You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Champ said:

I’m seeing one of my GP friends tomorrow. I’m very interested to see if she will make me take this a bit more seriously 

The wife's auntie is a GP with her own practice. She told us to stock up, particularly food, paracetamol and - the big one - toilet roll. 

And I would, but I'm too lazy. 

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

The wife's auntie is a GP with her own practice. She told us to stock up, particularly food, paracetamol and - the big one - toilet roll. 

And I would, but I'm too lazy. 

Once people have stripped your skin to use as bog roll and start in on eating you, you'll be cursing yourself for not getting paracetamol to ease the pain.

First confirmed human to animal transmission.

Experts have confirmed the first known case of human-to-animal transmission of the coronavirus after a Pomeranian dog in Hong Kong was found to have been infected with low levels of the disease. 

Last week the dog, whose 60-year-old human companion is in hospital with the illness, was placed under quarantine after nasal and oral samples tested “weak positive” for Covid-19. This finding sparked much scepticism from scientists around the world who said it was unlikely the disease could jump species so quickly.

Hong Kong authorities said all pets whose owners test positive for the coronavirus should be put under quarantine.

The dog was first tested on February 26 and now three further tests have confirmed that the Pomeranian has low levels of infection.

Experts from the University of Hong Kong and the World Organisation for Animal Health have “unanimously agreed” that this is a case of human-to-animal transmission, a spokesman for Hong Kong’s Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department has said. 

The dog has not shown any signs of disease and the Hong Kong authorities have not said why the dog was tested in the first place.

A second dog is also under quarantine at the department’s animal holding centre but has tested negative for the disease.

The department will continue to closely monitor the Pomeranian who will only be returned to its owner when the test result is negative, authorities have said.

The Hong Kong government said that there is no evidence that pets can transmit Covid-19 to their owners or that they can become sick.

The spokesman added: “Apart from maintaining good hygiene practices, pet owners need not be overly concerned and under no circumstances should they abandon their pets.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/experts-confirm-human-animal-spread-coronavirus/

10 hours ago, Champ said:

I’m seeing one of my GP friends tomorrow. I’m very interested to see if she will make me take this a bit more seriously 

It’s costing me upwards of £3500 in a dive trip I can’t make because I can’t get into the country, flights I can’t take and accommodation. And the insurance company won’t pay out because Coronavirus isn’t part of the policy wording for cancelled trips and the trip hasn’t actually been cancelled. 

Cunt virus. 

• Upvote 1

One or 2 snippets I've heard via NHS workers is that the it is now working on the scenario that 80% of us will contract the virus, 3.2% will pop their clogs and it'll be around for 16 weeks. I don't think I have that many shows and PS4 games to catch up on. And that's a shit tonne of toilet rolls I need to stock up on.

• Upvote 1

This could be one of the reasons why they're saying face masks don't work. Normal surgical masks don't, it's a type known as N95 that does. Obviously the general public trying to buy these masks would make this even worse :

HHS clarifies US has about 1% of face masks needed for ‘full-blown’ coronavirus pandemic

edit : a lot of the stock seems to include surgical masks too, which would mean it's even worse than it makes out. From the article :

“Supplies are rapidly depleting. WHO estimates that, each month, 89 million medical masks will be required for the COVID-19 response, 76 million examination gloves and 1.6 million goggles,” Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of WHO, said separately at a news conference at the organization’s Geneva headquarters. He said manufacturers need to increase personal protective gear supplies by 40%.

Almost at 100,000 cases now as well with community spread in several countries, can we declare a pandemic yet or what? The way it's blown up in Iran, Italy and South Korea is fucking crazed.

I was going to joke about potions of cure disease from Skyrim working on this but I can't even bring myself to do that (I've no issues with anyone else joking, would be a whole lot more miserable without it). Maybe that's me being a miserable old cunt though.

In an ideal world we'd have huge stocks of these fucking N95 masks and every country would recommend their use. This could rapidly slow the spread of the disease (despite current "official" advice) and maybe even bring it under control if other advised methods were still used along with it.

I hope these masks are never short in stock like this again. This should serve as a serious warning shot for our species, because something could arrive in the future that's a whole lot worse and if so we can't afford to be this half-arsed with a response to it. I know it sounds like shitty doom and gloom and maybe it is, but this is in reality really fucked up.

3 hours ago, skend04 said:

One or 2 snippets I've heard via NHS workers is that the it is now working on the scenario that 80% of us will contract the virus, 3.2% will pop their clogs and it'll be around for 16 weeks. I don't think I have that many shows and PS4 games to catch up on. And that's a shit tonne of toilet rolls I need to stock up on.

Is that based on the population of the whole UK? If it is, that means they're expecting a couple of million deaths from this thing in the UK alone. Grim.

4 hours ago, TheBitch said:

It’s costing me upwards of £3500 in a dive trip I can’t make because I can’t get into the country, flights I can’t take and accommodation. And the insurance company won’t pay out because Coronavirus isn’t part of the policy wording for cancelled trips and the trip hasn’t actually been cancelled. 

Cunt virus. 

Bastards 

4 hours ago, skend04 said:

We’re genuinely running low on loo roll. I’m considering writing that I’m not panic buying on my back as the other shoppers tut as they go past me

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Champ said:

We’re genuinely running low on loo roll. I’m considering writing that I’m not panic buying on my back as the other shoppers tut as they go past me

Plenty of kitchen roll in the local Asda if you run out of bog roll. But dont tell everyone.

1 hour ago, General Dryness said:

Is that based on the population of the whole UK? If it is, that means they're expecting a couple of million deaths from this thing in the UK alone. Grim.

I'm assuming it's the population as a whole. Obviously it's likely worse case but it's defo grim.

38 minutes ago, skend04 said:

I'm assuming it's the population as a whole. Obviously it's likely worse case but it's defo grim.

I’d take anything people hear from NHS workers with a pinch of salt. They are open to speculation as much as the rest of us and if they were being officially briefed the death rate could be 3.2% it’d leak to the press long before someone on TLW found out about it. 

This is from the chief medical officer before to a select committee. I highly doubt he’s going to say this publicly when the NHS are being told it’s a lot higher. 

It’s worth checking out the link to see what he had to say:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/mar/05/chief-medical-officer-chris-whitty-questioned-by-mps-live-news?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

F9D4FE2F-D8F3-4860-AE94-C13C5E8881FB.png

• Upvote 1