You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

I think it looks like it's a pandemic now and that it's too late to stop the spread, but they're fearing calling it a pandemic.

Looks that way, will they ever be prepared to officially call it that? We definitely need to win the next 4 and get it over with.

I was listening to some expert earlier, no idea who he was, but was on the radio so must be an expert. He said that at some point in the very near future globally we'll have to accept that containment has failed and that mitigation is the only option. It's the time it takes for the global community to recognise this that could turn this into a serious global disaster. The negative effects of containment (economic impact, logistics and supply restrictions affecting the distribution of medicine) outweigh the limited benefits of containment (restriction of movement and quarantine limiting the spread). Apparently there's now a shortage of shipping containers in the US?

49 minutes ago, clangers said:

Looks that way, will they ever be prepared to officially call it that? We definitely need to win the next 4 and get it over with.

I was listening to some expert earlier, no idea who he was, but was on the radio so must be an expert. He said that at some point in the very near future globally we'll have to accept that containment has failed and that mitigation is the only option. It's the time it takes for the global community to recognise this that could turn this into a serious global disaster. The negative effects of containment (economic impact, logistics and supply restrictions affecting the distribution of medicine) outweigh the limited benefits of containment (restriction of movement and quarantine limiting the spread). Apparently there's now a shortage of shipping containers in the US?

It doesn't look like they're taking it seriously enough, when we have people in power more bothered about the economy though it probably explains it. This is one of the only things I've seen that tries to work out why it's not been called a pandemic yet, from New Scientist :

Bruce Aylward of the WHO, just back from heading an international mission to China, reports that it used full-on mitigation – stopping travel, keeping people inside, shutting down the huge city of Wuhan – in Hubei province, which had community spread before control efforts even began. As a result the epidemic stopped climbing and new cases are falling steeply, says Aylward.

Everywhere else, China stopped community spread from developing by contact tracing and quarantine – and reminding everyone to wash their hands and monitor their temperature. Some places also used mitigation measures such as cancelling public gatherings, school and work as well. The key, says Aylward, was tailoring the approach to local circumstances.

That seems to be the WHO’s concern: call this a pandemic, and countries will apply blanket measures designed for flu. “People think it’s like SARS so you do things that way, or it’s a pandemic so you run and mitigate,” Aylward said during a press conference in Beijing. “If we only approach it with a binary SARS-influenza mentality, we are not going to have the agility of approach that we’ve seen in China that is going to be fundamental to beating this on a global scale.”

Yet thinking seems to be binary. Nancy Messonnier, head of the CDC’s centre for respiratory diseases, says the US will use containment until it gets signs of community spread – then the strategy will change.

Meanwhile the WHO seems to have a third problem with the P-word. “Using the word pandemic now does not fit the facts but it may certainly cause fear,” said Tedros. Asked about the WHO’s reluctance to call a pandemic, WHO spokesperson Tarik Jasarevic said “it is important to focus on actions and not on words.”

True – but words matter. Reluctance to tell the public the truth for fear of causing panic has plagued responses to other disease emergencies, notably BSE in Britain. Risk communication experts warn that not telling the public that containment will not prevent a pandemic – but might still slow it – risks greater shock over what comes next.

Covid-19: Why won't the WHO officially declare a coronavirus pandemic?

4 minutes ago, Elite said:

Creator is from Widnes I think, if you can deal with those fumes on a daily basis you'll survive this shit.

I live in Canny Farm and I'm originally from Huyton. All I'm saying is, as much as I want us to finally win the title, I think preventing people from getting sick and dying is a bit more important!

5 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

I live in Canny Farm and I'm originally from Huyton. All I'm saying is, as much as I want us to finally win the title, I think preventing people from getting sick and dying is a bit more important!

Worry about it IF it happens mate.

28 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Ain't no fixing it at this point, most of us are going to be exposed to/contract COVID-19 at some point.

A bunch of old people and those with respiratory disease are going to die. The rest of us will be fine after a week or so.

That's me fucked then, stupid asthma!

48 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

That's me fucked then, stupid asthma!

Hey, I spent the last 12 years living in Siberia where the air quality is ... subpar. Everything heated by coal. I have asthma and borderline COPD and have to take regular medication to open my airway.

I reckon my odds are about as bad as anyone's can be on the right side of 40. Fortunately, that still means it looks like 1% mortality or so.

Report in the Guardian today that a Japanese patient who had initially tested positive, recovered and tested negative but then developed the virus again and tested positive a second time. Similar reports have come from China too.

We're all double fucked.