number of cases.

A report I read yesterday said they think it may have been floating around a hospital for weeks before anyone knew anything about it. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

First case confirmed in Wrexham... are people waking up to this now? We all know enough people that we are likely to lose people we know & Boris Fucking Johnson is saying we should maybe just take it on the chin!

Johnson is an absolute bell end mate. His whole life he's had everything handed to him so he thinks everything is a big laugh. He's constantly surrounded by sycophants though so don't expect him to change. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

My take from this is what I'd expect, lack of organization, slow response and people massively not following instructions, it's either panic over unnecessary stuff or total disregard for the important aspects. Lack of proper response or total overreaction.

Still does not fully explain high mortality from the start.  

7 minutes ago, SasaS said:

My take from this is what I'd expect, lack of organization, slow response and people massively not following instructions, it's either panic over unnecessary stuff or total disregard for the important aspects. Lack of proper response or total overreaction.

So, a lot like the UK then!

Don't worry folks, the NHS will cope. We get an extra £350M a week now according to Boris' Brexit promise.

We as an intelligent population decided to elect a party that hates our health service, deliberately runs it down and wishes to see it sold off, as opposed to voting for a party that promised all the funds the NHS would need. I hope the thick Tory bastards that struggle to find medical help should they be afflicted remember their vote.

6 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Probably a level or two bellow, Italy is not exactly famous for organizing things . Keep an eye on Switzerland and Germany, if it goes tits up there, it's over.

More beds per capita than us though. I think our response has been woeful. We've basically done nothing and just tested people who have been to hotspot areas. There are probably hundreds of infected people walking around London Underground now.

6 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

More beds per capita than us though. I think our response has been woeful. We've basically done nothing and just tested people who have been to hotspot areas. There are probably hundreds of infected people walking around London Underground now.

Considering that millions use the Underground each day, the true number is likely in the thousands.

Guest Pistonbroke
26 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Don't worry folks, the NHS will cope. We get an extra £350M a week now according to Boris' Brexit promise.

We as an intelligent population decided to elect a party that hates our health service, deliberately runs it down and wishes to see it sold off, as opposed to voting for a party that promised all the funds the NHS would need. I hope the thick Tory bastards that struggle to find medical help should they be afflicted remember their vote.

I'm not sure that is the case anymore. Intelligent compared to some, but nowhere near where it used to be. It is down to stupidity and a lack of giving a fuck why such things escalate. 

I feel a bit more optimistic now that we might be able to manage this. It looks like governments that aren't taking it seriously will soon run into a situation where their health services start collapsing under the stress, which then brings on the more authoritarian but effective measures because they have no other option.

It's hard to get my head around the idea that I'm fine with governments doing stuff like this but when looking at the lives that can be saved there's not really any other way that's as effective (or that people will actually carry out properly) I don't think.

If it happens it could be that :

- Idiots like Trump and Johnson bluff until health services are badly overrun then they'll follow similar patterns to China and Italy.

- Other countries will eventually do the same and if they don't they'll be ostracised until they do.

- By late April/May or so things could start returning to normal in most countries badly affected now.

I can understand wanting to choose the appropriate time to lock down regions or indeed the whole country. We're not China and don't have the centralised command and control structures in place which an autocratic state such as China does.

However the complete lack of control of hundreds if not thousands of people returning via dozens of flights from a quarantined country such as Italy just beggars belief. How many of those individuals have returned to work or are out spreading the virus in the community? Many people will believe it doesn't affect them. It doesn't appear that we're even tracking them to ensure that they're self-isolating? The more we learn of government planning, the more slap dash it appears.

Interesting watching Matt Hancock being unable to explain any plans in detail. How are they going to re-register retired doctors and nurses and where are they going to be deployed given that they're often precisely the demographic we need to protect? Perhaps if the government hadn't allow tens of thousands of vacancies to arise we wouldn't need such desperate measures?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Just had a package delivered by DHL and the bloke was wearing a mask. He then proceeded to pull down his mask so he could say 'Please sign here.' Sheesh, people are so fucking thick. 

Missed opportunity. When he pulled his mask down I’d have pretended to cough.

54 minutes ago, clangers said:

Nottingham Forest's owner has contracted the virus, was at their last home game apparently. Better off skipping the director's box then.

Hasn’t he said he’s had it as opposed to he’s got it now. Last home game was Milwall, so we can cut him some slack there...

I'm privy to a briefing being given by the Department of Health. Basically if you are under 45 you're not really at risk and the younger you are the safer you are, even if you have underlying conditions. The virus is killed by sunlight and fresh air (so move into a tent). In a couple of weeks all non-essential everything is going to be cancelled. We're going the way of Italy.

Apparently the reason that they haven't taken this action yet is because people would get bored of obeying and that would lead to a double peak, which is the worst possible outcome.

If you are over 45 and have any underlying health conditions, don't get near anybody, wash you hands all the time, don't touch your face and isolate yourself as much as possible. 

I'm not scaremongering here. A couple of businesses which I am involved with stand to lose a lot of revenue, but this is more serious than most people realise and it's important to protect yourself and your loved ones.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

I've read Italy has a good health service with higher ratio of beds to population than we do . Mind you most western countries do thanks to the fucking Tories.  Johnson and his ilk will have blood on their hands.