You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

3 hours ago, Mudface said:

I've just done the weekly shop at the local Morrison's here- the frozen aisle had been hammered, and a few other areas like disinfectant wipes and tissues were running really low. It might just have been the time I went, but they're usually very quick to restock at busy times. People are mental. The problem now is, do I buy extra things just in case, exacerbating any potential shortages, or do I risk seeing if people are going to act normally and not panic-stricken assholes.

Buy a gun

Then take other people shit when the shit goes down. If Hollywood has taught me anything when in for a Mad Max style life from here on out. 

Currently booby trapping the garden. The postman's in for a shock when he falls on the punji sticks

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Buy a gun

Then take other people shit when the shit goes down. If Hollywood has taught me anything when in for a Mad Max style life from here on out. 

Currently booby trapping the garden. The postman's in for a shock when he falls on the punji sticks

I have a plentiful supply of engines, spare parts, welding equipment and steel. I'm going full road warrior come the apocalypse. 

The US response is going to be the cause of widespread pandemic.

Vice-incompetent Pence running the show, searching the Bible for answers. Testing for the virus costs $1500 to $3000 so many people will avoid self reporting. Then you have the Tangerine Toddler and his cheer squad downplaying the significance of the virus. The arch idiot Rush Limbaugh claiming it is just the common cold being weaponised (horrible fucking term) by the evil lefties to bring down Trump.

Doomed. We're all doomed.

9 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

The US response is going to be the cause of widespread pandemic.

Vice-incompetent Pence running the show, searching the Bible for answers. Testing for the virus costs $1500 to $3000 so many people will avoid self reporting. Then you have the Tangerine Toddler and his cheer squad downplaying the significance of the virus. The arch idiot Rush Limbaugh claiming it is just the common cold being weaponised (horrible fucking term) by the evil lefties to bring down Trump.

Doomed. We're all doomed.

This, exactly. It needs a global response, ignoring the petty ideological bullshit. 

The Tangerine tyrants mind-numbing incompetence has been on display for a while this article scares the bejesus out of me. He will be the direct cause of who knows how many cases and how many deaths from the virus.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/01/trump-coronavirus-cuts-robert-reich

I see the first case here in Dublin confirmed yesterday is from a school skiing trip to northern Italy last week with some posh school. 

Can someone explain to me what kind of wanker parent would send their child skiing to a place where this virus is rather prevalent? 

All these little posh wankers going off skiing in their midterm break and bringing it back. Surely to fuck, a sensible parent would say. "ok Johnny, we paid for your school trip, but for the sake of yourself, your family, and the whole fucking country, we'll keep you at home this time" 

Is that not common sense? 

Now the funny thing is, this school is now closed for 2 weeks while the teenagers that where on this trip, "self isolate" 

Oh yeah, because those ever responsible teenagers, now with 2 weeks off school are really going to stay in their bedrooms aren't they. 

Can we not just stop all flights, in and out of effected regions, is it really that difficult to do this? 

There's no surprise that conspiracy theories are going around.

Johns Hopkins University, that runs the page that some/a lot of us use to check the latest numbers, partnered with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the World Economic Forum on October 18th last year, to carry out a "pandemic tabletop exercise" that simulated a coronavirus outbreak. It ended at the 18 month stage with 65 million deaths (more details here.)

I've said myself on here that if half of the world's population got this it could result in around 77 million deaths, little did I know that the site I use to check the numbers had ran a simulation for the same thing and arrived at a fairly close number themselves, weeks before the actual outbreak started.

That's one fucker of a coincidence. And of all people here, yes I know. We're not supposed to point things like this out, but that to me really is crazy.

And now I have to do the disclaimer thing too of course, where I point out that no I don't think Bill Gates manufactured the virus in a Wuhan lab and is then going to be using scifi waves to kill a load of us off (Sugar Ape posted something crazy two or three pages back pointing out how mental the conspiracy theories have already got, and that was saying the same type of shit.)

I'd guess it's more of a case of reality itself fucking with us in the same way that connected events are so close to each other on rare occasions. For conspiracy theorists that have been raving about terrorist events being so close to authorities carrying out simulated exercises just before the dates of those events though, this is going to be in the same area for them by the looks of it.

It's clearly not normal, but like I said probably just a freak occurance. This is why conspiracy theorists are almost definitely going to run with it though, and probably for a long time to come.

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

There's no surprise that conspiracy theories are going around.

Johns Hopkins University, that runs the page that some/a lot of us use to check the latest numbers, partnered with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the World Economic Forum on October 18th last year, to carry out a "pandemic tabletop exercise" that simulated a coronavirus outbreak. It ended at the 18 month stage with 65 million deaths (more details here.)

I've said myself on here that if half of the world's population got this it could result in around 77 million deaths, little did I know that the site I use to check the numbers had ran a simulation for the same thing and arrived at a fairly close number themselves, weeks before the actual outbreak started.

That's one fucker of a coincidence. And of all people here, yes I know. We're not supposed to point things like this out, but that to me really is crazy.

And now I have to do the disclaimer thing too of course, where I point out that no I don't think Bill Gates manufactured the virus in a Wuhan lab and is then going to be using scifi waves to kill a load of us off (Sugar Ape posted something crazy two or three pages back pointing out how mental the conspiracy theories have already got, and that was saying the same type of shit.)

I'd guess it's more of a case of reality itself fucking with us in the same way that connected events are so close to each other on rare occasions. For conspiracy theorists that have been raving about terrorist events being so close to authorities carrying out simulated exercises just before the dates of those events though, this is going to be in the same area for them by the looks of it.

It's clearly not normal, but like I said probably just a freak occurance. This is why conspiracy theorists are almost definitely going to run with it though, and probably for a long time to come.

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to suggest here. I'd imagine similar exercises and scenarios are simulated on a regular basis to try and improve preparedness for when this kind happens. If there was anything nefarious occurring, I doubt they'd invite media to the event and publish extensive videos of it...

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

It's more the case that events that aren't really connected or that close to each other get lines drawn between them by people desperate to find some sort of pattern.

It's the equivalent of suspecting arson because a building catches fire within 7 days of its last weekly fire alarm test.