You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Got a few tickets for some time off in April for a short trip to Europe, now wondering whether booking everything else will just be throwing good money after bad...

The official guidance is shite though. Feels well outdated already, still purely phrased toward international containment when we can easily see that's a losing battle on a global scale. I understand the need to mitigate regardless but surely there should be some widespread screening plan, especially for at risk demographics, not just "if you haven't been to Iran in the last fortnight you'll be sound".

Just screams "we have no resources in place for this!" That or speaks to the nation's perception of there being no middle ground between being a lunatic hypochondriac or criminally negligent when it comes to feeling a bit under the weather. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was everywhere already.

1 minute ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I was looking forward to going on one of the frecciarossa trains too! 

Look on the bright side. By the time you get the all clear to travel to Rome again it’ll have culled so many people you’ll get a carriage all to yourself.

Had a woman who turned up with symptoms yesterday and sat in our waiting area for an hour only to bugger off once she'd been tested and isolated, really selfish like, both her and her partner acknowledged they knew not to come in and saw the signs, but still though it was o.k. to potentially pass it on to others just so they could get the result from the swabs and they used public transport to get to the department. We had a guy about a week ago do the same who when the test results came back was like "well that's lucky because I've just come back from Singapore with bad symptoms" well why didn't you tell the receptionist or phlebotomist at a bare minimum you bad mong.

I genuinely think the biggest issue the U.K. has with this is not just that we have a high population density, but that there is no collective memory of an epidemic/pandemic, the last significant one that effected these shores being the Spanish flu (fortunately this is milder). So the population have a poor understanding of infection prevention and control, the fact we are quite an atomized society where the notion of the individual is greater than the collective may also be causing a few problems.

One of the joys of working for a scientific research organisation is that someone, by the name of Jace, found my email address on the internet and sent me this yesterday.  

Subject: COVID 19 - Status Report

Please look into this and verify everything.
thanks

Novel Corona

1. Gestation/incubation period of 14 days inside a host

2. Viruses cannot survive outside of a host but COVID-19 strain can survive outside of its host for around 2 and a half weeks maybe 3 weeks and be picked up by its host from any surface with the host infected and not be symptomatic for another 2 weeks

3. May have been engineered to only target certain Asian descent with certain genetic properties (generally westerners or Caucasian people might be not be immured but will not cause death at all).

4. China not releasing real figures, there might be at least 50 thousands deaths already at the time of writing this report and more than 200 thousand infected since it was detected in China and India in December.

5. China had to locked down 2 small cities since December when the virus was detected and was only reported to WHO in January.

6. People from this locked down cities are literally starving to death due to lack of emergency food stored in their homes and unable to venture outside to get or buy some food for their families.

7 March might be the peak of the virus where a good/large portion of the planet and its population are severely affected/could be dead. 60% of the world population mainly consist of Asian descent.

8. If corona virus can live outside of its host for more than 2 weeks on any surface then it might be wise to not only restrict air travel to and from china but to also halt all shipments and cargo coming from the Chinese region and track down and quarantine all products that have arrived in the country from china since December 2019.

9. Corona virus cure might come in a form of a microchip inserted in the right arm claiming to change the DNA/RNA of the person injected with it thereby changing their molecular biology rendering them impervious to the said virus.

10. This will create a mass panic so instead of people going against being injected by a microchip they will be lining up for it. Compromising ones privacy, data, finances and every data linked to that persons metadata.

11. Two strains of Corona virus, version one is highly contagious but not as deadly as the second type. Version two is more virulent and will cause sudden heart failure similar to people being shown on social media dropping dead.

12. American govt. prepping the US military to deal with a a full on pandemic outbreak due to the novel corona virus outbreak to protect its military personnel and assets and their citizens. While in Australia mainstream media encouraging people to go to shopping centers to support local businesses.
Would the Australian government rather lose several millions in lost profits and tourism income or would it rather lose several million Australians due to the virus outbreak. The needs of the many outweighs the needs of the few. Would they want to line up their pockets with blood money that will cost several million lives.

9. Corona virus cure might come in a form of a microchip inserted in the right arm claiming to change the DNA/RNA of the person injected with it thereby changing their molecular biology rendering them impervious to the said virus.

Some microchip that, is it a Pentium?

55 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Clearly a massive conspiracy to implant tracking chips in the entire worlds population.

1 minute ago, Chairman Meow said:

If it's not at least an i9 or Ryzen 2920 they can fuck of it they think they're chipping me. 

I'm a bit worried about the Geforce Titan X I got last year which they said was the annual 'flu vaccine, fuckin' thing doesn't even have ray tracing.

5 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I'm a bit worried about the Geforce Titan X I got last year which they said was the annual 'flu vaccine, fuckin' thing doesn't even have ray tracing.

But at least when you die you'll see your death in glorious 4K. 

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

3. May have been engineered to only target certain Asian descent with certain genetic properties (generally westerners or Caucasian people might be not be immured but will not cause death at all).

WTF? What have us Asians ever done to have a virus engineered specifically for us? Racist!

This is a nightmare...

Hi TheBitch,

We are contacting you with an update on travel restrictions from the government in Solomon Islands regarding your upcoming trip on 21 MAR to 31 MAR 2020.

Any person who has travelled from or transited through the following countries at any time in the 14 days immediately before the day on which they arrive in Solomons will not be permitted to enter the country – People’s Republic of China, Republic of Korea, Japan, Singapore, Italy, Hong Kong SAR, Thailand, Iran, Chinese Taipei and Macau.

If your flight is via any of the above countries then we would advise contacting your airline to reroute your flight through a destination which is not listed above. Close monitoring and strict clearance by the relevant authorities will also be conducted at Honiara Airport.

Please let us know if you are affected by this new regulation.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

This is a nightmare...

Hi TheBitch,

We are contacting you with an update on travel restrictions from the government in Solomon Islands regarding your upcoming trip on 21 MAR to 31 MAR 2020.

Any person who has travelled from or transited through the following countries at any time in the 14 days immediately before the day on which they arrive in Solomons will not be permitted to enter the country – People’s Republic of China, Republic of Korea, Japan, Singapore, Italy, Hong Kong SAR, Thailand, Iran, Chinese Taipei and Macau.

If your flight is via any of the above countries then we would advise contacting your airline to reroute your flight through a destination which is not listed above. Close monitoring and strict clearance by the relevant authorities will also be conducted at Honiara Airport.

Please let us know if you are affected by this new regulation.

I can't believe you're actually called TheBitch.

2 hours ago, skend04 said:

WTF? What have us Asians ever done to have a virus engineered specifically for us? Racist!

Bloody typical that. Always complaining about what a hard time you get, then as soon as someone makes something specifically just for you all you do is moan about it.

Someone worked bloody hard on that virus, the least you could do is appreciate it. Ingrate.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Some doctor on TV this morning said wearing a face mask will be no use trying to avoid the virus.

A face mask might help trying to avoid capture after robbing a bank though.

Certain types of masks do help prevent the virus so I'm not sure why they're saying this here and in the US because it's wrong. I've seen some reports about fears of masks selling out and causing problems for medical staff being a key issue so maybe it's that. I don't see how lying is helping things though, or being on air as a doctor and not even knowing that some do work to prevent it.

This is the type that works : https://www.livescience.com/respirators-prevent-coronavirus-infection-study.html

• Upvote 1